2019 Trade talk.

jleisher

This should be interesting and fun.  Name a player or players that you would like to see the Packers trade for and what you think would be good market value.  Try to be as realistic as possible, no Tom Brady's for the Packers #151 pick in 2019. 

Here's mine.  With the Jags being in the hole for cap space in 2019.  I would offer pick #114 in the 4th round and a future pick in 2020 for Calais Campbell DE.  It would free up $14.5m for the Jags and give the Pack another rusher.  

What's yours?

None I want to trade for because I value draft capital. but.......................

Clinton-Dix for a 4th was great. The Redskins got to see first hand how average he is as a football player. He leaves via free agency and they won't score better than a 5th round pick for him next off season. 

Currently? Nick Perry for any pick and same for DeShone Kizer. I think we roll with Boyle next year. 

Not a player, but I was wondering what people would think about trading #12 overall pick to the Raiders for #24 and #27 overall? I highly doubt the Raiders would do it (they need more depth), but draft pick value wise it'd basically be like what we did last year with the Saints and Seahawks.

As for actual player, it's hard for me, as I'm wanting guys that teams probably wouldn't be willing to trade. Like CB Patrick Peterson or RB David Johnson in this scheme with a very good QB. One guy I remember being surprised I wanted in the draft so much was OL Jack Conklin, who played OT in college, but I saw him as a young OG Steven Hutchinson, Titans drafted him very high in the 1st round and put him at RT, in a system that I believe had double TEs on most plays and with a blocking OT outside of him, he played like one of the best RTs in the NFL. Conklin had injuries which led him to only playing 9 games this last season (under LaFleur), but I'd probably be willing to trade a good price for him to put him at OG and have him as a back-up RT. Though factor in coming off injury, and only 1 cheap year left on his rookie contract, maybe not a 1st round pick, but still he could be a good OL pick-up.

So might a receving RB like a Chris Thompson (Redskins) or Jalen Richard (Raiders).... maybe less likely to get, but RB Kenyan Drake could probably be a star in this season. PS: I'm not trying to replace Aaron Jones, he's just gotten banged up at times, and I think the Packers need another one of him, maybe with more power and this system is helped if the RB has receiving ability. 

12 hours ago, Beast said:

Not a player, but I was wondering what people would think about trading #12 overall pick to the Raiders for #24 and #27 overall? I highly doubt the Raiders would do it (they need more depth), but draft pick value wise it'd basically be like what we did last year with the Saints and Seahawks.

I'm all for this...but it depends on how the draft unfolds.  If the board is destroyed, I think that #24 pick will be a good pick.

However, I don't do that if Bosa/Allen/Ferrell/Polite/Q. Williams/ C Wilkens is there.  I think those are some difference makers.  At #24, I'd be looking at J. Ferguson or maybe even B. Burns.

Having three firsts would be good for this team.  But not at the expense of missing out on a difference maker.  Oliver/Simmons are two others that I'm kind of borderline on at #12.....

13 hours ago, Beast said:

As for actual player, it's hard for me, as I'm wanting guys that teams probably wouldn't be willing to trade. Like CB Patrick Peterson or RB David Johnson in this scheme with a very good QB. One guy I remember being surprised I wanted in the draft so much was OL Jack Conklin, who played OT in college, but I saw him as a young OG Steven Hutchinson, Titans drafted him very high in the 1st round and put him at RT, in a system that I believe had double TEs on most plays and with a blocking OT outside of him, he played like one of the best RTs in the NFL. Conklin had injuries which led him to only playing 9 games this last season (under LaFleur), but I'd probably be willing to trade a good price for him to put him at OG and have him as a back-up RT. Though factor in coming off injury, and only 1 cheap year left on his rookie contract, maybe not a 1st round pick, but still he could be a good OL pick-up.

So might a receving RB like a Chris Thompson (Redskins) or Jalen Richard (Raiders).... maybe less likely to get, but RB Kenyan Drake could probably be a star in this season. PS: I'm not trying to replace Aaron Jones, he's just gotten banged up at times, and I think the Packers need another one of him, maybe with more power and this system is helped if the RB has receiving ability. 

It depends on GB's scout's opinion on players, but my initial vibe would be against dropping that far. It isn't uncommon for there to be drafts with 20 real first round talents (and only 5-15 blue chippers). At 12, baring injury, we should get a quality guy. Typically around pick 20-30 you start running into guys with flaws (small schools, character, not quite hitting athletic thresholds, motor questions, etc). The difference between prospect quality between pick 12 and 20 is often pretty big. The difference between quality of prospect from 20 to 45 can often be in the eye of the beholder.

Using 2018 as an exercise; lets look at last year's draft for example, pick 20-32

1 20 Detroit Lions Frank Ragnow  C Arkansas SEC  
  1 21 Cincinnati Bengals Billy Price  C Ohio State Big Ten from Buffalo [R1 - 11]
  1 22 Tennessee Titans Rashaan Evans  LB Alabama SEC from Kansas City via Buffalo andBaltimore [R1 - 12]
  1 23 New England Patriots Isaiah Wynn  OT Georgia SEC from LA Rams [R1 - 13]
  1 24 Carolina Panthers D. J. Moore  WR Maryland Big Ten  
  1 25 Baltimore Ravens Hayden Hurst  TE South Carolina SEC from Tennessee [R1 - 14]
  1 26 Atlanta Falcons Calvin Ridley  WR Alabama SEC  
  1 27 Seattle Seahawks Rashaad Penny  RB San Diego State MW from New Orleans via Green Bay [R1 - 15]
  1 28 Pittsburgh Steelers Terrell Edmunds  S Virginia Tech ACC  
  1 29 Jacksonville Jaguars Taven Bryan  DT Florida SEC  
  1 30 Minnesota Vikings Mike Hughes  CB UCF The American  
  1 31 New England Patriots Sony Michel  RB Georgia SEC  
  1 32 Baltimore Ravens Lamar Jackson  QB Louisville ACC from Philadelphia [R1 - 16]
2016 Heisman Trophy winner

Really only Calvin Ridley was a first round lock. Some of these guys (Hughes, Penny) I saw mocked to us with our second round pick at 45. Guys like Christian Kirk, D Guice, and Josh Jackson were consistently projected to go in the 18-32 range and we passed on them in the second (or took in Jackson's case).

One thing I don’t want us to do is trade up in the 1st. Unless it’s post-Rodgers and we need a QB, there is almost no player in any year that’s worth trading up for versus what it would cost. Whenever it’s brought up, I feel like it’s just someone trying to overthink it. We have the potential to get two very good players in the first round this year. 

18 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I'd really only trade for role players.  Guards, depth corners/receivers, etc.  I don't think the value's there for these major trades unless it's a player for player type thing.  

Any one player your thinking about?

Not sure if the Packers have ever traded up in the 1st on draft day
They traded Hasselbeck and moved up prior to the draft, they also traded up into the 1st to snag Matthews
But I can't remember GB ever trading up within the 1st round for the reasons you noted

Jordy Nelson pick was a trade back, Jaire Alexander and Kevin King were trades back too

8 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Not sure if the Packers have ever traded up in the 1st on draft day
They traded Hasselbeck and moved up prior to the draft, they also traded up into the 1st to snag Matthews
But I can't remember GB ever trading up within the 1st round for the reasons you noted

Jordy Nelson pick was a trade back, Jaire Alexander and Kevin King were trades back too

How is Jaire not a trade-up?  The Packers traded pick #27 plus another pick to move up to #18.

Not all trades, but here's a list of 2018 offseason moves by the Ram-a-Lama ding dongs    (.Animal House reference)

• Feb. 23: Agree to Marcus Peters trade
  • March 2: Trade Robert Quinn to Dolphins
  • March 6: Place franchise tag on Lamarcus Joyner
  • March 7: Trade Alec Ogletree to Giants
  • March 8: Agree to Aqib Talib trade
  • March 8: Sign Sam Shields to one-year deal
  • March 13: Sign Nickell Robey-Coleman to three-year, $15.75M extension
  • March 16: Sign John Sullivan to two-year, $10.75M extension
  • March 26: Sign Ndamukong Suh to one-year, $14M deal
  • April 3: Acquire Brandin Cooks from Patriots
  • July 17: Sign Brandin Cooks to five-year, $81M extension
  • July 25: Sign Todd Gurley to four-year, $60M extension