GPG27 Mock Offseason V.1 (Return to Relevance)

gopackgo27

I like your mock draft and for the most part think the players land where you have them going. I could see that H-Back pick (either 6-7th rounds) going to Andrew Beck from Texas, but that's pretty nit-picking. I'm on board with Simmons, just hope he hangs around that long.

Only two doubts on FA: First doubt I have is Crowder going to make it 16 games? Is he healthy? If not that receiver pick won't be Stanley, but Penny from Ga. Southern.(Better slot guy and KR/PR) Second doubt, Houston has a lot of mileage on him. Suspect that Gutsy makes a run at ZaDarius Smith of the Ravens.  

Like some things (investing into youth at TE and replacing Cobb) but don't love it overall.  Think we need more of an investment into OLB.  Houston wouldn't be a terrible stop gap if he's cheap but his time in the NFL is coming to an end sooner rather than later.  With the release and non-retention of CM3 and Perry I don't like that he's our big offseason improvement at EDGE.

I'm a Michigan fan that likes Winovich a ton but I don't love him in the 3rd.  I question whether he's going to be athletic enough in the NFL as effort and motor only go so far.  A second edge rusher with one of our 4th round picks or 5th round pick, maybe.  The first edge defender off the board for us?  No thanks.  

6 hours ago, SSG said:

Like some things (investing into youth at TE and replacing Cobb) but don't love it overall.  Think we need more of an investment into OLB.  Houston wouldn't be a terrible stop gap if he's cheap but his time in the NFL is coming to an end sooner rather than later.  With the release and non-retention of CM3 and Perry I don't like that he's our big offseason improvement at EDGE.

I'm a Michigan fan that likes Winovich a ton but I don't love him in the 3rd.  I question whether he's going to be athletic enough in the NFL as effort and motor only go so far.  A second edge rusher with one of our 4th round picks or 5th round pick, maybe.  The first edge defender off the board for us?  No thanks.  

I hear ya, went back & forth on grabbing an edge earlier. I just can't shake this quote from Pettine...

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/01/packers-prioritizing-interior-pass-rush-under-mike-pettine/

The Packers new defensive coordinator places a premium on rushing the passer from the inside.

“That’s where it starts. It starts up front. People talk about the exterior pass rush, I think the interior pass rush is as important or maybe potentially more important,” Pettine said Thursday. “If you can be dominant inside, I think that has a ripple effect throughout your defense.”

“It’s much easier to negate an edge pass rusher than it is an inside dominant guy. You can force offenses to block them one-on-one,” Pettine said. “Offenses have gotten very good at negating edge rushers.”

It's clear he values DL over LBs, think that may show through the Draft unless we get crazy good value (Allen falling).

1 hour ago, gopackgo27 said:

I hear ya, went back & forth on grabbing an edge earlier. I just can't shake this quote from Pettine...

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/01/packers-prioritizing-interior-pass-rush-under-mike-pettine/

It's clear he values DL over LBs, think that may show through the Draft unless we get crazy good value (Allen falling).

I understand that but Pettine will never have a championship caliber defense as long as he needs to bring the house to get pressure.  We need more talent on the edge.

I like the idea of bringing Yeldon in on the cheap. Didn't know Crowder was a FA. I'd be all over that if we can lure him to Green Bay. I don't think we need to trade up for Fant when we can have Hockenson, or even better, get Irv Smith Jr. a little later. 

Archived