Hot Take Thread

BleedTheClock

There will be more Pro Bowlers drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round of this year's draft than the 1st round.

I think the top of this year's draft is weak but there is decent depth in the middle rounds.  Overall the talent in this class pales in comparison to the 2017 and 2018 draft classes.  Those drafts were legendary. 

• Like 1

I think the Titans will take a QB in round one. The team's personnel is different than the one who drafted Mariota, and with a risky contract situation coming up (he's on his 5th year of rookie contract), they may want to take their chances with fresh blood. They're at pick 19, but I can see them jumping the Redskins at 15 and even the Dolphins at 13 to get their guy. I think they will draft a QB anyway to compete with Gabbert and a FA signing for the backup spot, but if they fall in love with someone and he gets past the Jags at pick 7, I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a move on draft night.

On 2/15/2019 at 2:34 PM, VanS said:

There will be more Pro Bowlers drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round of this year's draft than the 1st round.

I think the top of this year's draft is weak but there is decent depth in the middle rounds.  Overall the talent in this class pales in comparison to the 2017 and 2018 draft classes.  Those drafts were legendary. 

That makes sense. Because this is such a d line heavy draft your going to get more position variance in the 2nd and 3rd rounds  which could lead to more pro bowlers at different spots

• 2 weeks later...

This draft will be remembered and written about as a major turning point in the history of the sport. The moment that pro football shifted permanently from a focus on size and strength, to a focus on speed and skill. Kyler Murray will be the poster boy of that shift. Ten years from now nobody will bat an eyelid at the thought of a QB under 6ft tall.

(I realize this is quite a long-term hot-take, but I wanted to go big with my first post lol).

• Like 2

1. Charles Omenihu is a more talented player than Rashan Gary

2. Gerald Willis has 1st round talent

3. Josh Jacobs and Montez Sweat are not 1st round talents

4. Brett Rypien will be drafted in the top 2 rounds

5. Dexter Lawrence will be a massive steal in round 2 and outperform every IDL except Q. Williams during his career

3 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

1. Charles Omenihu is a more talented player than Rashan Gary

2. Gerald Willis has 1st round talent

3. Josh Jacobs and Montez Sweat are not 1st round talents

4. Brett Rypien will be drafted in the top 2 rounds

5. Dexter Lawrence will be a massive steal in round 2 and outperform every IDL except Q. Williams during his career

I happen to agree with a lot of this.

- There will be just as many if not more offensive players than defensive players drafted in the top 10

- This edge class is very overrated outside of Bosa/Allen

- This is an extremely talented CB class. I see 5-6 first round prospects

- Dwayne Haskins is going to be an average at best pro (Dalton, Stafford type)

- Devin White is a SAM linebacker in the NFL, he won't do well at MIKE or WILL

- Cody Ford is the best lineman in this draft and will go top 10

9 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

More interior defensive linemen go in round 2 than round 1. 

Both Iowa TEs go in round 1, neither has a decent career. 

Jeffery Simmons and Greg Little never start a game in their careers. 

These are all crazy hot takes.

I think in order for this to happen, a car driven by a drunk and cracked out Jeffery Simmons, Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, Ed Oliver and Greg Little would have to smash into a car carrying both Fant and Hockenson, causing them severe career-ending injuries.

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

This would absolutely floor me. I see 2 right now with Greedy & Deandre Baker. And then I don't see a CB I like until about round 3, in Justin Layne.

I agree that 5-6 first round CB talents is an absolutely scorching hot take.  I see...maybe 1 with Greedy, who i have reservations about.

I don't necessarily agree on the second part though.  I think there are kind of a bundle of potential Day2 CBs that could be solid Pros.  And for the sriracha splash on this all...i'm not sure Deandre Baker is one of them.  He's going to have to land in the right system to be a long-term starting CB.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

I agree that 5-6 first round CB talents is an absolutely scorching hot take.  I see...maybe 1 with Greedy, who i have reservations about.

I don't necessarily agree on the second part though.  I think there are kind of a bundle of potential Day2 CBs that could be solid Pros.  And for the sriracha splash on this all...i'm not sure Deandre Baker is one of them.  He's going to have to land in the right system to be a long-term starting CB.

I like a few CBs, but they’ve all got to land in the right spot. Greedy is the most talented, but he needs someone to coach him hard because his effort levels seem all over the place.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

This would absolutely floor me. I see 2 right now with Greedy & Deandre Baker. And then I don't see a CB I like until about round 3, in Justin Layne.

Byron Murphy is a first round lock. Trayvon Mullen is a stud and can play outside or nickel, and the nickel CB position is becoming more and more important. I see them both going R1 along with the other two you mentioned. Then you have bigger guys like Oruwayire, Lonnie Johnson, and Joejuan Williams who are all 6'1+ that I could see a team liking. 7 guys who I see getting serious consideration. Ultimately I expect at least four corners going R1. Last year was the first year since 2012 that there weren't at least four CB's drafted in R1.

Edited by jetjuice

12 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

These are all crazy hot takes.

I think in order for this to happen, a car driven by a drunk and cracked out Jeffery Simmons, Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, Ed Oliver and Greg Little would have to smash into a car carrying both Fant and Hockenson, causing them severe career-ending injuries.

Ask and ye shall receive. 

I would just like to say players from Miss State who are higher rated prospects on Defense have been turning out. All of them except maybe Jonathan Banks if I remember correctly?

Fletcher Cox

Chris Jones

Darius Slay

KJ Wright 

Bernardrick McKinney

Denico Autry (9 sacks last season)

Pernell McPhee

Preston Smith (maybe hasn’t lived up with sack numbers but his pressures are pretty high if I recall)

• Like 1