Sign in to follow this  
WindyCity

OT Bobby Massie signs 4 year extension

Told you Pace doesn’t like glaring holes he has to plug in draft.  

I knew he would sign an OT.  I didn’t know it would be Massie.  

I wanted to see where Bobbie Massie actually ranked in terms of money compared to RT. People jumped out and said he was the 5th highest paid OT, which on face value is true, but the truth is that is a poor measure of where he actually ranks. Many of the free agent deals behind him were signed years ago when the cap was much smaller and they represented a larger percentage of the teams cap space. 

Based on % of the teams cap space, Bobbie Massie is closer to the 12th highest paid RT in the league.

For example Morgan Moses makes less than Bobbie Massie, but when he signed his deal he was making a larger percentage of the cap.

Chris Hubbard 4.1% [7.3 yearly average/177.2 cap]
Jared Veldheer 5.2% [7/133]
Morgan Moses 4.6% [7.7/167]
Mitchell Schwartz 4.2% [6.6/155.2]
Ryan Schradear 4% [6.3/155.2]

2016 Bobbie Massie 3.8% [6/155.2]
2018 Bobbie Massie 4.1% [8/191]

Massie, inflation adjusted, got a slight raise [.3%] over his previous deal in terms of the cap space he will use up.

He's not who i expected them to spend the money on, but at least he is not god awful.  Also, read a stat, he had 0 holding calls all year.  Very low penalty player which is a good thing from an offensive lineman.  Still hope they draft one.

6 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

He's not who i expected them to spend the money on, but at least he is not god awful.  Also, read a stat, he had 0 holding calls all year.  Very low penalty player which is a good thing from an offensive lineman.  Still hope they draft one.

I do not expect a significant draft resource being spent there.

That would be a lot of the limited resource pool in one spot.

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I do not expect a significant draft resource being spent there.

That would be a lot of the limited resource pool in one spot.

I'd have to think RB is a high priority for us in round 3.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

I'd have to think RB is a high priority for us in round 3.

CB

RB

OLB

I would expect all to be addressed in the draft before OT.

21 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Right now I would say that OL gets moved out of the 3rd and 4th round.

The Bears will have bigger holes to deal with.

I expect a 5th round pick at OG to be spent so that they have a cheap player to compete with Coward in 2020 to replace Long.

I thought Coward was strictly a candidate for the RT slot? I haven't read anything saying he woild go to the interior line. I hope to see the 3rd invested on a sold OG that you can stash for a year behind Long and then we restructure Long in 2020 on a deal as the swing guard.

29 minutes ago, malagabears said:

I thought Coward was strictly a candidate for the RT slot? I haven't read anything saying he woild go to the interior line. I hope to see the 3rd invested on a sold OG that you can stash for a year behind Long and then we restructure Long in 2020 on a deal as the swing guard.

He was on the Bears Barroom and said he is being worked at both OG and OT during the season.

I think in the 5th round we may see an OG to develop.

I think you still see FA 

G, TE, RB, S and CB.

How money gets allocated I have no idea.  They will probably go really cheap on G and TE unless they cut Long. 

Unless they take Hunt they will go really cheap at RB too.

CB and safety I don't know.  Hard to get any value for cheap at those positions unless you get lucky, but its not like there is a lot of money to spend on them.

He is going to plug holes with what he hopes are serviceable bodies, even if they suck, so he can draft who he wants as board falls.  He doesn't want to have to take a position in draft to fill a need.  He wants upside prospects.

He might leave S for draft.  I think like RB he feels he can find S's in draft whenever he wants.

On 1/26/2019 at 8:19 PM, WindyCity said:

Part of what makes the Massie re-signing smart is the supply and demand issue at OT.

I added them up and I am pretty sure that Massie would walk into 19 teams facilities and be the starting RT tomorrow. There was going to be a market for him, he is probably the 2nd or 3rd best free agent OT available.

There will be more options at S or NB then at OT in free agency. That may be why they prioritized him.

This kinda negates my need to comment further on why.

We don't have the specific contract structure yet but if it follows our typical pattern Massie's guarantees will be paid out over years one and two leaving us with options to keep or release in years three and four with little dead cap.

I look at it this way.  He signed for $6 mil apy in 2016.  The cap has increased by roughly 22.5% since then.  On that basis alone he'd be around $7.5 mil apy anyway which is about what I pegged.  $8 mil and change is close enough.

It’s a nice pay raise for Massie, 29, who just completed an $18 million, three-year contract. When you boil down the fine details of the contract, it’s essentially a $15.8 million, two-year contract. At that point, the Bears can make decisions on a yearly basis with no remaining money guaranteed.

RT Bobby Massie

Overview: $40 million, five-year contract, $15.8 million guaranteed

2019: $2.4 million base salary, $6.5 million signing bonus, $100,000 workout bonus

Total: $3.8 million

Cap hit: $3.8 million

Note: Signing bonus and base salary are fully guaranteed.

2020: $6.9 million base salary, $100,000 workout bonus

Total: $7 million

Cap hit: $8.3 million

He took a structure that helps the Bears.

5 years helps the Bears move money around if needed.

2 years $15.8 million as a massive win for the Bears...you get him till he is 32 years old and it then allows you two more drafts to find our next RT while keeping Trubisky safer when he is figuring it all out...excellent work from Pace if he keeps up his level from last year.

17 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

2 years $15.8 million as a massive win for the Bears...you get him till he is 32 years old and it then allows you two more drafts to find our next RT while keeping Trubisky safer when he is figuring it all out...excellent work from Pace if he keeps up his level from last year.

It also keeps him cheap enough after that to keep if he is playing well. It is not a situation where you have to move on soon like Long.