Mock offseason and draft

bucsfan333

Mkay. Right now, we're looking at ~$12M in cap space. We've gotta fix that. And it won't be difficult.

Cuts

WR DeSean Jackson - savings $10M

DE Vinny Curry - savings $8M

DE William Gholston-  savings $3.75M

P Bryan Anger - $3M in savings

OL Evan Smith - $2M in savings

DT Mitch Unrein - injury settlement for $1.5M ($1.25M in savings)

That puts us at ~$40M

Trades

New England sends their lowest third round comp pick (from Malcolm Butler) for TE Cameron Brate. Gronk's body is about done, whether he officially retires not. Brady needs needs more reliable weapons. It all makes sense. This frees up $7M in cap space for us.

Oakland sends a third and sixth (Chicago's) for DT Gerald McCoy and a fifth. This frees up $13M in cap space. Chucky gets a big piece for the middle of their defense that they desperately need. This kinda mirrors the JPP trade we made last year.

That puts us at ~$60M in cap space.

Signings

WR Adam Humphries - 3 years $25M ($12M guaranteed)

-He should be priority number one. He's the most reliable player to wear pewter and red over the last couple years. His rapport with Jameis is a must have for this offense.

OT Donovan Smith - franchise tag (~$15.25M)

-Licht doesn't wanna give up on him yet. He gets one final year to work with a new oline coach and prove that he deserves an extension.

DB Tyrann Mathieu - 2 years $19M ($9M guaranteed)

-We can't assume Evans is gonna come back from a bit of a sophomore slump and Whitehead is gonna become more consistent in year two. Mathieu starts day one and slides to the slot for more three safety looks. He let's us stay aggressive on defense with his ability to cover and blitz.

CB Bradley Roby - 3 years $24M ($10M guaranteed)

-We need another veteran starter at CB. Roby is average with flashes of great play. He comes from a formerly elite secondary and fits our new aggressive man defense very well.

LB Kevin Minter - 1 year $2M ($500k guaranteed)

-He's basically already here and has experience in Bowles’ aggressive defense. Kwon outpriced himself. He won't get the $12M he reportedly wants but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets close to $10M. He's already lifting and I'm sure he'll look great in all the physicals he's gonna take. Dude's an animal.

QB Brandon Weeden - 1 year $2M ($500k guaranteed)

-Arians isn't gonna keep Fitz. He doesn't want anything to do with the QB mess from last year. Weeden is a 35 year old veteran who nobody will mistake as the starter. And that's the kind of guy Arians wants.

That leaves us at ~$15M in cap space. We'll have plenty left to sign draft picks and we'll have plenty of options to clear space again next year for Jameis’ potential $30M contract.

The draft

1.1 Arizona Cardinals - Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama

1.2 San Francisco 49ers - Joey Bosa, EDGE, tOSU

1.3 trade (someone) - Dwayne Haskins, QB, tOSU

1.4 Oakland Raiders - Josh Allen, EDGE, Kentucky

1.5 Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Ed Oliver, DL, Houston

-Licht has never shied away from potential and Oliver is oozing with it. He's gonna put on a clinic at the combine. We'll probably get some offers to move back but we stay put this time and take a guy who might have the highest upside of anyone in the draft.

2.7 Chris Lindstrom, G, Boston College

-One of the first things Arians said when he came in was the line needs improvement. Lindstrom is a plug and play guy right away. We've had major holes at guard the last few years and we finally fix it.

3.2 Myles Gaskin, RB, Washington

-He's a bit small but he's too good for that to matter. We're not gonna be an aggressive offense running the ball 30 times every week. And Gaskin can hold up touching the ball 15 times every game. His vision is exceptional, his balance is among the best and his footwork is too. He'd have the best hands (by far) of any RB on the team from the get go.

3.6 D'Andre Walker, LB/EDGE, Georgia

-We need depth at LB and EDGE. Wherever Walker settles in, he'll be great depth and a potential starter next year. He's got loads of athleticism and he's an effective blitzer. He's a bit undersized at 6’2” but he could fill the Daryl Washington role with ease. He might even take the other starting ILB spot next to Lavonte.

3.39 Austin Bryant, EDGE, Clemson

-The fourth guy on their national championship defensive line. A lot of people think he only put up decent numbers because he cleaned up the work the other three did. Either way, he'll be a good one to throw in the mix. If we're gonna be aggressive, we'll need a stable of guys to rotate.

4.5 Trey Pipkins, OT, Sioux Falls

-Another small school prospect for Licht. Pipkins really showed up at the Senior Bowl. He'll need some work but he could be a starter in 2020. Maybe even at LT of D Smith sucks again. He's probably nothing more than a practice squad hopeful at this point. But he could continue to prove folks wrong and make the final 53.

6.6 Sean Buntin, CB, Central Michigan

-He's tall and lanky but needs to bulk up. He's got decent ball skills with nine INTs in three years. He'll hope to be a special teamer with the potential to play outside someday. He's nothing more than a practice squad hopeful at this point.

6.24 Johnnie Dixon, WR, tOSU

-He's got good speed and the ability to take the top off the defense. He didn't have much production at tOSU (67 career receptions) but he caught a ton of TD passes (16). He'll be another guy who hopes to make the team as a gunner while he tries to develop into a more well rounded WR. He's nothing more than a practice squad hopeful at this point.

There will be a ton of other minor signings/cuts but it'll all be the bottom 15 or so guys on the roster making league minimum. I don't wanna try to sort through all that.

Not familar with Gaskin or Walker. I do like idea of drafting a versatile backer though. Think I’d draft a T over RB. Can push Dotson in camp and or take Don Smith position the next year. Other than that i like all the moves. Wonder how good Roby is playing these days. 

1 minute ago, indifference said:

Not familar with Gaskin or Walker. I do like idea of drafting a versatile backer though. Think I’d draft a T over RB. Can push Dotson in camp and or take Don Smith position the next year. Other than that i like all the moves. Wonder how good Roby is playing these days. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/11/10/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-myles-gaskin/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/20/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-dandre-walker/

Pipkins has a funny name 😂 but he's got a lot of potential. And I think he's got a legit chance to reach it. Much moreso than Cappa. I think having one of the better line coaches in the NFL only makes it that much more likely.

PFF gave Roby an average grade. Which is a huge upgrade over what we've seen over the last decade. If nothing else, we can survive with him for one year before we look to upgrade again next year. He's only 26.

Archived