Packerraymond 2019 Mock Offseason V2

Packerraymond

With most of the coaching staff in place I'll go straight into the roster building portion of the offseason:

Not Retained:

Randall Cobb

Clay Matthews

Nick Perry (June 1)

Muhammad Wilkerson

Jake Ryan

Tramon Williams

Re-Signed:

All ERFA/RFA's

Bashaud Breeland: (3/18)

Free Agency: 

Landon Collins S NY Giants (4/46: Cap hit 8m): I usually like to only include FA's that I feel like will for sure hit the market, I'll admit I have no feel on Collins, but I get a strong feel that Earl Thomas is going to finish his career down South where it's warm and I just don't know if Gute is in on Mathieu due to size. Giants could easily tag Collins and put an end to all of this, they don't have any big FA's and they have a modest amount of cap space, but tagging Collins will take half of it, so in this scenario they pass. Collins isn't a deep cover guy, but Pettine wants a tone setter that will play up and protect the alleys. I believe only Eric Berry's contract was larger, but the safety maket went cold last year so I think 11m per would do it.

Za'Darius Smith EDGE Baltimore (3/27; Cap hit 8m):  Smith is your 270 lb EDGE that Pettine likes, We've seen that he can generate a lot of pressure inside and with his creative 3rd down packages so it frees up Gute to look into the mid-tier EDGE market instead of blowing 15+ on the Clowney, Lawrence, Ford, Ansah tier. Smith quietly had a really nice year for Baltimore and he will slot into a starters spot here with ease coming from a similar defense in Baltimore.

Brandon Copeland EDGE NYJ (2/8): An under the radar guy that had 14 QB hits and 5 sacks last year for a bad Jets team. Bounced around the league and put up some really strong numbers at the NFL veteran combine that got him back in the league. Another 260lb EDGE with really good strength numbers that should fit the bill of what Pettine wants to do outside with his EDGE players playing both run and pass.

Roy Robertson Harris DL/EDGE Chi Bears (3/18): Packers showed last year that they were willing to try and steal a player from the Bears, this year they go after someone they know they don't have the cap to retain. I've always been impressed with Robertson-Harris in the limited amount of reps he gets behind Goldman, Hicks, Floyd and now Mack. The Bears will tag him as an RFA but with their limited money and Amos & Callahan needing to be brought back, I imagine they throw the ROFR tender on RRH. The Packers swoop in and grab a guy who can be both a base EDGE and a 3rd down rusher inside.

Anthony Chickillo EDGE Pittsburgh (1/4): We get around the time of the draft and Chickillo is still a FA, another guy I think is a nice fit for Pettine on the EDGE, we give a 1 year incentive laden deal to that's easy to move away from in camp. He's better than Gilbert.

The Draft: Round 1 trade scenario: Only two QBs go before our pick and Daniel Jones & Kyler Murray are still there. Washington calls to jump Miami for Kyler Murray and give up pick 15 and their 3rd for 12 & 6th. A small premium to pay for a QB.

Round 1: Brian Burns 6'5 240 EDGE

School: Florida State

Pettine and Gute are disappointed to find two quality EDGE rushers in Polite and Burns sitting here that don't really have the size or strength to fit the ideal specs that Pettine wants in his EDGE players. Sweat doesn't have the bend to succeed long term they feel. Of the two both agree Burns has a lot of frame to get bigger, whereas Polit may be stuck at the 240 range as he's probably somewhere under 6'2. Burns has shown a variety of pass rush moves, has some bend to him and quality burst. He's Arden Key's body type without taking the year off and fluctuating heavily in weight. I think he's got more natural power than Key though, and he's shown an array of pass rush moves already at FSU. The array of vets Gute brought in in FA allows Burns to develop slowly at EDGE and spend the year getting bigger and honing his craft. The long-term starter at EDGE starting out as a situational pressure rusher in 2019.

Round 1: Andre Dillard 6'5 305 RT

School: Washington State

Dillard's footwork is damn impressive for a college player, WSU used to have a real, spread like college pass sets, but he's dropping at 45 degree angles now like an NFL tackle would last year. I think he's a plug and play guy. The Packers hang on to Bulaga for 1 more year, but if he's challenged by Dillard a move to RG is not out of the question. Dillard and Bahk are an impressive OT combo that  are here for the rest of Rodgers career.

Round 2: Chauncey Gardner-Johnson 6'0 205 S

School: Florida

The long-term partner to Collins in the back-end. The more I watch Gardner-Johnson the more I like. I think he can play deep and I think he's also effective enough in the run game to not be a liability. Strong ball skills, good route awareness, can bait QBs and his tackling was pretty solid. While everyone is on the Adderley train, I think this is the guy who would be the best fit here.

Round 3: Kaden Smith 6'5 250 TE

School: Stanford

Packers take more premium positions in the early rounds but know this is a prime TE class and they have to find some talent here too. Graham will need to be replaced in 2020. Smith is a the top TE after your round 1/2 crop of Smith/Fant/Hock IMO, he's athletic, prototype size and a good receiver. His overall route running and blocking need work but you can say that for any TE at the college level. These guys win by being big in college and have to refine the skillset in the pros. Smith gets a year as the #2 TE before taking over in 2020.

Round 3: Terry McLaurin 6'1 205 WR

School: Ohio State

Love what I've seen out of McLaurin at the Senior Bowl, challenging Deebo for me as the best WR on the field. Think he's perfect for a WC style of offense. Should test as an above average athlete at the Combine. Can win in the 3 step game off the line and has the straight line speed to be effective deep. Adds another young talent to our growing WR room.

TRADE: Packers package their 4th's for a mid 3rd. 

Round 3: Jace Sternberger 6'4 250 TE

School: Texas A&M

TE becomes the latest position the Packers double dip, LaFleur is a PA guy and move TE's that allow you to be versitile and run more 12 personnel will be valuable to him. I think Sternberger is a very similar prospect to Smith and mid 3rd is a great landing spot for him. The Packers hopefully have their 3 skills spots set-up long-term for Rodgers with 3 picks in the 3rd round.

Round 5: Nate Davis 6'3 310 OG

School: Charlotte

Davis has some raw tools as an athlete and blocker, he;s held up well at the Senior Bowl blocking much higher competition. Comes in as depth for the IOL in hopes to beat out the current group as an RG in 2020.

Round 6: Jordan Brown 6'1 199 CB

School SDSU

Brown adds depth to the CB room, there's some upside to his game as a late round pick. We have all seen that you can't have too many CBs that can get you out of a game. 

Round 7: Jalen Young 5'11 185 CB/S

School: Florida Atlantic

Another depth player for the secondary. Young had 13 INTs in college, little undersized, but has college experience and ball skills.

2019 Depth Chart:

QB: Rodgers/Kizer

RB: Jones/Williams/Bibbs

WR: Adams/Allison/MVS/EQ/McLaurin/Moore

TE: Graham/Smith/Stoneberger

OL: Bahk/Taylor/Linsley/Bulaga/Dillard/Spriggs/McCray/Davis/Patrick

DL: Clark/Daniels/Robertson-Harris/Lancaster/Adams

ILB: Martinez/Morrison/Jones/Burks

EDGE: Smith/Fackrell/Burns/Copeland/Chickillo/Gilbert

CB: King/Breeland/Alexander/Jackson/Brown

S: Collins/Gardner-Johnson/Brice/Campbell

With all the FA EDGE/DL pickups + the draft - we've certainly infused some new blood into the front seven on D.
I also like the Chauncey Gardner-Johnson add. Only saw him a couple times but definitely liked what I saw. Think he's gonna be a player which is exactly what we need back there. With his pickup - plus Collins / Breeland (FA) - if by some odd chance our CBs can stay healthy - we might have the makings a pretty dynamic unit.

So far this is the first mock draft I’ve seen that’s realistic but at the same time hits all of the needs. This would be an A++ offseason. 

One thing I’d like to know though is why you chose Morrison over Ryan? I know he tore his ACL last season but he’s a solid 2 down ILB. Morrison showed flashes about once maybe twice a game last year. Got into the backfield and made a big play sometimes but most of the time I found him to be out of position. That being said I’d love to have him on the team. But if it’s either or I’d retain Ryan.

oh and my favorite draft pick has to be Kaden Smith. That kid simply abuses players that are small then him. Love love love that pick. Solid value too.

2 hours ago, YaddaHolla said:

So far this is the first mock draft I’ve seen that’s realistic but at the same time hits all of the needs. This would be an A++ offseason. 

One thing I’d like to know though is why you chose Morrison over Ryan? I know he tore his ACL last season but he’s a solid 2 down ILB. Morrison showed flashes about once maybe twice a game last year. Got into the backfield and made a big play sometimes but most of the time I found him to be out of position. That being said I’d love to have him on the team. But if it’s either or I’d retain Ryan.

oh and my favorite draft pick has to be Kaden Smith. That kid simply abuses players that are small then him. Love love love that pick. Solid value too.

Morrison earned a ton of my respect when he was making plays all over versus Detroit when the rest of the team quit. It's a horse a piece between him and Ryan IMO, Morrison is more of a dog though.

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Morrison earned a ton of my respect when he was making plays all over versus Detroit when the rest of the team quit. It's a horse a piece between him and Ryan IMO, Morrison is more of a dog though.

This was actually my only beef with the entire thing. I think Ryan is a fair bit more talented than Morrison. Morrison just puts his head down and goes with little regard for whether or not he's going the right way. 

LOVE the Free Agency. 

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This was actually my only beef with the entire thing. I think Ryan is a fair bit more talented than Morrison. Morrison just puts his head down and goes with little regard for whether or not he's going the right way. 

LOVE the Free Agency. 

Thanks man, there's actually some underappreciated depth to the EDGE FA class. Think I'd rather take more bites from the apple than blow it all on Ford, Clark, Clowney or Lawrence.

Struggling with what to do with 12. Basically need to wait for Polite to weigh in before I decide if I actually want to keep the pick. Simmons or Gary might be the only value I could see making it to us. Burns is a frame I could see us developing though.

Very nice draft Packeraymond. I just don't know if Burns will put on the necessary weight and how it will impact his game, so I'm not sure about that pick. Dillard has shown very well at the Senior Bowl practices (Pauline really rated him) and I think where you have him is (at this time) the right spot. Oddly enough the two picks i have the most difficulty with, making selections, are the one at #12 and the second rounder - usually I'd find them easier.

I love the idea of moving around to get another mid third pick. There is a lot of value at that point in the draft. I'd probably have kept the fourths and gone for S Mike Bell (Fresno St.) in the third,  WR Penny Hart (Georgia St.), the diminutive (5'8") receiver that can also return kicks/punts,  and OG Javon Patterson with the second 4th rounder.......... but I can't fault trying for a second round three pick, either. That undersized safety, Young, is a nice roll-the-dice pick in the 7th, as well.

On 1/26/2019 at 11:36 AM, Packerraymond said:

OL: Bahk/Taylor/Linsley/Bulaga/Dillard/Spriggs/McCray/Davis/Patrick

overall, excellent work on v2
I'm just not thrilled with the OGs, even with moving Bulaga
I might have looked for an RG with one of the 3rds -  hopefully a guy who could play in 2019, instead of taking a developmental guy in the 5th. The Packers farted around at RG with Evans in 2017 and a committee of mediocrity in 2018 -  I'd think I'd like to see GB spend more resources at OG this year

Bahk, Bulaga, Dillard, Spriggs is top notch at OT.
Linsley/Patrick/McCray is fine at C

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

overall, excellent work on v2
I'm just not thrilled with the OGs, even with moving Bulaga
I might have looked for an RG with one of the 3rds -  hopefully a guy who could play in 2019, instead of taking a developmental guy in the 5th. The Packers farted around at RG with Evans in 2017 and a committee of mediocrity in 2018 -  I'd think I'd like to see GB spend more resources at OG this year

Bahk, Bulaga, Dillard, Spriggs is top notch at OT.
Linsley/Patrick/McCray is fine at C

Agree on the guard situation ... just not enough talent there to solidify the line.  Other than that, think this draft/free agency would be excellent.  Get a guard a little higher up and hope Gute does it too.  

Archived