USC releases Bru McCoy from NLI, signs with Texas

naptownskinsfan

And another black eye for USC under Helton, losing their only 5* recruit.  It's looking like a pretty dumb decision to keep him now. 

It appears USC has indeed suffered yet another significant blow to its flailing football program.

After weeks worth of speculation, it was reported Thursday that prized 2019 signee Bru McCoy was mulling a transfer from USC to Texas; it was subsequently confirmed that the wide receiver’s name is now listed in the NCAA transfer database.  A day later, it’s now being reported that USC has granted McCoy a release from his National Letter of Intent, which the prospect signed last December.

It should be noted that a USC official has declined to confirm or deny the report that McCoy has been released.

Provided that the release has indeed been granted, the catch would be that McCoy has enrolled at what would be his now-former university and attended classes the past couple of weeks, meaning he would need a waiver for immediate eligibility regardless of whether he moves on to Texas or any other FBS program.  The good news for McCoy and his new program, whoever it is, is that a waiver could be a foregone conclusion, given the timing of the recruit’s signing/enrolling in school and newly-minted Trojans offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury‘s departure for a head job in the NFL.

Regardless of how that part of the equation ultimately plays out, this would still serve as yet another black eye for Clay Helton and his beleaguered program.

McCoy is the highest-rated member of USC’s 2019 recruiting class, the only five-star prospect pulled in by Helton & Company this cycle.  On 247Sports.com‘s composite board, McCoy was rated as the No. 1 athlete in the country; the No. 2 player at any position in the state of California; and the No. 9 player overall in this class.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/25/report-usc-releases-five-star-2019-signee-bru-mccoy-from-nli/

And it's been announced he's signed with Texas

The crown jewel of USC’s 2019 recruiting class is all but officially gone.

Citing unnamed sources, Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports is reporting that Bru McCoy has signed a financial aid agreement with Texas and will, instead of for the Trojans, play his college football for the Longhorns.  Per Thamel, “McCoy has been admitted into school at Texas and is preparing to begin classes in Austin next week.”

The report comes on the same day it was confirmed that McCoy had been granted a release by USC from his National Letter of Intent, which he signed in December.  McCoy had been mulling a transfer from USC for weeks, with UT considered a likely option.

McCoy had already enrolled in USC and had taken classes the past two weeks prior to his decision to enter the NCAA transfer portal.  Because of that, McCoy will need to seek a waiver from the NCAA that would grant him immediate eligibility this season; because of the timing of the Kliff Kingsbury departure for the NFL, it’s expected the wide receiver will gain that waiver.

McCoy is the highest-rated member of USC’s 2019 recruiting class, the only five-star prospect pulled in by Helton & Company this cycle.  On 247Sports.com‘s composite board, McCoy was rated as the No. 1 athlete in the country; the No. 2 player at any position in the state of California; and the No. 9 player overall in this class.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/25/report-five-star-2019-usc-signee-bru-mccoy-signs-with-texas/

And should gain immediate eligibility because of Kingsbury.  

6 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

And it's been announced he's signed with Texas

And should gain immediate eligibility because of Kingsbury.  

I’m all for players having more freedom and stuff.

But the NCAA granting a hardship waiver because of an offensive coordinator who was on staff for 4 weeks and never coached a single snap or practice would be a complete joke. I don’t think he’ll get it either. And he really shouldn’t.

1 hour ago, BigD88 said:

I’m all for players having more freedom and stuff.

But the NCAA granting a hardship waiver because of an offensive coordinator who was on staff for 4 weeks and never coached a single snap or practice would be a complete joke. I don’t think he’ll get it either. And he really shouldn’t.

I agree, but the some of the hardship waivers seem pretty easy to me, especially if the player said that Coach X promised me the world.  

2 hours ago, ATX hombre said:

LJ was mostly playing in the slot. I think McCoy is looked at as an outside WR

He'll play all over the place, but how he'll be used will be similar to LJ.  He'll start out at H/slot on the depth chart, which is what LJ was listed as, but still play some X and Z as well. 

1 hour ago, Texasmade said:

He'll play all over the place, but how he'll be used will be similar to LJ.  He'll start out at H/slot on the depth chart, which is what LJ was listed as, but still play some X and Z as well. 

But with Whittington and Smith not to mention Moore and Jamison slot is a lot more crowded than the outside WR position. Unless you see Whittington as an outside WR

5 hours ago, ATX hombre said:

But with Whittington and Smith not to mention Moore and Jamison slot is a lot more crowded than the outside WR position. Unless you see Whittington as an outside WR

Jordan's going to start off at running back and Jamison's going back to defense. Josh is more of an X/Z, who played slot out of necessity, although he can certainly do it and Jake will play all over the place. 

We'll see how it shakes out, but Bru was recruited with the intent of being a potential LJ replacement. Either way it's a good problem to have. 

Archived