Bears re-sign RT Bobby Massie to 4-year deal

TheKillerNacho

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Saffold is an OG

He has played and can play right tackle. Has the length and athleticism to do so.

LaAdrian Waddle is a backup

Fair. 

Juwan James is not good and constantly unjured

Disagree. He's been solid when healthy and has only missed 9 games in the last 2 seasons. 27 years young. He's going to get paid. 

Cam Fleming is a part time starter

Which won't necessarily hinder his future success. Underused free agents get signed and find success every offseason. Rex Burkhead had less than 80 carries in 3 years as a Bengal and he's been great for NE.

Daryl Williams missed the season with a knee injury

Who broke out in 2017 before hurting his knee, and is still only 26. Will likely sign a one-year prove it deal. Low risk, big reward.

You also neglected George Fant, and Jake Fisher - who I forgot to mention earlier - as decent young options as well. Not to mention what's looking to be a very solid tackle class. Point being, I wouldn't call this offseason barren of RT talent. I also wouldn't say it's overflowing, either. But I think there's some decent options out there beyond Donovon Smith and Trent Brown.

For a good olinemen imo anything under 10 per year is pretty decent. 

If you have to pay 50 million across 5 players to give your QB decent protection, do it. 

I'd rather have 5 solid-good players than be locked into a couple of all pros and some average to below average players. 

The browns currently have a good line at great pricing, lg 8-9mil, c 5mil, rg 12.5, rt 7ish, and our lt TBD/a rookie contract. 

On 1/28/2019 at 8:52 AM, TankWilliams said:

I think cutting Kyle Long is more likely than cutting Trevathan, and restructuring Long's contract is the most likely scenario to deal with his cap.    Sims and Acho are as good as gone. 

Callahan was PFF's 9th best corner. Someone will easily offer him 8+ million a year. Maybe more than that. I'd certainly hope the Raiders offer at least 8 for him. It's worth throwing money at young CB's considering how hard the position is to play. 

It's very hard to keep a top defense together. It happened with Denver and it's happened with Seattle. Hell Jacksonville may be next.

4 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

For a good olinemen imo anything under 10 per year is pretty decent. 

If you have to pay 50 million across 5 players to give your QB decent protection, do it. 

I'd rather have 5 solid-good players than be locked into a couple of all pros and some average to below average players. 

The browns currently have a good line at great pricing, lg 8-9mil, c 5mil, rg 12.5, rt 7ish, and our lt TBD/a rookie contract. 

Yeah.  It sucks if you do have to spend that much...but good OLine play is exceptionally valuable in today's NFL.  You really don't want to venture out into the wasteland of inadequate protection.  The whole OLine situation is just so dire around the league, and RTs especially are becoming more and more important with the guys they tend to line up against now.  If you've got a guy...keep 'em, as long as you can afford to.

Ideally, you want to be the Patriots, constantly cycling guys through and always seeming to having it work out.  Getting value out of cheaper contracts, younger players, etc.  Replacing guys as they get prohibitively expensive.  But it's hard to be the Patriots, and their OLine voodoo doesn't seem achievable for the rest of the league.  You don't want to have a liability with your OLine, especially when it comes to the bookends that whole the whole thing together.

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Callahan was PFF's 9th best corner. Someone will easily offer him 8+ million a year. Maybe more than that. I'd certainly hope the Raiders offer at least 8 for him. It's worth throwing money at young CB's considering how hard the position is to play. 

It's very hard to keep a top defense together. It happened with Denver and it's happened with Seattle. Hell Jacksonville may be next.

Yeah.  The window for competing on an "elite defense" seems to be really short.  It's just extremely hard to sustain.

Jacksonville have the problem even worse, since a big chunk of their elite defense was older and big ticket FA signings in the first place.  Can probably keep most of it together for this year...but the year after that with Jalen Ramsey, Yan Ngakoue and Myles Jack all due massive raises...it's going to get ugly.  Gonna be substantially rebuilding that unit.  Makes it all the more frustrating they pissed away 2019 on Bortles without anything resembling a Plan B at QB.

Dang you bears i was hoping the Falcons would look into him.  Im still hoping we keep and eye on Roger Saffold, Trent Brown, Darryl Williams, or  maybe Spain or bring levitre back for a year or so if he can stay healthy.  Not sue what to think about Juwan James i haven't kept up with him but if he is quality as well throw him on the list too.  The Falcons need 2 to 3 new starting quality lineman.  1 good one form FA and 1 early round guy from the draft at minimum.

20 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  It sucks if you do have to spend that much...but good OLine play is exceptionally valuable in today's NFL.  You really don't want to venture out into the wasteland of inadequate protection.  The whole OLine situation is just so dire around the league, and RTs especially are becoming more and more important with the guys they tend to line up against now.  If you've got a guy...keep 'em, as long as you can afford to.

It takes 1 crap player that can truly ruin a game. Aaron Donald had a field day against the cheifs cam erving, to the tune of two sacks and shifting mahomes off his spot. The browns always had it with oneil cousins, who made every damn pass play look like a screen play. We had joe Thomas, alex mack, Schwartz, but an average oline.

20 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Ideally, you want to be the Patriots, constantly cycling guys through and always seeming to having it work out.  Getting value out of cheaper contracts, younger players, etc.  Replacing guys as they get prohibitively expensive.  But it's hard to be the Patriots, and their OLine voodoo doesn't seem achievable for the rest of the league.  You don't want to have a liability with your OLine, especially when it comes to the bookends that whole the whole thing together.

How much do the Pat's have invested in their oline, I cant imagine it is less than 30-40 million? 

I know the eagles are around the 50 million mark. 

28 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

It takes 1 crap player that can truly ruin a game. Aaron Donald had a field day against the cheifs cam erving, to the tune of two sacks and shifting mahomes off his spot. The browns always had it with oneil cousins, who made every damn pass play look like a screen play. We had joe Thomas, alex mack, Schwartz, but an average oline.

How much do the Pat's have invested in their oline, I cant imagine it is less than 30-40 million? 

I know the eagles are around the 50 million mark. 

I think you'd be surprised.  By a quick tabulation, i think it's more like ~$15M in terms of cap hit on their starting OLine this year.  Maybe a few million more on backups, and maybe a bit more if you include a high pick like Wynn who missed the whole year.  Some years it's definitely been more substantial, and will be in the coming years too...But in any case, that Scarnecchia witchcraft isn't really a reasonable expectation for most NFL teams.  For everyone else out in the real world, having a good offensive line tends to be very expensive.

I thought they'd be in trouble with Solder leaving as a big ticket FA.  But once again, underestimated the Pats ability to just assemble a really good OLine out of thin air.  It's just an anomaly out there.  For everyone else, you get good OLinemen who work well as a group...you keep them.

On 1/28/2019 at 2:56 PM, TankWilliams said:

I heard Amos and the Bears both want a deal but are VERY far apart on the number, and that he's using his high PFF rating from 2017 to justify it.  I have a feeling he's going to test the market.  Still hope we can tie up Callahan somehow.

Would be great for you guys to bring both back. I don't think you guys missed much in term of production when Callahan went don't with an injury and McManis could ease losing Callahan.

Amos, in other hand, could be trickier to replace. Maybe Bush?

But I understand signing up Massie 1st.....since you guys don't have a 1st or 2nd rounds picks RT would be harder to find a starter (most will be gone by the start of the 3rd).

You guys could already have the replacements for Callahan and Amos in the roster, but could find a guy in the 3rd if necessary.

Could see both Callahan and Amos following Fangio and Donatell  to the Denver Bears....sorry, Denver Broncos.

1 hour ago, BowserBroncos said:

Would be great for you guys to bring both back. I don't think you guys missed much in term of production when Callahan went don't with an injury and McManis could ease losing Callahan.

Amos, in other hand, could be trickier to replace. Maybe Bush?

But I understand signing up Massie 1st.....since you guys don't have a 1st or 2nd rounds picks RT would be harder to find a starter (most will be gone by the start of the 3rd).

You guys could already have the replacements for Callahan and Amos in the roster, but could find a guy in the 3rd if necessary.

Could see both Callahan and Amos following Fangio and Donatell  to the Denver Bears....sorry, Denver Broncos.

I think this was 100% their thinking.

Quality OLmen are harder to find and there are just not enough of them for 32 teams to field good lines. The Bears have had much easier time with DBs. As you said McManis and Bush played well in the absence of Callahan and Jackson this season.

Pace has also had an easier time with the DB position

Amos-5th

Jackson-4th

-Bush-4th

Callahan-UDFA

Tolliver-UDFA

Leblanc, who was very good for the Eagles the Bears plucked out of Patriots camp his rookie year.

Archived