Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
WindyCity

OT Bobby Massie signs 4 year extension

Recommended Posts

I'm not shocked, he's been a very solid player for us. I would like to know if its a team friendly deal, regardless we still need competition at OT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as only about 2 of the years are guaranteed, I'll be fine with it. Massie is a solid player but he tends to be best in contract years. Prove me wrong, big man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I'm not shocked, he's been a very solid player for us. I would like to know if its a team friendly deal, regardless we still need competition at OT.

Massie signing without testing FA means there will be no contest this year...we could use depth behind Leno & Massie for competition but those two are without doubt the starters...

This deal gives you continuity which is always good and I trust HH but this deal all comes down to the contract. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I'm really wondering if that was an offer to Amos yesterday bc it looks like they are trying to get their loose ends tied up right now to be ahead of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Now I'm really wondering if that was an offer to Amos yesterday bc it looks like they are trying to get their loose ends tied up right now to be ahead of the game.

Always the best thing to do with guys you really want to keep...your depth guys can go test the market but getting your starters tied up early let you really focus in on your draft plans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Massie is a bad player but I'm a little surprised by the 4-year extension. I'd think this means the team trusts Massie more than any other potential replacement options out there. Not a bad move but really interested to see the numbers.

This likely means that at least one of Amos, Callahan or Lynch won't be back. I'd guess Lynch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I don't think Massie is a bad player but I'm a little surprised by the 4-year extension. I'd think this means the team trusts Massie more than any other potential replacement options out there. Not a bad move but really interested to see the numbers.

This likely means that at least one of Amos, Callahan or Lynch won't be back. I'd guess Lynch.

I think people are underestimating how pace feels about availability. Massie and Amos from what I remember have not missed one game so far. I think he really values that. I could see Callahan walking because of that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Massie has played fairly well for us. Good deal. I want that OL intact as much as possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I think people are underestimating how pace feels about availability. Massie and Amos from what I remember have not missed one game so far. I think he really values that. I could see Callahan walking because of that.  

Big reason he never went all in of Alshon...Callahan could be the odd man out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stability.

15 key players now signed through the next 3 years or later

QB: Mitch
Mitch's protection: Massie, Leno, Long, Daniels 
Mitch's targets: Miller, Burton, Gabriel, Wims 

Front 7: Mack, Hicks, Goldman, Nichols, Roquan
Secondary: Kyle Fuller

----------------------------------

21 key players now signed through the next 2 years or later

QB: Mitch

Mitch's protection: Massie, Leno, Long, Daniels 
Mitch's targets: Miller, Burton, Gabriel, Wims, Cohen, Robinson, Shaheen

Front 7: Mack, Hicks, Goldman, Nichols, Roquan, Floyd, 
Secondary: Fuller, Prince, Jackson, Tolliver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IDK how I feel about this yet, I'll know more when I see his deal. He has been average at best IMO, and we shouldn't do more than 2 years guaranteed, and I'm betting now that year 3 is where he can be cut with little dead cap if he declines. He made about $5.1 mil this season, I don't feel he should be making more than that.

 

Really I think I would be more of a fan if we ran a predominantly zone scheme, he doesn't seem to be able to drive anyone but is a plus athlete. Really that showed a lot for most of the season for our starters. It is just a poor fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per Field Yates: Bears under contract through at least 2021: Khalil Mack, Kyle Fuller, Roquan Smith, Akiem Hicks, Mitch Trubisky, Eddie Goldman, Bobby Massie, Charles Leno, Jr., Trey Burton, Kyle Long, James Daniels, Anthony Miller, Taylor Gabriel. Excellent nucleus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contract wise it would be good if this was around $6 per year given that it would offset Sims being cut...$10-$12 mill guaranteed in the first two years then an out in 3 & 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×