2019 Draft Prospects

Johnny Nix

46 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

But to go into the season with Bobby Hart as the starting RT with zero competition is beyond idiotic.

I think you're forgetting which franchise you're talking about. It's no secret the Bengals are frugal when it comes to free agency. They don't hand out that kind of money for a guy to come in and compete for a job. I'd be very comfortable betting Hart is our unquestioned starter in 2019. I think they value him much more than you think.

I don't see us going offensive line in the first round. But I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

44 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Yeah if your defense can stop the run. Which ours can’t. 

This is a fair point, which is why I would be Ok if the team drafted either of the Devins or Dexter Lawrence (after round 1 or in a trade back situation).

Still, there is a bigger need for Ed Oliver on our defense than people think (Or at least I think so).  While I love Geno, we need to think about keeping him fresh.  Also, we've seen the DL be pretty bad when he's not in the lineup.  Ed Oliver might only play 500-600 snaps his rookie season, but those will be critical snaps because he brings something only Geno does today to the DL, and it should keep Geno fresh to be even better.

I've said it before, but getting Geno Atkins v2.0 for the next decade would be ideal... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Oliver is far superior to White, both as a prospect and considering positional value.

I don’t believe in positional value especially when you look at the Bengals scouting department. Vigil has been the only notable name to earn playing time and be somewhat decent. Look at all the misses we’ve made at linebacker over the years, which means we do need to take the drafts best linebacker to hit on that position. 

7 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I don’t believe in positional value especially when you look at the Bengals scouting department. Vigil has been the only notable name to earn playing time and be somewhat decent. Look at all the misses we’ve made at linebacker over the years, which means we do need to take the drafts best linebacker to hit on that position. 

Taking inferior prospects to fill needs is how this team land guys like Billy Price. It's a fools game. Does this mean you would take White over Joey Bosa or Quinnen Williams because we need to hit at LB? I feel as though Oliver can be as good as those two. And frankly, I don't think there is a chance in hell Oliver makes it to 11. 

And positional value is extremely important to consider. Players who can consistently generate pressure getting after the quarterback are rare. It's why their pay grade is approaching QB territory. Their impact is enormous. 

Don't get me wrong, I think White and Bush are worthy of the 11th pick. But Oliver is a blue-chip, top 4 player in this class. You don't pass on those guys and not regret it later.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Taking inferior prospects to fill needs is how this team land guys like Billy Price.

The Bengals definitely reached on Price because they were scared there would be a run on IOL, which there was. Doesn’t really fit the argument here, which is do you take an elite talent at not so much a position of need, vs an elite talent at a position of need, just one that isn’t traditionally valued as such. 

Edited by johndeere1707

5 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

The Bengals definitely reached on Price because they were scared there would be a run on IOL, which there was. 

They reached on Price because they had a gaping hole at center and made the mistake of entering the draft filling for need. Meanwhile the next center was James Daniels who went 39th overall and has looked good so far in Chicago.

9 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Doesn’t really fit the argument here, which is do you take an elite talent at not so much a position of need, vs an elite talent at a position of need, just one that isn’t traditionally valued as such. 

I think that's where we differ, then. I don't think White is on that elite top tier.

27 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I should have said besides the obvious elite players, positional value is what you make it to be. Would I rather have the 5th best at a position or the best? I would rather have the best player at a position, especially one of need 

I'd say it comes down to personal rankings/scoring.  Sometimes the 5th best DL is still way better than the #1 LB, WR, RB, etc.

• Like 1

I feel like I'm probably quoting the wrong spot, but wanted to jump in with having Oliver would be exceptional for us, but his rise on draft boards is probably why White could actually slip to us.  Like it's a 10% chance now, but if Oliver is there, it is about 1%

Edited by INbengalfan

56 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Bengals meeting with Parris Campbell

I would be happy if we went receiver earlier than anticipated. It's an exceptional class and I don't trust John Ross to remain healthy for 16 games.

And we all saw what happened to the offense in Green's absence. Also, Taylor put an emphasis on keep players fresh with rotation during his numerous press conferences. Could that include receiver?