Packerraymond 2019 Mock Offseason V2

Packerraymond

Dane Brugler's write up on Brian Burns via The Athletic

Brian Burns, Florida State (6-4, 238, 4.69)

Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (American Heritage), Junior, 4/23/1998 (age 21.02)

Strengths: Twitchy get-off and lateral movements … runs the arc with speed … natural body control to capture the corner and flatten to the quarterback … angular body type with long arms to stab or club-rip blockers … plays with bend and skillfully regains his balance mid-rush … able to change directions with little wasted movement … displays the foot agility and long strides to cover ground and play in space … uses his length to find passing lanes … blocked three kicks over his career … voted a team captain in 2018 and his FSU coaches call him a “humble hustler” who gives “consistent effort” in practice … started every game the past two seasons and played through injuries … his 24.0 career sacks ranks fifth in school history.

Weaknesses: Lanky limbed athlete and lacks ideal bulk on his frame … questionable max weight … not a power player and can be controlled on the edge (see 2018 Northern Illinois tape) … leaves his chest open and his hand/punch timing requires refinement … hands tend to wander, lacking disciplined counters … prefers to run the arc and needs to develop his inside moves … not much of a talker and is developing his leadership skills.

Summary: A two-year starter at Florida State, Burns lined up primarily with his hand on the ground at field defensive end for the Seminoles. Despite a disappointing 5-7 record in 2018, which snapped FSU’s 36-year bowl-eligible streak, he stayed motivated and set career bests in tackles, tackles for loss and sacks as a junior. Burns is a loose-jointed athlete with above-average speed off the edge, also showing the agility to drop in space or defend the run. He flashes a variety of pass-rush moves, but tends to be over-reliant on his athleticism and needs to develop his timing and setup skills. Overall, Burns needs to continue to get stronger and sharpen his tool set, but his first step explosion, athletic flexibility and baseline understanding of how to use his length/hands are a recipe for an impact NFL pass rusher, regardless of scheme.

I would be disappointed if this was the off season and draft.  Smith will probably get tagged with some type of tag and stay with the Ravens.  Collins is solid, I would like that, but cost will be higher then $8m.  The Packers need wow free agents, not mid to lower free agents.  I would rather see them get two big name FA's that can come in and make a difference from day one, then 5 lower ones.  I could live with the first 3 picks, but not a fan of other picks.  I thank you for your work, your mock is very possible, but not what I would like to see.  I want to see a splash this offseason.

Dane Brugler's write up on ZaDarius Smith, one of PRs mocked FA acquisitions

Za’Darius Smith (27), OLB/DL, Ravens – He’s one of the most versatile players on this list. Smith had a career year in 2018, finishing with 8.5 sacks and 25 QB hits. He played all over the Ravens’ defense as an outside linebacker, defensive end and interior pass rusher. Smith’s ability to beat guards one-on-one is intriguing, and he plays with tremendous effort and energy. Smith started just eight games and totaled 10 sacks in his first three NFL seasons. He’s entering free agency at a good time and could be a really nice option for a 3-4 team looking for a versatile pass rusher.

versatile, agile and hostile

On 2/19/2019 at 12:01 PM, Shanedorf said:

Dane Brugler's write up on ZaDarius Smith, one of PRs mocked FA acquisitions

Za’Darius Smith (27), OLB/DL, Ravens – He’s one of the most versatile players on this list. Smith had a career year in 2018, finishing with 8.5 sacks and 25 QB hits. He played all over the Ravens’ defense as an outside linebacker, defensive end and interior pass rusher. Smith’s ability to beat guards one-on-one is intriguing, and he plays with tremendous effort and energy. Smith started just eight games and totaled 10 sacks in his first three NFL seasons. He’s entering free agency at a good time and could be a really nice option for a 3-4 team looking for a versatile pass rusher.

versatile, agile and hostile

Guys who suddenly blossom when they're entering a FA year always worry me. A recent example was Nick Perry, who was great during his contract year, got paid big, and now looks like he's going to be cut. Would Smith be a similar story? It would be very expensive to find out.

10 minutes ago, ricky said:

Guys who suddenly blossom when they're entering a FA year always worry me. A recent example was Nick Perry, who was great during his contract year, got paid big, and now looks like he's going to be cut. Would Smith be a similar story? It would be very expensive to find out.

^ This is a lazy-*** opinion. I'm certain you can do better. There are about 450 players that enter FA every year and they are not all Nick Perry
Had you invested even the tiniest amount of effort to inform yourself, here's what you could have learned:

1) Z. Smith has only missed 6 games in 4 seasons
2) He was buried on the depth chart by an outstanding player ( T. Suggs)  in front of him in BAL
3) His play time on ST's went down while his play time on defense shot up by nearly 50% in 2018. That accounts for the uptick in performance/results
4) His own team would love to have him back, but are concerned about his burgeoning value on the open market.

All of that info is readily available 24/7 to anybody and everybody with an internet connection; how cool is that ? 

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

^ This is a lazy-*** opinion. I'm certain you can do better. There are about 450 players that enter FA every year and they are not all Nick Perry
Had you invested even the tiniest amount of effort to inform yourself, here's what you could have learned:

Rather than "calling out" members, how about informing them?  You're better than that.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Rather than "calling out" members, how about informing them?  You're better than that.

Sure seems like that's what he did.  Called him to attention and schooled him.  

Did I miss something?

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

1) I'm definitely not better than that
2) I didn't attack the poster, I commented on the low quality post .... which is consistent with the rules of this forum
3) I did inform him - in great detail from several reputable sources which I linked below :

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitZa00.htm

https://overthecap.com/player/zadarius-smith/3970/

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/BAL

You nave no #2 or really even an established #3 receier so welcome to 7-9 season again. Jones as an ILB with little other help is a disaster. OL not improved. WR not improved. TE likely not imrproved or improved much. Edge could be a big improvement but TBD. Drafting 2 CB's again is just plain dumb. 

Archived