Senior Bowl Players That Would Make Sense For Us

Just Want A Title

After all of the analysis regarding the Senior Bowl I think there are quite few players that could help the Lions:

WR--Andy Isabella, Penny Hart Deebo Samuels, Terry McLurin

OG--Dalton Risner, Chris Lidstrom, Oli Udoh

DL--Montez Sweat (he might be worth it at #8), Charles Omenihu, Khalen Saunders

DB--Nasir Adderly

This is just off the top of my head to hopefully start a thread to fill the time between now and the combine.  Thoughts?

I've been keeping up on articles and podcasts related to the Senior Bowl but I didn't get to see practices or the game. From what I've heard: Isabella and Samuels are likely going to be a bit rich in terms of draft capital for us. It sounds like both guys are shooting up draft boards and will wind up in rounds 2-3. Risner is likely a round 1 guy. Sweat rubbed people the wrong way in interviews despite having a monster week. Adderly is like 180 lbs... which does give me some pause on him.

Out of anybody - Sweat does seem like a guy who could wind up being the pick at 8.

I think that's the best thing the sb had to offer was ol imo

Receivers deebo looked electric..might get drafted to high for me tho

I wanted to stock up on them little fast guys in the later rds... Greg drotch diontae Johnson and someone else I'm missing... spend 5th 6th rdps that way a lot of nice receivers late imo

We drafted Kenny Golladay Round 3.  Considering how badly we missed Golden Tate after he was traded, I wouldn't have a problem with taking a slot WR in Round 3.  If we took a WR in Round 2 they would have to be able to work in the slot and on the outside.  I think Andy Isabella could be an awesome slot WR.  He is is quick and has really good speed.   

17 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

We drafted Kenny Golladay Round 3.  Considering how badly we missed Golden Tate after he was traded, I wouldn't have a problem with taking a slot WR in Round 3.  If we took a WR in Round 2 they would have to be able to work in the slot and on the outside.  I think Andy Isabella could be an awesome slot WR.  He is is quick and has really good speed.   

I think that we took Golladay there because there were a few teams sniffing around him and he would likely have been gone by the time we got down to the Lions 4th round pick. Golladay was definitely a surprise pick there for everyone that didn't work in a front office. If the summary of Bevell's offense holds up (run heavy, utilizes TE>WR3, down field passing game) then we likely are going to be taking a TE in rounds 2-3 over a slot guy.

I think both Samuel and Isabella will work out and be nice players in the league - I just don't think we'll invest that kind of draft capital into either of them (assuming that we stay put).

The wild card is the rumours they may move Jones. 

If they get the right compensation he could be moved and they draft a WR as a cheaper option.

I think the brain trust will be looking to bolster both lines, TE and CB.

They also need to replace Blount but maybe they give Zenner a chance.

5 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

The wild card is the rumours they may move Jones. 

If they get the right compensation he could be moved and they draft a WR as a cheaper option.

I think the brain trust will be looking to bolster both lines, TE and CB.

They also need to replace Blount but maybe they give Zenner a chance.

It seems very unlikely that they'll trade Marvin Jones, but I also have zero doubt that Bob Quinn would be willing to trade him if he was given a great offer before the draft and free agency. I just doubt teams would make an offer before seeing if they could draft a WR instead. 

I could see corner being a big target for them. They played 3 corners more often than they played 3 safeties in the back half of the season even though the safeties were healthier than the corners. Slay is obviously the top corner. It would make sense to add a top-level slot corner like Bryce Callahan. Then they can explore cutting/trading Nevin Lawson. They probably won't want to rely on Michael Ford being a starter on the boundary, but he did show some promise in the second half of the season. They could have him sit and learn another year behind Lawson or a different veteran corner that they get in free agency (someone like Kareem Jackson, perhaps). I would love it if they drafted a corner, but that doesn't seem too likely to me just based on how Bob Quinn has approached building the roster. They tried to force Tabor into the lineup early on. That didn't work and essentially wasted a 2nd round pick. They let Agnew take his time and that has seemingly worked out better (at least he provides something on special teams). If they can keep grabbing guys as UDFAs that put up elite testing numbers like Michael Ford then they can probably get away with not investing too much at corner until it's time to replace Slay.

My gut says they trade down and take TJ Hockenson. I also think they will try to sign a starting level tight end as well draft another one on day 3.

I think Zenner has earned the chance to be Kerryon's backup, but my guess is that they'll sign someone to compete with him. Runningbacks are cheap so it wouldn't cost much to get a decent power/goaline back to come in and compete for a backup spot. I do think they're going to target a running back in round 3 or 4. Theo Riddick is slowing down just a little and his contract is up after this year. This draft has plenty of guys who are well suited to replace him, especially if they get to learn behind him for a year. Josh Jacobs, Rodney Anderson, Bryce Love, Darrell Henderson, James Williams, and Darwin Thompson are all guys who have shown great receiving ability or show the kind of skills that would be well used in the passing game. 

5 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I had heard (I think Stick to Football podcast) something about 180-185. Maybe just a slight frame?

They probably just got the number wrong. He's got a pretty solid build considering he converted from corner and also considering he's coming from a smaller program. 

4 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

@IDOG_det not that he was a Senior Bowl guy but what are your thoughts on Texas Tech/Last Chance U's Dakota Allen as a potential fit with the Lions? He seems projected to go somewhere between rounds 2-4.

I haven't seen much of him honestly. Te'von Coney is a good fit if they look to add a LB in the 2nd. I like Sione Takitaki if they look to add a LB in the 4th/5th range. 

6 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

They probably just got the number wrong. He's got a pretty solid build considering he converted from corner and also considering he's coming from a smaller program. 

Weird - everything I'm seeing is around 6'0 200 lbs. You might be right or maybe I misheard them talking about another guy.

16 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

It seems very unlikely that they'll trade Marvin Jones, but I also have zero doubt that Bob Quinn would be willing to trade him if he was given a great offer before the draft and free agency. I just doubt teams would make an offer before seeing if they could draft a WR instead. 

I could see corner being a big target for them. They played 3 corners more often than they played 3 safeties in the back half of the season even though the safeties were healthier than the corners. Slay is obviously the top corner. It would make sense to add a top-level slot corner like Bryce Callahan. Then they can explore cutting/trading Nevin Lawson. They probably won't want to rely on Michael Ford being a starter on the boundary, but he did show some promise in the second half of the season. They could have him sit and learn another year behind Lawson or a different veteran corner that they get in free agency (someone like Kareem Jackson, perhaps). I would love it if they drafted a corner, but that doesn't seem too likely to me just based on how Bob Quinn has approached building the roster. They tried to force Tabor into the lineup early on. That didn't work and essentially wasted a 2nd round pick. They let Agnew take his time and that has seemingly worked out better (at least he provides something on special teams). If they can keep grabbing guys as UDFAs that put up elite testing numbers like Michael Ford then they can probably get away with not investing too much at corner until it's time to replace Slay.

My gut says they trade down and take TJ Hockenson. I also think they will try to sign a starting level tight end as well draft another one on day 3.

I think Zenner has earned the chance to be Kerryon's backup, but my guess is that they'll sign someone to compete with him. Runningbacks are cheap so it wouldn't cost much to get a decent power/goaline back to come in and compete for a backup spot. I do think they're going to target a running back in round 3 or 4. Theo Riddick is slowing down just a little and his contract is up after this year. This draft has plenty of guys who are well suited to replace him, especially if they get to learn behind him for a year. Josh Jacobs, Rodney Anderson, Bryce Love, Darrell Henderson, James Williams, and Darwin Thompson are all guys who have shown great receiving ability or show the kind of skills that would be well used in the passing game. 

Pretty much spot on.

Riddick is another guy that wouldn’t surprise me if he’s moved. A tad slower, cheaper options available.

I also think Zenner earned a shot. I hope he can make the most of any opportunities before him. 

Your trade down scenario is something I could see happening. Barring that, if he drops,I could see a trade back up as well.

My frustration is time! Whichever player they take in the first I want to be an immediate impact player. Besides being a believer in controlling both lines I think time is the second reason I hope they draft A DE or OT in round one. There will be players at both positions that instantly improve the team.

I also think I’m a bit jaded. I didn’t want Pettigrew and he became what I thought he would be, a serviceable TE. Not his fault where he was drafted. I still don’t know what to think of Ebron except in my world TE’s taken in the first better be complete. They let him  go, so after drafting two first round TE’s I don’t want to see a third unless the guys an immediate impact starter. 

Jaded. That’s me! 

I would like to see them trade for Gerald McCoy, improve the secondary in free agency, take an edge rusher in the first then any combination, WR, RB, TE, OG, CB, S based on player rankings for the pick.

This could be a really busy offseason for the Lions. They have some cap space. They have some possible player moves to open more cap space. They have some picks. 

On a side note.................did you catch that interview where Suh had nothing but nice things to say about Detroit? I almost fell off my chair. Foreshadowing perhaps?

Archived