2019 Draft Prospects

Johnny Nix

13 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

RG is that high for you?  We have Little, Westerman, Hopkins or Price, Taylor, and Redmond for the competition.  I'm not suggesting we can't do better, but it isn't the third biggest need IMO.

I'd say, since you are splitting positions into smaller groups, ie OT and OG instead of OL)

WLB, 

SAM

OT

WR/TE

MLB

RB (2)

Backup QB

That's kind of the point. If you have 5 guys competing for a spot and no clear frontrunner, it's probably because none of them are very good. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sparky151 said:

That's kind of the point. If you have 5 guys competing for a spot and no clear frontrunner, it's probably because none of them are very good. 

Who says there isn't a front runner?  I think Little has an inside track.  Westerman won't be tied down by the previous regime, so maybe he gets a fair shot too.  Just because we have five guys doesn't mean none of them are worthy.

16 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:
10 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Who says there isn't a front runner?  I think Little has an inside track.  Westerman won't be tied down by the previous regime, so maybe he gets a fair shot too.  Just because we have five guys doesn't mean none of them are worthy.

If it's a fair competition for once, i think someone will rise to the top and it won't be a huge weakness like previous years.  

The previous regime obviously didn't really believe in competition.  They might have gave it lip service, but when the starter was basically declared by day 3 of camp, that's not a competition.

Between Miller, Westerman and Hopkins, they should be able to get adequate production from the position.

(BTW, not sure who is Little is???)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Probably just lying season and prospect fatigue, but supposedly Nick Bosa isn't as high on boards as people think.  Crazy talk in my opinion.  He was the clear best player of the field before he got hurt at OSU in 2018.

I feel like that happened with Joey.  Teams talked themselves out of him, he dropped and everyone was like "what a huge mistake" once he got into games.  

He should be the number one pick.

26 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Can you imagine if Haskins is sitting there at 11 and we pass. Bengals fans would never leave that alone. And if they do they might as well trade Dalton. Every game he is going to get booed and the “play Haskins” chants will never stop. 

If they decided to trade Dalton for immediate assets, I could live with that.  But 2019 would be ugly, and I couldn't live with that.

I expect 2019 to be ugly anyway. We haven't improved any area of the team in free agency. A rookie linebacker isn't going to fix everything. We have a makeshift coaching staff too. We've already passed on Watson and Mahomes. Let's not repeat the same mistake every year.

42 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I expect 2019 to be ugly anyway. We haven't improved any area of the team in free agency. A rookie linebacker isn't going to fix everything. We have a makeshift coaching staff too. We've already passed on Watson and Mahomes. Let's not repeat the same mistake every year.

They were competitive before a rash of injuries.  If they hit on the rookies, it could help.  That's glass half full.

Glass half empty approach is that they didn't improve anything, injuries will happen again (because it's football), and they'll struggle.

I wouldn't write them off yet, but they're not favorites either.

43 minutes ago, theJ said:

They were competitive before a rash of injuries.  If they hit on the rookies, it could help.  That's glass half full.

Glass half empty approach is that they didn't improve anything, injuries will happen again (because it's football), and they'll struggle.

I wouldn't write them off yet, but they're not favorites either.

In addition,  I'd like to see what a different staff could do with the good players we have.  I feel like different coaches could have a huge effect.  There are  definitely areas of need where we are talent deprived,  but we have a good qb, good receivers, good running backs,  good defensive lineman and a good secondary.  This team didn't reach the sum of it's parts last year. 

If we pass on Haskins and he becomes a star, then it's going to get bad in the stands.  We already whiffed passing on Mahomes to take John Ross.

If we take Haskins, and he fails, then at least we took a shot.  Keeping Dalton at this point is settling for mediocrity.  Plenty of QB's could have looked great in 2015, when literally everything was perfect around Dalton.  He had a top 5 oline, a great defense, one of the best WR groups in the league with AJ/Marvin/Sanu, a dynamic TE in Eifert and a good running game.  Dalton is serviceable, but I have no confidence in us competing for a super bowl while he is our QB.