How do you define “long term” starter at QB?

CP3MVP

When you look at the draft every year with the exception of last season analysts fans and pundits will say, “if you’re lucky there is usually only one long term starter at QB in each draft”. My question is what is “long term”  in you’re eyes? 3 years? 5 years? A decade?

For example Winston and Mariota were drafted in 2015 and will be the starting QBs on the Bucs and Titans this season. That would make it 5 seasons. Ryan Tannehil has been the Dolphins QB 7 years now with a chance to make it 8. People say Blake will be out of Jacksonville but if that’s true he would’ve been their QB for 5 years. Joe Flacco is done in Baltimore but he was the starting QB for a Decade. 

If you sign a second contract with your team, that’s usually the indicator.  I’d say Tannehill fits the bill of a long term starter since he played for them for 7 seasons and signed an extension, although he’s obviously one of the lower end long term starters and he completely missed one of those seasons.  So he’d probably be the bare minimum

i know Bortles signed an extension and made an AFC Championship Game, but I don’t consider him a real long term starter since he got benched before his extension even started

I think that long term would imply a contract beyond their rookie deal. So, if you draft someone in the first, you pick up their 5th year option and then sign him to an extension. Or, in the case with Dak Prescott, you draft him mid round, get your 3-4 years out of him, and then sign him. That first 3-4 year performance is basically a dress rehearsal to see whether or not you're getting commitment.

On 1/29/2019 at 11:38 AM, CP3MVP said:

How many guys start ten years though 

Interestingly enough 10 year starters are; Brady, Ben, Rivers, Flacco, Brees, Eli, Rodgers, Ryan, Stafford.

I think I would put the cutoff at 8 years. Newton and Dalton are going into their 9th years as starting QBs. I would consider them long term starters.

I would think if they make it to the second contract, that would be a long term starter. That would be 5-6 years. What complicates it is that some guys make it that far even though they maybe shouldn't. A lot of so-so QBs make it that far because the team is afraid to pull the trigger and move on, and I'm not sure they fit the kind of player pundits are attempting to describe. I don't think they mean Tannehill, Bortles, Dalton, etc., when they talk about a long term guy in the draft. But they do kind of fit the description nonetheless. That's kind of the difference between a long term starter and a franchise QB, I guess. A franchise guy would be that 10 year starter.

Archived