Redskins believe Alex Smith will be out all of 2019

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, Forge said:

May be better to just eat that in the single year, though that's a crazy cap hit for a season, than to  papercut yourself to death in 4 seasons.

thanks for the illumination and that's a wicked turn of events in Wash. for both parties

14 hours ago, Malik said:

That's a career. I have no idea why everyone is so sympathetic towards him

This made me chuckle considering his leg snapped like a twig in the most horrendous way possible while he writhed in agony for several minutes on national TV, that’s what did it for me. Now he’s looking at potentially the end of his career depending how this plays out.

I could care less about the money he’s made or how he hasn’t lived up to expectations. He seems like a pretty decent guy, I don’t know why you wouldn’t be sympathetic towards him. How does the money he’s made play into that?

15 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I doubt we trade Dalton. We value him quite a bit, and he's been playing really well the older he gets. It would take quite the package for us to consider a move like that. Something crazy like a 2nd rounder in 2019, and possibly a potential 1st next year. It wouldn't be worth it for Washington. 

That QB swapping scenario though does have some potential. Dalton was MVP caliber under Jay Gruden in 2015, and Zac Taylor has coached Tannehill both at Texas A&M and Miami. If Taylor wants his own QB prospect to mold next season, or this season, Tannehill could act as the bridge between the two. But I doubt our front office goes for that though. 

Is Gruden fighting for his job? Is he that desperate? Maybe part of the reason Taylor took the job was because he really likes Dalton - who knows?

Perhaps Kyler Murray at 11, OL and LB in round 2, and pick up a premium pick next year?

Gruden and potentially Bruce Allen are fighting for their job.  

Alex Smith currently takes up 13% of the cap.  Colt McCoy is another 2%.  Lets say Bridgewater gets $8 million.  Now, 19% of your salary cap is taken up by three QBs, one of whom is not going to play.  Factor in that the Redskins likely carry someone else, and that's 1/5 of your salary cap spent on QBs, and lets face it, none of them are going to be Tom Brady.  

Given that last year's 15th overall pick made $2.15 million, the Redskins are going to be forced to draft a QB and start them almost immediately without a complete team around them.  Its going to be a dumpster fire.  

Any smart front office- which we don't have- would realize the impossible situation carrying Alex Smith over the next three years at a 13% salary cap hit, and tank this year and take the 27% hit at one time.  But we don't have a smart owner or front office, because we made this dumb deal and contract signing in the first place. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Such a brutal injury for Washington because of the guaranteed money involved. Obviously, his salary is fully guaranteed for 2019, but his salary is also guaranteed in 2020 for injury. If this truly is career ending, I'm not even sure that Washington can get away from him in 2020

They have two options- take the poison pill of 27% salary cap space hit this year and that's the end of it, or kick the can down the road and take 13% hit over the next three years.  They have a $12 million injury insurance clause, but given ambiguities surrounding those, it could be a credit for future years after the Alex Smith contract is done.  

7 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

They have two options- take the poison pill of 27% salary cap space hit this year and that's the end of it, or kick the can down the road and take 13% hit over the next three years.  They have a $12 million injury insurance clause, but given ambiguities surrounding those, it could be a credit for future years after the Alex Smith contract is done.  

Thanks. 

I completely forgot about the insurance. 

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Any smart front office- which we don't have- would realize the impossible situation carrying Alex Smith over the next three years at a 13% salary cap hit, and tank this year and take the 27% hit at one time. 

How likely do you think it is that heads roll if they go into the season with no QB and finish 3-13 or thereabouts? Does the GM have the leeway to make that decision or are they going to be hamstrung into spending less on the QB spot this year, having some sort of talent there, and pushing for 8-8 or so to extend their ability to stay on another year or two?

5 hours ago, pwny said:

How likely do you think it is that heads roll if they go into the season with no QB and finish 3-13 or thereabouts? Does the GM have the leeway to make that decision or are they going to be hamstrung into spending less on the QB spot this year, having some sort of talent there, and pushing for 8-8 or so to extend their ability to stay on another year or two?

Bruce Allen is the one calling shots, and he just survived his third power struggle.  It seems that Snyder is dead set on retaining Allen to try to get his new stadium at the site of RFK in Washington DC, and apparently believes Allen's political connections is the only way to make it happen.  He's been teflon so far, there is no reason to believe he won't continue to be such.  However, it would be a bit hypocritical to fire Jay Gruden if they don't get him a QB after retaining him because he didn't finish the year with a QB, but remember we're talking about the Redskins here.  Common sense goes out the door. 

On 1/28/2019 at 8:13 AM, SmittyBacall said:

I doubt we trade Dalton. We value him quite a bit, and he's been playing really well the older he gets. It would take quite the package for us to consider a move like that. Something crazy like a 2nd rounder in 2019, and possibly a potential 1st next year. It wouldn't be worth it for Washington. 

That QB swapping scenario though does have some potential. Dalton was MVP caliber under Jay Gruden in 2015, and Zac Taylor has coached Tannehill both at Texas A&M and Miami. If Taylor wants his own QB prospect to mold next season, or this season, Tannehill could act as the bridge between the two. But I doubt our front office goes for that though. 

Is Gruden fighting for his job? Is he that desperate? Maybe part of the reason Taylor took the job was because he really likes Dalton - who knows?

Perhaps Kyler Murray at 11, OL and LB in round 2, and pick up a premium pick next year?

On 1/28/2019 at 8:13 AM, SmittyBacall said:

Dalton to Washington

Tannehill to Cincinnati 

Ken Zampese, Dalton's former QB coach, interviewing for QB coach position in Washington. Perhaps something to keep an eye on.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/1/29/18201820/redskins-coaching-rumors-ken-zampese-interviewed-for-qb-coach-kevin-oconnell-being-promoted

11 hours ago, Dome said:

This made me chuckle considering his leg snapped like a twig in the most horrendous way possible while he writhed in agony for several minutes on national TV, that’s what did it for me. Now he’s looking at potentially the end of his career depending how this plays out.

I could care less about the money he’s made or how he hasn’t lived up to expectations. He seems like a pretty decent guy, I don’t know why you wouldn’t be sympathetic towards him. How does the money he’s made play into that?

Because he was never worth all the chances he got. Like someone else mentioned earlier, if he wasn't one of the 1st overall pick QBs that was paid mightily before they created a rookie cap he would'nt have had a chance to be what he became. He stole money from the 49ers for years, he should've been cut before he got his 2nd contract. He was never that good.  I feel sympathy for his injury but he's been well paid and he'll survive. 

On another note, I don't think the Skins should try and draft a 1st round QB this year. Gruden will most likely be fired and the next guy might not like the QB they picked before he was hired. I say the Skins should draft a D-lineman or O-lineman and gear up for next year.

19 hours ago, Dome said:

He was handsomely rewarded for mediocre pay for well over a decade while being given plenty of time and opportunity to be better. Football players get urged. I'm happy it wasn't lifethreatening for him but it's a known occupational hazard and he'll be able to live a regular life afterwards without having to worry about medical debt. There are plenty of nice guys who played in the NFL that weren't given 1/1000000 the opportunity and time he was given for anywhere near the amount of money. He's not sympathetic at all.

3 minutes ago, Malik said:

He was handsomely rewarded for mediocre pay for well over a decade while being given plenty of time and opportunity to be better. Football players get urged. I'm happy it wasn't lifethreatening for him but it's a known occupational hazard and he'll be able to live a regular life afterwards without having to worry about medical debt. There are plenty of nice guys who played in the NFL that weren't given 1/1000000 the opportunity and time he was given for anywhere near the amount of money. He's not sympathetic at all.

That’s just mean 

On 1/27/2019 at 11:47 PM, UtahUtesFan said:

Case Keenum, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Ryan Tannehill, Dwayne Haskins, Nick Foles, Jacoby Brissett,Teddy Bridgewater are the QB's at stake here I imagine. Most of them except Haskins and Foles are stopgaps. 

And the Goat Blake Bortles. 

Archived