Should we let Dee Ford walk?

MVPatrickMahomes15

He just had a career year and still finished with just 13 sacks which doesn't seem wildly impressive to me. And before this contract year explosion, In the first four years of his career, he had just 17 sacks total, good for an average of just 4.25 sacks a year.

Maybe it's hard for me to forgive him for the offsides call that cost us the Championship or hard to erase some of his other lowlights out of my head (running AWAY from the running back on that one play), but it just feels too risky to me to either franchise tag Dee Ford or sign him longterm for anything remotely resembling elite pass rusher money. To me he seems like a bonehead who went try hard mode in his contract year and still finished with just okay to good production.

What do you guys think?

Pretty much agree. It's not surprising guys try harder when they want more money. I'd rather trade him now and get value for him when it's going to be the highest. There's alot of good edge rushers coming into the NFL soon. I'd rather have one of them.

Then again, will Steve Spag. schemes allow Ford to play at a high level? And most important, only the Chiefs know Ford's health status. Is this an issue to be dealt with now?

4 hours ago, samsel23 said:

I would tag him if we aren’t planning on doing much in FA.  Definitely don’t want to sign him to a long term deal though.

This. But with the change in defensive scheme it would depend entirely on how Spags would use him.

I figure we can let him walk and get a 3rd round comp pick or we can tag and trade worst case. Ideally he'll fit into our new system and do

I’ll just point out, if it weren’t for his contract being guaranteed, there’s a decent chance he wouldn’t have been on the roster this year.

Don’t get me wrong, he had a fantastic year but he hasn’t proven any type of consistency.  Always scary paying a guy that racked up stats on a below average D,  even if the front 4 was dominant at times.

I’d be more willing to sign him long term if he wasn’t a one trick pony.  He doesn’t offer much aside from a pass rush though and I’m not sure that ever changes.

No. I'm not sure I want to give him a long term deal yet, but we have to imagine that we'll be losing Houston in the near future. That makes keeping him more important for the pass rush, and more feasible financially than it might seem right away.

If Kpass and Speaks had shown much of anything yet, then maybe, but that hasn't happened. I'd at least like to franchise Ford until we see if we have any competent edge rushers behind him on the roster.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned his injury history.

He's inconsistent.

We tag him, draft his replacement, and somebody else overpays him next off-season.

But I think this situation also depends on the front office view of Houston and his future.

On 1/29/2019 at 6:52 AM, Bullyball said:

I would consider tagging and trading Dee Ford; Pass rushers are valuable and teams would be interested. We keep cap space flexibility for extensions/free agents and gain draft capital to help rebuild our defense. 

tag, trade for a 2nd round pick.

Sign S Earl

Would be a good start to rebuilding the D.

Archived