Polar Vortex Mock Draft

66fan

My first mock draft of 2019 is intended to help improve the defense which in turn will improve the team in its return to the playoffs.

If you look at team rankings from 2018 the most glaring deficiencies were with the Packers running game.

*The Packers ranked 32nd in the NFL in rushing attempts with 20.8 attempts per game. The Rams were 4th (29.6 per game)  Titans were 9th (28.5 per game)

*The Packers averaged 104.2 yards rushing per game (22nd in NFL), Rams averaged 143 yards per game (3rd NFL), Titans averaged 126 yards per game (6th NFL)

*The packers averaged 4.5 punt attempts per game while the Rams punted only 2.7 times per game (least in the NFL)

Conclusion is that the Packer defense can be greatly improved by improving the offense by improving the running game.

Retained Players: 

Allison, Graham, Bulaga, Wilkerson, Matthews, Breeland

Not Retained Players:

Cobb, Perry, Kendricks, Lewis

Free Agent Signings:

*DONE* Za'Darius Smith- Edge Ravens   Connection with Milt Hendrickson the Packers will make him the off season priority signing

*CHANGE TO ADRIAN AMOS* Earl Thomas- Safety Seahawks  He will be brought in for team leadership that has been missing on the defensive side of the ball

*ADD PRESTON SMITH*

Draft

*Trade*  The Raiders are looking to move up for either Drew Locke or Daniel Jones.  Packers trade pick 12 to the Raiders in exchange for picks 27 and 35. (1200 points for 1230 points according to the trade value chart)

#27  TJ Hockenson, TE, Iowa    Best tight end in draft.  Will improve run blocking while being a great receiving target.

#30 Dalton Risner, OG, Kansas   Starts at right guard but moves to right tackle to replace Bulaga in year 2.

#35 Chris Lindstrom, OG, Boston College   Starts at left guard for the next 10 years

#44 Jaylon Ferguson, Edge, Louisiana Tech

*Trade*  The Packers trade picks 76 and 111 to the Patriots for pick 63 (276 points for 282 points trade value chart)

#63 Rock Ya-Sin, CB/S, Temple

#109 Anthony Nelson, DE, Iowa

#140 Andrew Van Ginkle, OLB, Wisconsin  Special teams stalwart 

#172 Alec Ingold, FB/HB, Wisconsin  Great lead blocker and good receiver.  Green Bay native.  Google his Senior Bowl block.

#182 Xavier Crawford, CB, Central Michigan University  Practice squad candidate.

#204 James Williams, RB, Washington State University   Very good college receiving back

2019 Roster

Offense

QB(3) Rodgers, Boyle, Kizer (yes I have Boyle ahead of Kizer)

RB(4) Jones, Williams,  James Williams, Ingold (FB/ H-BACK)

WR(6)  Adams, Allison, MVS, ESB, Kumerow, Moore

TE(3) Hockerson, Graham, Tonyan (Ingold will be additional blocking TE)

OL(9)  Bakhtari, Lindstrom, Linsley, Risner, Bulaga start from left to right  Backups:  Spriggs, Light, Siragusa, and Cole Madison returns from year away and works to develop into RG or RT for 2020.

Defense

DL(6)  Daniels, Clark, Wilkerson, Lowry, Lancaster, Nelson

Edge(5) Smith, Matthews, Ferguson, Fackrell, Van Ginkle

LB(4) Martinez, Morrison, Burks, Crawford

CB(6) Breeland, King, Alexander, Jackson, Brown, Jamerson

S(4) Thomas, Ya-Sin, Jones, Campbell

Special Teams

K(1)  Crosby

P(1)  Scott

LS(1)  Bradley

I know that I will be highly criticized for drafting offense with the first 3 picks, but if we get our running game fixed, we will also improve our time of possession on offense and will be much less reliant on our defense to win games.  

If we can also reduce our average number of times per game punting the football by even one per game, that would be great too.  I feel that the new coaching staff will be more aggressive on offense and NOT punt on 4th and 2 in plus territory as much as MM did.  

Sorry for no graphics or pictures.

If I were to be critical, I'd say you traded up down for a non premium position while bypassing a lot of talent at EDGE and DL.  Especially DL.

But...you retained Wilkerson to help bolster than DL.

And...you got me an EDGE that I covet at #44 via Ferguson.  I really like him.

You got the tight end for the future, two starter type on the o-line and an EDGE.  I can't complain at all.

Nice job!

Yes, teams are winning because they're running the ball. They're not running the ball because they're already winning. Seriously?

Giving up a top 15 pick in the most loaded Defensive draft class in a decade, in order to draft a TE and a Guard is baffling.

Just say no to all your big ten guys in the middle rounds.

39 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yes, teams are winning because they're running the ball. They're not running the ball because they're already winning. Seriously?

Giving up a top 15 pick in the most loaded Defensive draft class in a decade, in order to draft a TE and a Guard is baffling.

I think some people need to be more "positive" in their feedback lol. Don't want to discourage people from posting their mocks because i like to read them ;)

24 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

I'd have to look into it more, but just quickly glancing at your rushing numbers it seems we run the ball just as efficiently as the two teams you highlighted. It's the commitment to running that's the issue

Yes, we were very efficient at running the ball. Just need more commitment to it. I was comparing to LaFleur’s previous teams and what we might see going forward. 8 or 9 more attempts per game could mean an additional 3 or 4 more minutes in time of possession to have the defense off of the field.

I'm not a fan of moving down from #12.  The last time we had 2 first round picks - a #9 for Raji and moved up to get Matthews at #26 - we won the SB a season later.  So many of us bemoan the fact we don't have impact players.  I think our chances of getting an darn good player at #12 is higher than if we move back down into the 20s and draft down there, again.  

I typically am cool trading down a bit if the deal is right, but I absolutely hate the idea of trading pick 12 down for a whopping 30 points in an out of date chart. This is the best shot we've had at a real impact pass rusher since 2009 and you'd give it up for a guard and a TE? ..... Dumb.... I know we need both, but TE is a position that is notorious for being a crap shoot and getting no early return. G is also a position that teams usually don't draft high.

There typically is only like 20-25 real first round talents and we shouldn't give up one for a lotto ticket on 2 players. I know this is hindsight bias and people fall through the cracks all the time, but think of the trade back last year. If we didn't trade back up for a blue chip player, we would ended up with Mike Hughes or Josh Jackson at 27 (meh players) and the 30th pick this year (essentially a second round pick) for whoever we would have drafted at 14 (D James, Alexander, Davenport).

On a team that needs some impact guys, sometimes you just have to take a dude. People were pissed when we traded up for Clay because they wanted Connor Barwin and some nobody DT  the Bears took that could jump out of a pool. I honestly am not surprised there have been few mocks with us trading up from 30 to like 20 since we have an extra 4th from the Dix trade.

This mock kind of lost me at the start. Running the football isn't how you win in the NFL. Passing efficiency is. The Packers offense wasn't disappointing because they didn't run the ball more, it was disappointing because their passing efficiency wasn't good enough. It was predominantly disappointing because Aaron got sacked eleven million times on 3rd down. Draft is largely fine aside from the fact that both AVG and Ingold should be UDFAs.

I don’t think that I said that running the ball was the way to winning football. I said that we need to be more committed to running the ball to help the defense. Also will help the passing game to be more efficient.

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I should have been more specific on the trade down. I should have said that if our top defensive choices are not available, then we consider a trade down. Some of the second and third tier defensive players remind me of former highly drafted players that we chose.

Jamaal Reynolds pick #10

Alphonso Carreker pick #12

Vonnie Holiday pick #19

Datone Jones pick #26

24 minutes ago, 66fan said:

I should have been more specific on the trade down. I should have said that if our top defensive choices are not available, then we consider a trade down. Some of the second and third tier defensive players remind me of former highly drafted players that we chose.

Jamaal Reynolds pick #10

Alphonso Carreker pick #12

Vonnie Holiday pick #19

Datone Jones pick #26

Who the **** is Alphonso Carreker and what does he have to do with anybody in this draft class?

Archived