Hot Take Thread

BleedTheClock

2 hours ago, jetjuice said:

Trayvon Mullen is a stud

Is he really though? He's got talent but he's not yet put it all together. His technique is sloppy and he's not someone that likes to tackle. With the DL and WR/TE groups loaded with talent, I have a hard time believing someone is going to take Trayvon Mullen in the 1st round. He's barely an average draft prospect. I like his upside, but a stud he is not.

I am on an island all by myself with this one too, but I don't like Byron Murphy. I find him incredibly overrated and really only a fit in an all-off zone scheme.

15 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Is he really though? He's got talent but he's not yet put it all together. His technique is sloppy and he's not someone that likes to tackle. With the DL and WR/TE groups loaded with talent, I have a hard time believing someone is going to take Trayvon Mullen in the 1st round. He's barely an average draft prospect. I like his upside, but a stud he is not.

I am on an island all by myself with this one too, but I don't like Byron Murphy. I find him incredibly overrated and really only a fit in an all-off zone scheme.

I honestly don't disagree on Murphy. I don't personally love him. I think he needs to go to a zone defense like Pittsburgh to truly flourish, but I don't have any doubt that he's going to be drafted in R1.

I like Mullen though, he can neutralize receivers with his physical ability and has great ball skills. I would hardly say he doesn't like to tackle. He's rather good in run support. And he offers versatility, which is becoming increasingly important. He played well in the playoffs and I think played himself into the R1 convo, curious to see his combine performance.

It's a hot take thread after all. I said this at first in comparison to the edge class, which I think is overrated outside of Bosa and Allen. I think a guy like Oruwariye is definitely a R1 talent and can become better at his position than guys like Polite, Sweat, Burns, Gary, and Ferrell. I think Greedy and Baker become studs quickly in the NFL. Guess we'll have to see on Mullen, I have him as my #5 behind Greedy, Baker, Oruwariye, and Murphy. I won't be surprised if it happens.

Edited by jetjuice

On 1/28/2019 at 9:24 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Call your shots. It's time to toss out your conflicting opinions!

1. Ed Oliver is the best player in this draft class.

2. Joe Jackson will be one of the top 5 players from this draft class.

3. Diontae Johnson will become an elite NFL WR.

4. Mitch Hyatt and Max Scharping become high end starting OT's, surpassing both Jonah Williams and Greg Little once they hit the NFL.

5. Cody Ford does not go in the 1st round and becomes a bust.

6. DK Metcalf will go in the top 10.

7. Dre'mont Jones is severely overrated.

8. Greg Gaines becomes the best run stopping DT from this draft class.

9. Byron Murphy will be a bust, Deionte Thompson will be a bust, Jaquan Johnson will be the best DB from this class.

10. This WR class will be legendary in terms of its depth.

Well considering you put 3 to 4 of the guys i want the Falcons to draft in this list as future studs and guys i think we really will take a good look at drafting i'll tend to agree. 

Oliver, Jackson, Max, and Gaines  are all on my falcons draft list of players i have us taking at some point or another in most mock drafts i do for us.

On 1/28/2019 at 9:24 PM, BleedTheClock said:

5. Cody Ford does not go in the 1st round

That I don't buy. Some teams may view him as a guard which could hurt his stock a little, but after Jonah and Jawaan go top 10 he's competing as the next best RT/OG for a team that needs one. No way he lasts until day two. He could go as high as 12 to Cincinnati all things considered.

Joe Jackson and Clelin Ferrell aren't terribly far apart. Ferrell is undeniably more polished, but he also benefited from more surrounding talent and he had a redshirt year to develop. My bet is Jackson will have a similar career arc after a year in the pros to improve technique, and if a coach is willing to take on the project, then he may get a top tier DE at a discounted rate.

Jackson in 35 games: 129 tackles, 36 TFL, 24 sacks,  1 INT (for a TD), 5 PD, 5 FF.

Ferrell in 43 games: 166 tackles, 50 TFL,  27 sacks, 5 PD, 5 FF.

Jackson:

6042 275 10 34.125 80

Ferrell:

6043 264 10.5 34.125 82.375

@SBLIII @BleedTheClock Hot enough of a take for you? :D

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

If he falls that far.

For real. I still think Quinnen Williams and Nick Bosa go 1 and 2. The Jets are still the most realistic opportunity for a team to trade up for to acquire Haskins or Murray. After moving up for Darnold last year, the Jets can restock the draft picks they lost in that deal to remodel a roster with numerous holes. At the same time, what better way to help out your developing QB by taking a freak like Metcalf? I still think trading down would be too tempting to pass up, especially in a draft class loaded with receivers.

Oakland feels like Metcalf's most likely landing spot to me.

Edited by SmittyBacall

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

For real. I still think Quinnen Williams and Nick Bosa go 1 and 2. The Jets are still the most realistic opportunity for a team to trade up for to acquire Haskins or Murray. After moving up for Darnold last year, the Jets can restock the draft picks they lost in that deal to remodel a roster with numerous holes. At the same time, what better way to help out your developing QB by taking a freak like Metcalf? I still think trading down would be too tempting to pass up, especially in a draft class loaded with receivers.

Oakland feels like Metcalf's most likely landing spot to me.

I agree. We could see something like

1. Arizona - Kyler Murray

2. San Fran - Nick Bosa

3. trade/someone - Dwayne Haskins

4. Oakland - DK Metcalf

Would drop both Quinnen and Allen farther than anyone has really mocked so far. It would shake up the whole draft. And I'd be all for it.