2019 Draft Prospects

Johnny Nix

6 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

@TheVillain112 if we do lose Dennard who do you like? I’m assuming you don’t want a 1st round corner

I'm not 100% against a first round corner.  Been reading some stuff lately that's making me think.  Mainly how corners might be more valuable than DL players. I don't agree with it, but there are some solid points supported by this years playoffs.  You have DLs being largely neutralized, and you have a team like the Patriots who decided to trade away Chandler Jones, and pay big money in FA to Stephen Gilmore.  Essentially the theory states that with DLs not being as effective in the postseason, corners become more valuable.

Like I said, I don't buy it but I'm not 100% against drafting a corner early if we can't re-sign Dennard (which is my preference).  If we need to draft a CB after the first round, some names I like are:

• DeAndre Baker (Probably will go first round, but slight chance he's still around when we pick in the 2nd)
  • Julian Love (Same boat as Baker, probably will be off the board)
  • Isaiah Johnson
  • Amani Oruwariye
  • Trayvon Mullen

8 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

I'm not 100% against a first round corner.  Been reading some stuff lately that's making me think.  Mainly how corners might be more valuable than DL players. I don't agree with it, but there are some solid points supported by this years playoffs.  You have DLs being largely neutralized, and you have a team like the Patriots who decided to trade away Chandler Jones, and pay big money in FA to Stephen Gilmore.  Essentially the theory states that with DLs not being as effective in the postseason, corners become more valuable.

Like I said, I don't buy it but I'm not 100% against drafting a corner early if we can't re-sign Dennard (which is my preference).  If we need to draft a CB after the first round, some names I like are:

• DeAndre Baker (Probably will go first round, but slight chance he's still around when we pick in the 2nd)
  • Julian Love (Same boat as Baker, probably will be off the board)
  • Isaiah Johnson
  • Amani Oruwariye
  • Trayvon Mullen

I like Trayvon Mullen. He looked amazing in the championship game

46 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Hard to look better than average when your oline is getting your brains beat in the entire game.  Outside of Big Whit, the Rams oline all **** the bed.

You're being too kind to our former All Pro.  He wasn't beaten as much as Haverstein and the guards, but but he really wasn't part of the solution.

And FWIW, that holding call on the Rams' center was not only a BS call, it changed the rest of the game.  Nullified a 17 yard run, then the Rams had to punt when they couldn't overcome it.  Calls like that are why I think officiating is "not quite on the up and up"  Who knows what would have happened if they scored that drive.

Edited by INbengalfan

39 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

You're being too kind to our former All Pro.  He wasn't beaten as much as Haverstein and the guards, but but he really wasn't part of the solution.

And FWIW, that holding call on the Rams' center was not only a BS call, it changed the rest of the game.  Nullified a 17 yard run, then the Rams had to punt when they couldn't overcome it.  Calls like that are why I think officiating is "not quite on the up and up"  Who knows what would have happened if they scored that drive.

Pats were getting the calls all night.  That holding call was terrible.  If anything the DL grabbed and threw the C.  I didn't watch Whit every play, but I watched him a lot of plays.  Time and again it was the interior oline getting beat like a drum and while Whit may not have been dominant, he certainly wasn't the problem either.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Well he definitely didn't look good last night. He's still young. Hopefully he learns and grows from this.

Here's the thing, Goff has great weapons, a good OL, and good play calling.  It's about as ideal of an environment for a QB in the league.  When some of those parts don't perform well, he's not good enough to elevate those around him with his play.  He's not bad, but he's not great either.  I honestly don't see much of a difference right now between him and say someone like Dak Prescott who if I called average people probably wouldn't argue too much against.  Btw, being average is not necessarily an insult either.

I do agree that he's young, so let's see if he can improve his game and eventually become a top 10 QB, which IMHO he currently isn't...

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

Here's the thing, Goff has great weapons, a good OL, and good play calling.  It's about as ideal of an environment for a QB in the league.  When some of those parts don't perform well, he's not good enough to elevate those around him with his play.  He's not bad, but he's not great either.  I honestly don't see much of a difference right now between him and say someone like Dak Prescott who if I called average people probably wouldn't argue too much against.  Btw, being average is not necessarily an insult either.

I do agree that he's young, so let's see if he can improve his game and eventually become a top 10 QB, which IMHO he currently isn't...

Last night he looked like Prime Time Andy Dalton, but with maybe a stronger arm.

• Like 1