2019 Draft Prospects

Johnny Nix

Been watching some Blake Cashman after all the hype recently, and man does he look like a stud.  I watched the Ohio State game, and honestly he's as good as any LB in this draft.

I say the Bengals should go OT, DL, or trade back.  With the prospects in this draft, trading back in the first and getting Cashman, I would be happy with.  I know he's not getting any first round hype, but honestly watch the Ohio State game and tell me there's much of a difference between him and the Devins...

16 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Been watching some Blake Cashman after all the hype recently, and man does he look like a stud.  I watched the Ohio State game, and honestly he's as good as any LB in this draft.

I say the Bengals should go OT, DL, or trade back.  With the prospects in this draft, trading back in the first and getting Cashman, I would be happy with.  I know he's not getting any first round hype, but honestly watch the Ohio State game and tell me there's much of a difference between him and the Devins...

I like Cashman too, but not that much to draft him that early. I'd say there is a very good chance he's still there at 42. I don't think we need to trade back in the first to reach on him if we want him. There will be much better prospects on the board if we go that route.

And as much as I keep hearing OL as an option at 11, I don't see it happening. Hart and Miller are being paid as starters. We didn't bring them in at their prices to be swing lineman. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the Bengals are willing to cut ties with Hart or Miller after a year, in which a groomed first round prospect can start in year two. I'm not sure what to expect with this new coaching regime. I just don't think that's how this team operates, unfortunately.

There really isn't a position that is more of a glaring need than the others, except for WLB. Yet almost every position can be upgraded or infused with talent (QB, OL, DL, CB, WR, TE). It's a good problem to have, I guess. It means we can go purely off of BPA. I don't think we're going to be drafting for 2019 as much as for 2020 and beyond, so we can go literally any direction. 

Been watching some pass rushers lately.  Burns, Polite, Gary, and Winovich.  I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised by Winovich and his tape is honestly as good as those other 3.  He's constantly in the backfield.  If by some chance he's still there for our second round pick, I'd jump at the chance to take him...

59 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Been watching some pass rushers lately.  Burns, Polite, Gary, and Winovich.  I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised by Winovich and his tape is honestly as good as those other 3.  He's constantly in the backfield.  If by some chance he's still there for our second round pick, I'd jump at the chance to take him...

At 256 he's a situational pass rusher.  Unless we go with my 3-4 plan, in which case he's a prototypical size for a rush OLB who could likely cover inside Y tight ends and guard the flats in zone coverage.  I like his value on day 2 more than the value of Burns on day 1.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

At 256 he's a situational pass rusher.  Unless we go with my 3-4 plan, in which case he's a prototypical size for a rush OLB who could likely cover inside Y tight ends and guard the flats in zone coverage.  I like his value on day 2 more than the value of Burns on day 1.

I think we need to consider abandoning this style of thinking. Today's NFL is transitioning away from what was once considered a prototypical body type (for any position). Edge rushers have been getting smaller, offensive lineman have been getting smaller and less lengthy, receivers are becoming more reliant on separation rather than size etc.

The NFLs base defense is now the nickel defense. Three CBs are on the field for 70%+ of the snaps. Pass rushers of Winovich's size are no longer "situational". Irregardless of 34/43 alignments, at the end of the day you have four pass rushers, 2 linebackers, 2 safeties and 3 corners on the field for the majority of the snaps. 

I don't think we should penalize Winovich or similarly built pass rushers because they don't fit the Dunlap mold.