Thoughts on Jake Elliot?

TheRealMcCoy

Our punting situation appears to be in great hands with Cameron Johnston who broke a bunch of Eagles punting records if I’m not mistaken and was top 4 in both average and net punt yardage.

We’ll have to see if he can have a repeat, but so far so good.

On the other hand we have Jake Elliot who finished 17th in FG% and 22nd in XP% during the regular season as a rookie and 21st in FG% and 19th in XP%.

He’s made some kicks when they counted and that 61 yarder against the Giants as a rookie helped catapult our season which resulted in our first Super Bowl win.

But, his overall kicking stats are pretty meh. Funnily enough he struggled with shorter kicks as a rookie, but longer kicks this year.

Doesn’t need to be replaced yet, because he has been fairly clutch. But, I definitely would like to bring in some competition. Could just be some UDFA.

His stats are skewed IMO  with the amount of times Pederson goes for it on 4th down and or he attempts 50+ yarders. He only attempted 31FG making 26. 3 of those misses from 50+?

Normal teams/Kickers have more attempts because  they are conservative. No balls.

Now with that said his knack for shanking extra points and or FG inside 40 is a bit concerning but I don't think there are many upgrades out there over him given his age. He has a minimum of two more years to get on my badside because  without him not only do we not Win the SB, we dont sniff it.

Long leash!

9 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

His stats are skewed IMO  with the amount of times Pederson goes for it on 4th down and or he attempts 50+ yarders. He only attempted 31FG making 26. 3 of those misses from 50+?

I don't know what you are talking about. They really aren't skewed.

He didn't attempt a bunch more 50 yarders than the rest of the league.

There were 18 kickers who attempted as many 50+ yarders as Elliot (5 attempts) or more.

Out of those 18 kickers that attempted 5 or more.... only 1 had a worse FG% from 50+ than Elliott. There was 2 other kickers who tied him for 2nd to last honors.

Now, like I said he was good on 50+ yarders last year and bad on shorter field goal last year, but it was the opposite this year.

He has a leash, but I don't think it should be a very long one. He needs to be more consistent.

After seeing some of the kicking woes around the league, I'm in no rush to move on. He's been overall pretty average, but has delivered in big moments. He certainly doesn't have the job locked down in the same way Cox, Lane or Wentz do at their position, but since you have to be pretty proactive to replace a kicker (since you're not carrying more than 1), I don't see him losing the job any time soon. Sure we'll bring in "competition" at camp, as even the Ravens probably do, but whoever we'd bring in would need a truly special camp to usurp Elliott.

3 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

Doesnt jake have the highest success rate from 40 to 50 in nfl history right now?

Keep him.

Sounds like a dumb ESPN stat even if it’s true. He’s only been kicking 2 seasons.

Cody Parkey’s rookie year had a better FG% and XP% than either of Jake Elliott’s first two seasons.

Nobody is saying we need to get rid of him yet, but he needs to be more consistent.

Elliot had the same exact attempts, and made FG as his Rookie season. Only difference was more 7 XP made and he won the SB.

Can he be better, sure but in no way is "competition" going to put him or his status on this team in jeopardy. Nor do I believe  it will "push" him to be better. Think that's already instilled in him.

Didn't he attempt 2 60+ yd FG this season? Curious?

5 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Elliot had the same exact attempts, and made FG as his Rookie season. Only difference was more 7 XP made and he won the SB.

Can he be better, sure but in no way is "competition" going to put him or his status on this team in jeopardy. Nor do I believe  it will "push" him to be better. Think that's already instilled in him.

Didn't he attempt 2 60+ yd FG this season? Curious?

Why? So you don't think we should be bringing in competition for our average starters?

22 minutes ago, ianlewis16 said:

Why? So you don't think we should be bringing in competition for our average starters?

He's not average, he's above average just not Elite!

Name anyone we could  be bring in realistically, to take his job? 

5 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

He's not average, he's above average just not Elite!

Name anyone we could  be bring in realistically, to take his job? 

Competition doesn't mean take his job. And so you've thoroughly evaluated every single kicker coming out of college this year and decided that none of them are worthy of taking Jake's job? Do you even remember how we stumbled into him in the first place?

Archived