Senior Bowl Players That Would Make Sense For Us

Just Want A Title

13 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Pretty much spot on.

Riddick is another guy that wouldn’t surprise me if he’s moved. A tad slower, cheaper options available.

I also think Zenner earned a shot. I hope he can make the most of any opportunities before him. 

Your trade down scenario is something I could see happening. Barring that, if he drops,I could see a trade back up as well.

My frustration is time! Whichever player they take in the first I want to be an immediate impact player. Besides being a believer in controlling both lines I think time is the second reason I hope they draft A DE or OT in round one. There will be players at both positions that instantly improve the team.

I also think I’m a bit jaded. I didn’t want Pettigrew and he became what I thought he would be, a serviceable TE. Not his fault where he was drafted. I still don’t know what to think of Ebron except in my world TE’s taken in the first better be complete. They let him  go, so after drafting two first round TE’s I don’t want to see a third unless the guys an immediate impact starter. 

Jaded. That’s me! 

I would like to see them trade for Gerald McCoy, improve the secondary in free agency, take an edge rusher in the first then any combination, WR, RB, TE, OG, CB, S based on player rankings for the pick.

This could be a really busy offseason for the Lions. They have some cap space. They have some possible player moves to open more cap space. They have some picks. 

On a side note.................did you catch that interview where Suh had nothing but nice things to say about Detroit? I almost fell off my chair. Foreshadowing perhaps?

Riddick: I personally would prefer to keep one of our more reliable options on the roster although I get why it might make sense to trade him.

TE: Agreed on the instant impact player. Unfortunately that is a rarity for the position, so we're likely better off picking a guy at another position of need *cough* D-Line *cough*. I hated the Ebron pick at 10 and wasn't thrilled with the Pettigrew pick but didn't hate it at the time either.

McCoy: He seems in line to be a cap casualty. Not sure whether I would want to trade for him with his salary. Wouldn't complain about bringing him in FA

Suh: Wasn't he badmouthing the organization (not the city) last year? Maybe you're right and maybe he's looking to come back where he's been most successful.

53 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Pretty much spot on.

Riddick is another guy that wouldn’t surprise me if he’s moved. A tad slower, cheaper options available.

I also think Zenner earned a shot. I hope he can make the most of any opportunities before him. 

Your trade down scenario is something I could see happening. Barring that, if he drops,I could see a trade back up as well.

My frustration is time! Whichever player they take in the first I want to be an immediate impact player. Besides being a believer in controlling both lines I think time is the second reason I hope they draft A DE or OT in round one. There will be players at both positions that instantly improve the team.

I also think I’m a bit jaded. I didn’t want Pettigrew and he became what I thought he would be, a serviceable TE. Not his fault where he was drafted. I still don’t know what to think of Ebron except in my world TE’s taken in the first better be complete. They let him  go, so after drafting two first round TE’s I don’t want to see a third unless the guys an immediate impact starter. 

Jaded. That’s me! 

I would like to see them trade for Gerald McCoy, improve the secondary in free agency, take an edge rusher in the first then any combination, WR, RB, TE, OG, CB, S based on player rankings for the pick.

This could be a really busy offseason for the Lions. They have some cap space. They have some possible player moves to open more cap space. They have some picks. 

On a side note.................did you catch that interview where Suh had nothing but nice things to say about Detroit? I almost fell off my chair. Foreshadowing perhaps?

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if they moved on from Riddick. His contract is easy to get out of and RB's are largely replaceable (outside of the elite few). My guess is that they wouldn't move on from him until after the draft and maybe not even until training camp. He's good enough that they should be able to get a conditional 2020 pick out of him if a training camp injury makes a team desperate for a RB. 

So far Bob Quinn has been pretty aggressive with his first round picks as far as using them to fill immediate needs. Last year they went into the draft with Joe Dahl/Kenny Wiggins projected as a starting guard and took Ragnow, in 2017 they went into the draft with Paul Worrilow projected as a starting LB and took Jarrad Davis, and in 2016 they went into the draft with Cornelius Lucas/Michael Ola/Corey Robinson projected as a starting tackle and took Taylor Decker. My guess is that he'll go into the draft with a depth player in the starting lineup somewhere and draft someone to fill that hole. TE, OL, DE, LB, and maybe CB are the positions that really have holes or could have holes in the starting lineup. They need at least two more tight ends for Bevell's offense and that's after they re-sign Levine Toilolo and/or Luke Willson. It's going to be hard to find two starting tight ends in free agency, which is why I think they go after a TE early. OL could be a big need, especially if TJ Lang retires. If Lang retires and they can't replace him in free agency, I would expect a 1st or 2nd round pick spent on the OL. LT, LG, and RT are good. Glasgow is about as about as average as it gets and I would like to see him be replaced, but they probably wouldn't use a 1st round pick to replace a returning starter. OL might be a day 2 target for them so they can have the rookie develop behind Glasglow/Lang/Wagner before eventually taking over for one of those spots (Tyrell Crosby could take over another spot in 2020 as well). DE will certainly be a big need. Even if they re-sign Romeo Okwara they'll need to add an impact player at this spot. The free agent class is strong for edge rushers and they have the kind of cap space to throw a big contract at one of them. If they can sign one of the top DE's (Trey Flowers is the perfect fit) then I wouldn't expect them to add another one in the draft. If they miss out on the top DE's then that position becomes a big priority and would require a 1st or 2nd round pick be spent on it. WLB will be a need, but Christian Jones wasn't terrible there. I think they'll either trade for one or spend like a 4th round pick here to compete for the spot. Just like with center, I doubt they use a 1st round pick to replace a starter. Now if they cut Jones to save money... then this becomes a pressing need. CB will be a need, especially if they move on from Nevin Lawson. Slay will occupy one spot, Jamal Agnew and Mike Ford are good developmental depth pieces. I could them going after some experienced players in free agency rather than spending a high pick on another corner. Corners take time to develop and I hope Bob Quinn learned about improperly forcing guys into the lineup from the Teez Tabor pick. I can't see them going early at any other position. QB, RB, WR, DT, and S all have starters solidly entrenched in their spots. They only need depth at those spots.

I would assume most Lions fans will experience some heavy cognitive dissonance if they draft TJ Hockenson in the 1st round. Hockenson is going to do very well at the combine, he outproduced Noah Fant this year at Iowa (and Fant is a likely 1st rounder as well), and his blocking ability is pretty much off the charts for a TE. He's a guy that should be able to make an immediate impact because he's pretty much as "can't miss" as a TE prospect gets, and that should excite fans, but I would guess most fans would disapprove once they remember their feelings towards the Ebron and Pettigrew picks. 

I didn't see the Suh interview but I read a few quotes from it. I was ceratinly surprised by some of what he said. I doubt he comes back to Detroit though. Unless he wants to rotate with Da'shawn Hand on a contract far below his market value (and that doesn't really sound like "Suh" kind of thing to do).

I do not Believe the lions will spend a first round on a TE...I do see what you are getting at by how BoB has signed Vets then to just send them off after they lose there starting gig from a draft pick or uses them for either injury back ups or trade ect..I Do Believe they have to address the TE position in either the 2 or 3rd round. Yes the class runs deeper with DL and DE and all around Defense But I'll Trust in BoB Q to either sign Flowers like you said and that would bounce the DE and DL guys off my list for the 4-5th rounds...I think there will be talent to pick up at WR in FA and OL...In the end seeing Ebron ball out this year pissed me off and showed it wasn't the player but the coaches that didn't utilize the players skill set tape doesn't lie. I was mad at the fact the lions couldn't bring Suh back but after reading that Florida has no tax on the contract he signed I can kinda see why but at the same time his sister was all over the internet saying suh and there family hate Detroit and blah blah blah So yes his story is a half *** one.

1 hour ago, IDOG_det said:

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if they moved on from Riddick. His contract is easy to get out of and RB's are largely replaceable (outside of the elite few). My guess is that they wouldn't move on from him until after the draft and maybe not even until training camp. He's good enough that they should be able to get a conditional 2020 pick out of him if a training camp injury makes a team desperate for a RB. 

So far Bob Quinn has been pretty aggressive with his first round picks as far as using them to fill immediate needs. Last year they went into the draft with Joe Dahl/Kenny Wiggins projected as a starting guard and took Ragnow, in 2017 they went into the draft with Paul Worrilow projected as a starting LB and took Jarrad Davis, and in 2016 they went into the draft with Cornelius Lucas/Michael Ola/Corey Robinson projected as a starting tackle and took Taylor Decker. My guess is that he'll go into the draft with a depth player in the starting lineup somewhere and draft someone to fill that hole. TE, OL, DE, LB, and maybe CB are the positions that really have holes or could have holes in the starting lineup. They need at least two more tight ends for Bevell's offense and that's after they re-sign Levine Toilolo and/or Luke Willson. It's going to be hard to find two starting tight ends in free agency, which is why I think they go after a TE early. OL could be a big need, especially if TJ Lang retires. If Lang retires and they can't replace him in free agency, I would expect a 1st or 2nd round pick spent on the OL. LT, LG, and RT are good. Glasgow is about as about as average as it gets and I would like to see him be replaced, but they probably wouldn't use a 1st round pick to replace a returning starter. OL might be a day 2 target for them so they can have the rookie develop behind Glasglow/Lang/Wagner before eventually taking over for one of those spots (Tyrell Crosby could take over another spot in 2020 as well). DE will certainly be a big need. Even if they re-sign Romeo Okwara they'll need to add an impact player at this spot. The free agent class is strong for edge rushers and they have the kind of cap space to throw a big contract at one of them. If they can sign one of the top DE's (Trey Flowers is the perfect fit) then I wouldn't expect them to add another one in the draft. If they miss out on the top DE's then that position becomes a big priority and would require a 1st or 2nd round pick be spent on it. WLB will be a need, but Christian Jones wasn't terrible there. I think they'll either trade for one or spend like a 4th round pick here to compete for the spot. Just like with center, I doubt they use a 1st round pick to replace a starter. Now if they cut Jones to save money... then this becomes a pressing need. CB will be a need, especially if they move on from Nevin Lawson. Slay will occupy one spot, Jamal Agnew and Mike Ford are good developmental depth pieces. I could them going after some experienced players in free agency rather than spending a high pick on another corner. Corners take time to develop and I hope Bob Quinn learned about improperly forcing guys into the lineup from the Teez Tabor pick. I can't see them going early at any other position. QB, RB, WR, DT, and S all have starters solidly entrenched in their spots. They only need depth at those spots.

I would assume most Lions fans will experience some heavy cognitive dissonance if they draft TJ Hockenson in the 1st round. Hockenson is going to do very well at the combine, he outproduced Noah Fant this year at Iowa (and Fant is a likely 1st rounder as well), and his blocking ability is pretty much off the charts for a TE. He's a guy that should be able to make an immediate impact because he's pretty much as "can't miss" as a TE prospect gets, and that should excite fans, but I would guess most fans would disapprove once they remember their feelings towards the Ebron and Pettigrew picks. 

I didn't see the Suh interview but I read a few quotes from it. I was ceratinly surprised by some of what he said. I doubt he comes back to Detroit though. Unless he wants to rotate with Da'shawn Hand on a contract far below his market value (and that doesn't really sound like "Suh" kind of thing to do).

That looks like a pretty realistic roadmap..

Depending on who's there I hope they just selected a really good player vs trade down(unless it's like with Miami). I dont' wanna move down a bunch just cause Lions have guys "rated" the same around 8.

We're right in that sweet spot to where just someone "should"/"could" fall right into our laps. Everyone will welcome a lot of these names.

OLB Josh Allen, LB Devin White, CB Greedy Williams, OT Johnah Williams, DE/OLB Clelin Ferrell, DT Christian Wilkins, DT Dexter Lawrence, DT Ed Oliver.

These are basically the players in my head that I'm juggling between. I'll be really happy with one of the eight and in a above mentioned trade down scenario I'd need like 3 or 4 of these guys still available while not moving down far(like I mentioned maybe Miami.).

Devin White to me is really good. I liked him most the season except vs Alabama. I've seen him compaired to Jonathan Vilma from the Jets and it's an ok comparison to me. Lions could really use a LB'er like him and move Davis over or out as a back up. 

I also agree that TE/OLBorDE/ and OL will be targeted throughout the draft, I really just refuse to believe that a TE is worth a top 10 selection in this draft, or most any for that matter. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have never seen nor heard Suh badmouth Detroit or the Lions. He made a comment last season that Goff is the best QB he's ever played with... but I didn't take that as a swipe against the Lions as much as him talking up his current QB. I'd love to have him back in Detroit, but I just don't see it happening. 

As for senior bowl players, the Lions have drafted a number of players from these bowls during the reigns of both Quinn and Mayhew. It wouldn't shock me. 

Archived