Hot Take Thread

BleedTheClock

59 minutes ago, reamer said:

LJ Collier will have the longest run as a quality starter without reaching the pro bowl. Other EDGE players will go higher, and have higher peaks, but he'll grind out a 10+ year career and outlast them.

I think he ends up a Patriot and replaces Flowers in a rotation if Flowers leaves in FA. 

• Like 1

On 10/02/2019 at 10:40 PM, jrry32 said:

I'll add a few more later. I'm not much of a hot take guy, but the best I can muster right now:

Cortez Broughton and Chase Winovich are future Pro Bowlers

Mack Wilson is a disappointment

I'm here for the Mack Wilson is a disappointment takes.

But he's gonna look so good running around in shorts, people are gonna forget all those times he consistently finds himself on the wrong side of every play with bad reads.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jeezla said:

This might be the worst off-ball LB class I've ever seen.

Really?  I have seen worse, you have a few stars in this group.  White is arguably the best ILB to come into the NFL in 5 years, and it would not surprise me if Gary Johnson, Chase Hansen, Justin Hollins, Long, Pratt or some others had some very solid pro careers.  Then guys like Hanks, Cameron Smith, Tranquill etc could really be a solid pickup in the mid to late rounds, same with Blake Cashman.  

Devin White LSU JR
Devin Bush Michigan JR
Mack Wilson Alabama JR
Gary Johnson Texas
Tre Lamar Clemson JR
Chase Hansen Utah RS
Justin Hollins Oregon RS
David Long Jr West Virginia RS JR
Germaine Pratt NC State RS JR
Sione Takitaki BYU
Blake Cashman Minnesota 
Cameron Smith USC
Joe Giles Harris Duke RS JR
Ben Burr-Kirven Washington
Te'von Coney Notre Dame
Drue Tranquill Notre Dame
Terrill Hanks NM St
Vosean Joseph Florida JR

Next year could be far less deep that this season if you think this season is bad, but does depend on what one is exactly looking for.  And some guys might really develop next year will see.  

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I'm here for the Mack Wilson is a disappointment takes.

But he's gonna look so good running around in shorts, people are gonna forget all those times he consistently finds himself on the wrong side of every play with bad reads.

I watched him after watching Devin Bush. With Wilson, I was expecting to see something special because he's often projected to go before or in the same range as Bush. I've read people say that he's more raw, but he's very gifted. Well, watching the two, I saw Bush as the much more gifted player and the better football player. Wilson didn't have the quickness or closing speed that Bush has, and I didn't see instincts or technical skills that more than made up for it. I might end up being wrong, but I saw an unremarkable player.

23 minutes ago, reamer said:

Forgot hot takes, this is scalding. I'd take R. Smith, LVE, and Edmunds over him just from last year alone. 

I'd take Darius Leonard over him too,  without knowing Leonard would be DROY. Thought Leonard was a late 1st. I think White is more of an early 2nd that's going to go round 1 because the lb class as a whole is pathetic, unless you need a wlb. If you need a mlb or sam, this class is garbage.

Edited by Jeezla

22 hours ago, Jeezla said:

This might be the worst off-ball LB class I've ever seen.

A few weeks ago I was talking in the 49er forum about how bad I thought this off ball LB class was. Just nothing that tickles my fancy at all. Not deep. A couple of nice pieces at the top, and then that's it. A couple of late round flier types to crush on at the bottom, but otherwise, this class is brutal to me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I'd take Darius Leonard over him too,  without knowing Leonard would be DROY. Thought Leonard was a late 1st. I think White is more of an early 2nd that's going to go round 1 because the lb class as a whole is pathetic, unless you need a wlb. If you need a mlb or sam, this class is garbage.

Darius Leonard played in a tackle system where he was put in position to make a ton of tackles based on all the zone coverage they played.  Had a great year no doubt but other players could have done similar things potentially if put in that spot as well.  And even with Roquan he was put on the Bears with an outstanding DL to keep guys off him and solid LBs all around him so that helped him big time I think and he was more than protected, so he was put in a great situation as well.  White is an elite player, to call him a 2nd rounder well that will simply not happening unless he times out horribly.  The kid is strong, great getting off blocks, very thick and has decent athletic ability, great leader he is a complete player.  Best ILB to come into the league since CJ Mosely I would say.  

5 hours ago, Forge said:

A few weeks ago I was talking in the 49er forum about how bad I thought this off ball LB class was. Just nothing that tickles my fancy at all. Not deep. A couple of nice pieces at the top, and then that's it. A couple of late round flier types to crush on at the bottom, but otherwise, this class is brutal to me. 

The class has three former safeties who I feel have big time potential at OLB, just on coverage alone that is extremely interesting and all have made that switch while in college and I think they all looked pretty damn solid at LB.  Gary Johnson is a run and hit athlete who could time very well at the combine, Tre Lamar is physically really impressive and Justin Hollins has great athletic upside and length, not to mention David Long who is wonderful at getting into the backfield and making plays and is solid and quick in space able to make plays.  

If this class is so awful where are these other amazing groups that are so much better than this one?  Sure if you do not really like any LBs in this class that is fine but just because you do not like them does not mean they cannot play.  

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Sure if you do not really like any LBs in this class that is fine but just because you do not like them does not mean they cannot play.  

Just because you do like them doesn't mean that they can....

It's an opinion. We are entitled to them. I Don't like this off the ball class, you do. That's fine. 

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Check out Jeff Allison from Fresno State

• Like 1