Bears re-sign RT Bobby Massie to 4-year deal

TheKillerNacho

Massie was very good last year.

In the free agent OT market, which looks like a barren waste land, Massie probably would have been the 2nd ranked OT free agent behind Trent Brown.

My guess is he would had a robust market and the Bears, with no real resources, did not want to get into the situation where they have to draft someone in the 3rd and start them or sign a scrap heap free agent to start.

12 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I don't think it will look like an overpay after free agency.

Juwan James, Daryl Williams and Donvon Smith could all get big contracts on the open market from OL needy teams like the Bills and Vikings.

I forgot Donovan Smith he would be ahead of Massie as well.

I think you may be right that the OT market could get crazy because of a ton of league wide need.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I forgot Donovan Smith he would be ahead of Massie as well.

I think you may be right that the OT market could get crazy because of a ton of league wide need.

I see like 3 TB games this year...give me Massie over Smith everytime.

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It really isn't though.  Teams backload contracts because they know the salary cap is going up.  Year 1 cap hit will always be lower than the last year of the contract.  So you're taking the average annual value.  It's constantly adjusting.  In a few years, the AAV of a RT will probably push Massie closer to the 8-12 range than the top 5 he currently is.  But for right now, his AAV is top 5.

all contracts are backloaded (or can be)

@WindyCity did the best possible comparison for pay against his peers: relative to salary cap.

Your method of comparing gross values is flawed.

Normalizing Data > Not Normalizing Data

13 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I wanted to see where Bobbie Massie actually ranked in terms of money compared to RT. People jumped out and said he was the 5th highest paid OT, which on face value is true, but the truth is that is a poor measure of where he actually ranks. Many of the free agent deals behind him were signed years ago when the cap was much smaller and they represented a larger percentage of the teams cap space. 

Based on % of the teams cap space  when signed, Bobbie Massie is closer to the 12th highest paid RT in the league.

For example Morgan Moses makes less than Bobbie Massie, but when he signed his deal he was making a larger percentage of the cap.

Chris Hubbard 4.1% [7.3 yearly average/177.2 cap]
Jared Veldheer 5.2% [7/133]
Morgan Moses 4.6% [7.7/167]
Mitchell Schwartz 4.2% [6.6/155.2]
Ryan Schradear 4% [6.3/155.2]

2016 Bobbie Massie 3.8% [6/155.2]
2018 Bobbie Massie 4.1% [8/191]

Massie, inflation adjusted, got a slight raise [.3%] over his previous deal in terms of the cap space he will use up.

This is just me being being picky at this point, but you're basing this on the highest end of the expected salary cap. If reports are correct the expected cap to be anywhere from 187-191. 

Using a mid range average of 189 would be a better starting point imo. At which, Massie's expected salary % would be 4.2%. 

Massie was slightly over paid but nothing dramatical based on his production vs other top RT's. If anything, he was paid about the price he has worth. It's funny to me how most fans look at their OL and only think the worst of them without looking at other teams in the same perspective.

In the last 2 years Massie has a total of 1,983 regular season snaps, 8 total penalties, only 3 ffalse starts, only 2 holding penalties and has allowed just 6 sacks.

Here is how he stacks up against other top right tackles who have around the same amount of accrued years.

Player How Acquired Yr Acc Per/Yr Snaps Pen False Start Holding Sacks Allowed
Bobby Massie 4/112 6 8+ 1983 8 3 2 6
Chris Hubbard UDFA 5 7.3 1872 4 2 2 12.5
La'el Collins UDFA 4 7.7 2144 12 4 7 10
Lane Johnson 1/4 6 11.3 1926 14 8 5 7.5
Mitchell Schwartz 2/37 7 6.6 2078 8 3 4 5
Morgan Moses 3/66 5 8 1927 19 10 7 6
Ricky Wagner 5/168 6 9.5 1776 7 0 4 11.5
Rob Havenstein 2/57 4 8.1 2072 7 2 2 7

This should put some things into perspective. 

These are the averages for all players listed above and how Massie stacks up.

Average per/Yr = 8.4 | Massie = 8.0+
Average Snaps = 1,971 | Massie = 1983
Average Total Penalties = 10 | Massie = 8
Average False Starts = 4 | Massie = 3
Average Holding penalties = 4 | Massie = 2
Average Sacks allowed = 8.5 | Massie = 6

21 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Really thought Massie was the one they'd let go and try to replace in the draft in order to re-sign Amos or Callahan. 

They had under 14 million dollars in effective cap space before this signing,

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Looks like they'll definitely be cutting some players. 

Kyle Long - 2.5 million in savings (unlikely)
Trevathan - 5 million in savings (possible)
Sims - 5.5 million in savings (likely)
Acho - 1.8 million in savings (likely)

McManis - 1.5 million in savings

Cutting their two most-likely cut candidates basically pays for Massie, which is surprising to me since I definitely saw them letting Massie go in order to re-sign Amos or Callahan. 

They would have let Massie go, but OTs are impossible to find this year as everyone needs one.  He is nothing special, but things can get much worse without him. 

No chance Trevathan gets cut this year.  He is playing too well and a team leader.   Sims and Acho are 99.999999% cut.  

Long may stay this season, but it will be his last likely.  I wanted to get rid of him years ago, but it isn't up to me.  I can never predict what they will do with Long.  They are sentimental about him for some reason.  I can tell you he won't play 16 games.  Trade him to Packers. 

McManis won't be cut either. 

Amos and Callahan may both be gone as cap casualties.  Callahan can make plays, but tends to get hurt.   He is slight.  Amos doesn't hurt you, but is just a guy really.  He looks better because of people around him. 

22 hours ago, WindyCity said:

In the free agent OT market, which looks like a barren waste land

What FA OT class are you looking at? 

Between JuWuan James, Trent Brown, Cam Fleming, George Fant, Donovan Smith, Daryl Williams, LaAdrian Waddle, Jared Veldheer, and Roger Saffold this class if far from barren. Not to mention it's a particularly good year for tackle prospects via the draft. 

14 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

What FA OT class are you looking at? 

Between JuWuan James, Trent Brown, Cam Fleming, George Fant, Donovan Smith, Daryl Williams, LaAdrian Waddle, Jared Veldheer, and Roger Saffold this class if far from barren. Not to mention it's a particularly good year for tackle prospects via the draft. 

Saffold is an OG

Juwan James is not good and constantly unjured

Cam Fleming is a part time starter

Daryl Williams missed the season with a knee injury

LaAdrian Waddle is a backup

Jared Veldheer is 32 and not very good.

That is not a good list at all.

Trent Brown and Donovan Smith are legit options.

Archived