Worst commentators in NFL history?

y*so*blu

On 1/29/2019 at 6:58 AM, PapaShogun said:

Seems like a lot of young viewers now would have hated Pat Summerall. That's a shame. He was as dry as it gets, but I liked him. I'm definitely in the minority, but I like more reserved commentary a lot of the time. You watch a lot of old games, announcers did get excited, but now some guys overdo it a tad.

Yeah but joe buck isnt what id call reserved. And summerall was paired with Madden, a perfect pairing since Madden could fill a room with his voice and personality.

Aikman on the other hand....you dont want him to do all the talking lol.

I think a Romo - Buck pairing would be great. Romo could be super enthusiastic, predict playcalls. Buck could be a steady, bland presence next to him.

On 1/29/2019 at 7:59 AM, Pugger said:

I did too.  Are we showing our age...?

Summer all was always my favorite play by guy on CBS and Fox.  He paired with Madden beautifully.

My least favorite color guy was Dennis Miller on MNF after Frank left.  Al is one of the premier play by play guys and should have been left on MNF.  Seriously tho, how did ESPN screw up letting Tirico go.  Hes sooo good on pbp and he understands how to drive.  Now hes Al's heir apparent and SNF wont miss a beat when he takes over.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:03 AM, ET80 said:

Adam Archuleta is on the F team at CBS, and is usually doing Texans games with Spiro Dedes - he doesn't even bother getting the names right. If I had a buck for every time he's mentioned DeAndre Watkins or Deshaun Hopkins, I'd have enough for a case of beer.

It's so annoying - I mean, even the slightest effort avoids these mistakes.

You forgot DeMondre Thomkins

30 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Yeah but joe buck isnt what id call reserved. And summerall was paired with Madden, a perfect pairing since Madden could fill a room with his voice and personality.

Aikman on the other hand....you dont want him to do all the talking lol.

I think a Romo - Buck pairing would be great. Romo could be super enthusiastic, predict playcalls. Buck could be a steady, bland presence next to him.

That would be a real good pairing, which is why Nantz (this generations pat summerall) work so well together.  Us GenXers are spoiled a bit, we got the tail end of the GREAT radio voices that had moved into TV, **** Enberg, Pat Summerall, Bob Costas, Al Michaels, guys who know how to paint a picture with their words.  For this next Gen on TV appearance matters as much as anything.  Which is another thing I take issue in today's broadcasts.  We dont need 10 booth visits per segment.  Let the game tell a story, give us sideline looks at coaches coaching.  Let's look at the play, the number of times a snap has been missed this year bc we are too concerned with who the sideline reporter is talking to, or we have to show Aikmans freakishly large hands and Bucks freakishly large head is far too many

On 1/29/2019 at 7:58 AM, PapaShogun said:

Seems like a lot of young viewers now would have hated Pat Summerall. That's a shame. He was as dry as it gets, but I liked him. I'm definitely in the minority, but I like more reserved commentary a lot of the time. You watch a lot of old games, announcers did get excited, but now some guys overdo it a tad.

I think that Madden and Summerall just stayed a few years too long.  I kind of feel the same way about Troy Aikman.  Aikman has been on Fox since 2001.  It is just getting stale.  Madden was doing games for 29 years.  Summerall was working from 1962 to 2011.

I don't really mind most of the in game commentators.  The ones that really stick with me were Jon Gruden, Dennis Miller, and Tony Kornheiser.  Gruden was all of the bad things about John Madden, but none of the good.  Dennis Miller was trying to do Dennis Miller Live during a football game, both of which I like, but not together.  And Kornheiser seemed to be trying to be Dennis Miller.

Archived