Las Vegas Stadium News

NickButera

7 hours ago, OG_C2X said:

I tried to do the economics behind this model. I can't get a place where NFL Owners would advocate for this. Just too much money to be lost playing with no fans.

In all likelihoood it will not be up to them. And if short term profit is their primary motivator, probably a good thing it isn't.

Fingers crossed for reduced capacity at least.

9 hours ago, OG_C2X said:

I tried to do the economics behind this model. I can't get a place where NFL Owners would advocate for this. Just too much money to be lost playing with no fans.

Behind closed doors is still a better financial option than not playing at all.

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Behind closed doors is still a better financial option than not playing at all.

This is not accurate. Due to the fact that contracts can be deferred if the season doesn't happen. If the season happens they can't defer contracts. 

4 hours ago, StocktonSav said:

In all likelihoood it will not be up to them. And if short term profit is their primary motivator, probably a good thing it isn't.

Fingers crossed for reduced capacity at least.

I don't believe that to be true. Combined the 32 owners have a lot of money and power. I think if they want to play with a full stadium they will get what they want. 

Playing with fans in the stadium at the beginning of the year is a pipe dream at this time. A lot can change from now till September but hard to see that changing. Maybe its not full of fans but maybe a certain amount of fans per row and you skip every other row to give distance. 

20 hours ago, OG_C2X said:

This is not accurate. Due to the fact that contracts can be deferred if the season doesn't happen. If the season happens they can't defer contracts. 

Of course it’s accurate. Only a small percentage of the revenue NFL teams make comes from gameday income.

If teams have to play in front of empty stadiums they’ll still make a ton of money from TV (which accounts for over half the revenue alone), advertising, merchandise, and plenty of other revenue streams which don’t involve fans being in the stadiums.

NFL teams would lose more money by playing no games for a year without having to pay their players, than playing behind closed doors and still having to pay their players.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

Of course it’s accurate. Only a small percentage of the revenue NFL teams make comes from gameday income.

If teams have to play in front of empty stadiums they’ll still make a ton of money from TV (which accounts for over half the revenue alone), advertising, merchandise, and plenty of other revenue streams which don’t involve fans being in the stadiums.

NFL teams would lose more money by playing no games for a year without having to pay their players, than playing behind closed doors and still having to pay their players.

I don't have the numbers... And it sounds like you know what you're talking about but the loss of income from tickets, merchandise bought at games, concessions, parking, etc seems rather significant.  

I think its possible that the league may find a way to allow for much smaller crowds to attend games in the 10 to 15,000 persons range. Obviously tailgating will be out and people will be allowed in through an orderly method. Concessions will be brought to fans instead of lines and alcohol will probably not be allowed just to ensure order. It's still 4 months till the season starts and a lot can happen.

13 hours ago, Totty said:

I don't have the numbers... And it sounds like you know what you're talking about but the loss of income from tickets, merchandise bought at games, concessions, parking, etc seems rather significant.  

Significant, yes. Undeniably so.

But nowhere near as significant as losing a whole season's worth of TV income, even if it means you can avoid paying your players' contracts for a year.

3 hours ago, billking said:

I think its possible that the league may find a way to allow for much smaller crowds to attend games in the 10 to 15,000 persons range. Obviously tailgating will be out and people will be allowed in through an orderly method. Concessions will be brought to fans instead of lines and alcohol will probably not be allowed just to ensure order. It's still 4 months till the season starts and a lot can happen.

This is a possible solution that could work. It would require owners to sit down and figure out at what occupancy can make the league work for 2020. 

I can tell you now. With absolute certainty. Playing games with no one in the stands is not even an option they are considering right now. There is not an economic model, that doesn't see a federal bailout, that works playing the games with no fans.

All teams are different but the packers (since all their financials are public record) made, after all expenses and taxes, 48Million dollars in 2016 after it's all said and done. They had ticket sales of 71Million. If they dont have the ticket sales the packers will have lost 23 million dollars, now that isn't exact because game day expenses (labor, concessions, apparel inventory) would drop. But even accounting for a 20% drop in expenses the team still loses millions of dollars without ticket sales. 

Edited by OG_C2X
  • Like 1