2019 Draft Prospects

Johnny Nix

26 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

He’s got a tall line at Oklahoma and seemed to do fine.

I'm tired of this.  You want Murray.  I can live with it if Taylor really ,likes him.  I'd rather build the o-line and LB first.  If we play OL like we have the past few years, I don't think he will have a ton of success here.  

7 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

I'm tired of this.  You want Murray.  I can live with it if Taylor really ,likes him.  I'd rather build the o-line and LB first.  If we play OL like we have the past few years, I don't think he will have a ton of success here.  

Dude, I swear I’m not trying to push your buttons. I’m just trying to get to the bottom of your argument. I also don’t want us to overlook or write off a very good prospect simply because he’s short. 

I 100% agree however that the offensive line needs work regardless of who’s back their at QB. The beauty of having free agency and the draft is the freedom to address multiple positions. 

7 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

White

Without looking it up, name the starting LBs for the Patriots, Rams, Chiefs, and Saints.

Our LBs are terrible, but I think a lot of that does have to do with coaching, scheme, and favoritism.  FA and non-first round picks are sufficient to fix our LB situation IMO...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Dude, I swear I’m not trying to push your buttons. I’m just trying to get to the bottom of your argument. I also don’t want us to overlook or write off a very good prospect simply because he’s short. 

I 100% agree however that the offensive line needs work regardless of who’s back their at QB. The beauty of having free agency and the draft is the freedom to address multiple positions. 

This is why I shouldn't post on my breaks at school.  My buttons were already pushed.  I want us to fix the line.  Period.  If that isn't fixed, Joe Montana and dan Marino's love child couldn't save the franchise.  Price, I think, will get much better..  I think Westerman gets a chance to really show what he's got.  Having those two step up their game will help.  But if not, and we continue to to give up pressure, it won't matter.  I still think a 5'10" QB needs lanes opened up to see the middle of the field.  Brady's line does that.  If Edelman is running a 5 yard crossing route, the guard and center open that lane to throw (and see) through.  Getting a taller QB helps with that.  When is the last time Dalton hit a TE on a short crossing route over the middle? I maintain part of that is his inability to see over them, as Bodine couldn't anchor.  Price struggled with it last year too. That extra  5-6 inches of height buys a second or so more of time to find a receiver.

edit:  Oklahoma's line gives Murray plenty of time.  When he faces pressure, he has had time to set up and scan the field.  That doesn't happen as much here as we'd all like it to.  If the middle gives up pressure, he's altready scrambling.  Hopefully our WRs will learn to break off routes and look to help either him or Dalton. In the past, they'd just run their routes and then sit around.  No scrambling to get open ( like Antonio Brown) and no breaking off hot routes when Dalton was under pressure.

Edited by INbengalfan

3 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Without looking it up, name the starting LBs for the Patriots, Rams, Chiefs, and Saints.

Our LBs are terrible, but I think a lot of that does have to do with coaching, scheme, and favoritism.  FA and non-first round picks are sufficient to fix our LB situation IMO...

Honestly I would love to try out starting two strong safeties at nickel linebacker. 

Also, I would argue the offense for all those teams played lights out all year, the Chiefs D was garbage. 

Edited by johndeere1707

Goodberry did a 7 rd Bengals draft and in rd 1 had us taking Iowa TE TJ Hockenson.  His reasoning is pretty solid.  Guy can run, has good hands, runs good routes, and what sold him was his ability as a blocker.  Supposed to just be a dominant run blocker at TE, better than anyone else in that regard in years.  Can't say i'd hate it.  Chose him over White and Ferrell.  Top 10 was (Josh Allen/Quinnen Williams/DK Metcalf/Nick Bosa/Jonah Williams/Kyler Murray/Dwayne Haskins/Greedy Williams/Byron Murphy/Ed Oliver).  He did say it was tough seeing Oliver go one spot before he picked.

Full Bengals Draft:

1. TJ Hockenson, TE, Iowa
2. Devin Bush, LB, Michigan
3. Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama State
4. Tyree Jackson, QB, Buffalo
5. Nate Davis, G, Charlotte
6a. Penny Hart, WR, Penn State
6b. Lamont Gaillard, C, Georgia
6c. Gary Johnson, LB, Texas
6d. Hamp Cheevers, CB, Boston College
6e. Gary Jennings, WR, West Virginia
7. Darwin Thompson, RB, Utah State

• Like 1

8 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

Also, I would argue the offense for all those teams played lights out all year, the Chiefs D was garbage. 

That's my point.  To win in today's NFL you need to have a high powered passing offense.  If we're talking about Luke Kuechly coming out of college, I wouldn't hesitate to draft him at #11.  I'm still Ok with Devin White, but there are lot of other players I would prefer over him.  Cody Ford, Jawaan Taylor, Jonah Williams, and Ed Oliver, to name a few...

37 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

To win in today's NFL you need to have a high powered passing offense.

I don’t think we are gonna have that under Dalton. We are a 20-24 point offense. The defense needs to be fixed and whether it’s scheme or personnel it was glaringly obvious that our linebackers could not stop the middle of the field. I agree the offensive line needs fixed but linebacker play was way more detrimental to the team than offensive line 

1 minute ago, johndeere1707 said:

I don’t think we are gonna have that under Dalton. We are a 20-24 point offense. The defense needs to be fixed and whether it’s scheme or personnel it was glaringly obvious that our linebackers could not stop the middle of the field. I agree the offensive line needs fixed but linebacker play was way more detrimental to the team than offensive line 

Jared Goff is not that good of a QB.  I'm interested to see what happens with Dalton under Taylor...

12 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Hopefully our WRs will learn to break off routes and look to help either him or Dalton. In the past, they'd just run their routes and then sit around.  No scrambling to get open ( like Antonio Brown) and no breaking off hot routes when Dalton was under pressure.

The bold is a little hyperbolic. It's not so much the receivers fault as much as it is Dalton's. He just doesn't have a very good off script element to his game. He's not very athletic, mobile, and doesn't have the arm or mechanics to throw from various platforms on the move with accuracy/velocity. He's very limited in the sense he has to play within the framework of the initial play design. The receivers know this, and expect the ball to come out quickly, on time, and with good anticipation; because that's Dalton's game 90% of the time. The same could be said about Brady or Peyton. Whereas someone like Big Ben, Russell Wilson, or Patrick Mahomes are at their best off script. Their receivers know this and react accordingly. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

The NFL has lots of guys who are as fast as Murray and can arm tackle him. 

There are also a lot of guys who aren't as fast as Murray in the NFL and can't catch him. 

Murray isn't going to be breaking tackles at the next level. But he's incredibly difficult to catch and has great instincts in and out of the pocket. He's as elusive, quick, and fast as pretty much any QB prospect you'll ever come across. I wouldn't worry about that one play too much.