OT Bobby Massie signs 4 year extension

WindyCity

21 minutes ago, malagabears said:

Windy, I've only seen the carryover from 2018 on Spotrac which was about 3.6M IIRC. Are you referring to this figure?

I think the Glennon money was factored in as soon as it became guaranteed by the Cardinals.

I do not think we are getting it now.

I think it came off of the dead cap money for 2019.

21 hours ago, WindyCity said:

It’s a nice pay raise for Massie, 29, who just completed an $18 million, three-year contract. When you boil down the fine details of the contract, it’s essentially a $15.8 million, two-year contract. At that point, the Bears can make decisions on a yearly basis with no remaining money guaranteed.

RT Bobby Massie

Overview: $40 million, five-year contract, $15.8 million guaranteed

2019: $2.4 million base salary, $6.5 million signing bonus, $100,000 workout bonus

Total: $3.8 million

Cap hit: $3.8 million

Note: Signing bonus and base salary are fully guaranteed.

2020: $6.9 million base salary, $100,000 workout bonus

Total: $7 million

Cap hit: $8.3 million

Nice.....the 2019 is actually far less than the $6-$6.5 mil I thought it might be with team opt outs after year two.

I don't know that they could have structured it any better than this.  We're locked in for two years giving us time to find and develop a replacement if Cowards isn't already that at guy at either RT or RG assuming we'll also need to replace Long in another year or two.

One thing I always emphasize is that the only secured contract value for the player is whatever amount is guaranteed and how quickly it's paid out.

It seems to be the case in most deals we initiate that most if not all of the guaranteed money is paid out in years one and two.  In year three we can either choose to keep the player or release/trade him and eat whatever amount of dead cap remains.

I can't help but thinking our offers to both Callahan and Amos if we make them will follow that formula as well  and if we can find a way to keep both now without hurting ourselves to badly elsewhere it makes sense to do it.

After watching a Super Bowl between two teams one of whom we beat badly and the other whom we lost to primarily by gifting them two STeams TDs we're ready to compete at that level now if we can keep our core intact.

These next two years before our cost for Trubisky triple or more has got to be where we push with most of our core intact while developing cheaper replacements for them.  IMHO hiring Nagy and trading for Mack has brought us one year closer to our goal.

5 hours ago, malagabears said:

I am hoping structure either Amos or Callahan similarly. Either could get 4 years at between 22-28M with slightly over half guaranteed. I just don't know that we can fit both in at this point without converting salary to either Long or Mack.

We need to be careful for 2020. 

Creating deals like Massie sounds good, but his cap hit is 8.3 million in 2020. You can’t do that multiple times.

Whitehair

Floyd Option

Trevathan

RRH

Jackson Extension Eligible

Cohen Extension Eligible

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

We need to be careful for 2020. 

Creating deals like Massie sounds good, but his cap hit is 8.3 million in 2020. You can’t do that multiple times.

Whitehair

Floyd Option

Trevathan

RRH

Jackson Extension Eligible

Cohen Extension Eligible

Aside from a handful of plays this year, RRH has done nothing to earn any of our contract concerns moving forward. Furthermore, Trevathan will likely be cut after next season. This year was an anomaly in terms of his health and he'll be 30 by then anyhow. Lastly guys like Cohen don't earn big contracts. I imagine his deal will be anywhere between 4 and 5M per year.

I understand your concerns regarding Whitehair, Floyd and Jackson and they are all worrisome, but the other three shouldn't worry you. Keep in mind that these teams don't stay together so it'll be on Pace to fill them with a home run draft pick as he usually does.

13 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Aside from a handful of plays this year, RRH has done nothing to earn any of our contract concerns moving forward. Furthermore, Trevathan will likely be cut after next season. This year was an anomaly in terms of his health and he'll be 30 by then anyhow. Lastly guys like Cohen don't earn big contracts. I imagine his deal will be anywhere between 4 and 5M per year.

I understand your concerns regarding Whitehair, Floyd and Jackson and they are all worrisome, but the other three shouldn't worry you. Keep in mind that these teams don't stay together so it'll be on Pace to fill them with a home run draft pick as he usually does.

RRH is a quality interior pass rusher and absolutely deserves attention if he continues to play the way he has an improves.

Cohen is a huge part of the offense and will get paid accordingly. If Jerrick McKinnon is getting 7.5/season the Bears need to be prepared for that to be the starting point.

These teams 100% stay together if the cap is managed properly and Trubisky stays cheap for 3 more years.

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

RRH is a quality interior pass rusher and absolutely deserves attention if he continues to play the way he has an improves.

Cohen is a huge part of the offense and will get paid accordingly. If Jerrick McKinnon is getting 7.5/season the Bears need to be prepared for that to be the starting point.

These teams 100% stay together if the cap is managed properly and Trubisky stays cheap for 3 more years.

I agree, RRH has been a pleasent surprise as a depth lineman. I have seen him get double teamed a couple of times which opens the gap for either Goldman or a rushing ILB or DB. At a cheap price it is well worth and he may not have even reached his ceiling yet.

1 hour ago, malagabears said:

I agree, RRH has been a pleasent surprise as a depth lineman. I have seen him get double teamed a couple of times which opens the gap for either Goldman or a rushing ILB or DB. At a cheap price it is well worth and he may not have even reached his ceiling yet.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Aside from almost ending Rodgers' year there was no point last season when I thought "wow look at Robertson Harris! He's making strides!"

You looked at McKinnon. I looked at Dion Lewis. Even if you split it and Cohen gets 6-6.3/year, that'll be like 5% of the cap. They'll fit that in.

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Aside from almost ending Rodgers' year there was no point last season when I thought "wow look at Robertson Harris! He's making strides!"

You looked at McKinnon. I looked at Dion Lewis. Even if you split it and Cohen gets 6-6.3/year, that'll be like 5% of the cap. They'll fit that in.

Dion Lewis has never been the focal point of an offense. I am pretty sure Nagy would adopt Cohen if he was not an adult already. My guess is an even larger portion of the Bears offense will run through Cohen next offseason. Even at 6.5 million that is real money that needs to be accounted for.

You did not watch RRH closely enough. He is a really good player and consistently generates pressure. He is an ascending player with incredible physical tools.

Archived