Resign…

RB…Benny Cunningham

FB…Michael Burton

WR…Josh Bellamy

OG…Bryan Witzmann

OC…Eric Kush

CB…Adrian Amos

LS…Patrick Scales

Cunningham is the perfect #3 back in the NFL because he does everything well as a back and is an excellent special teamer…Burton is a solid FB for when we need one…Bellamy deserves some credit since he was actually decent at times last year…I expect him to continue to back up the slot and play teams…Witzmann has been a pleasant surprise after being pushed into starting action…he is a solid backup inside…Kush is another solid interior player who can step up at two different spots but I think allowing him to backup solely at centre would make sense…Amos doesn’t have elite playmaking ability which will diminish his market but he is a very solid run player with excellent range…I think we can retain him by cutting some guys with bigger numbers…Scales is solid.

RFA

TE…Ben Braunecker

OT…Rashaad Coward

DE…Roy Robertson-Harris

OLB…Isaiah Irving

S…DeAndre Houston-Carson

I would retain every one of these guys for obvious reasons.

Let Walk…

WR…Kevin White

DE…Nick Williams

OLB…Aaron Lynch

CB…Marcus Williams

CB…Bryce Callahan

P…Pat O'Donnell  

White’s best trait is a blocker which is not great for a WR so it’s time to move on…Williams is just a body…Lynch is the guy we let walk to save some money…Callahan is obviously a tough one to lose given how well he has played but health is a red flag and we have to cap how much we spend on him somewhere so I expect a more desperate team with a bigger cap to over spend on him…Williams has done nothing to keep…O’Donnell has been too up and down and we need to demand more from our special teams.

Release…

TE…Dion Sims

OT…Bradley Sowell

OG…Kyle Long

OLB…Sam Acho

K…Cody Parkey

Sims is as obvious a cut as Glennon last season…Sowell can be upgraded and potentially already has by Coward…Long has simply had one to many injuries to warrant continuing to pay him…as good a locker room presence as he is with our cap situation we have to move on a save the $8.5 million cap hit and use the $5.5 million on a guy like Whitehair…Acho has been a sneaky good pickup for us but with his cap figure and some of the young guys we have at the position we move on…Parkey can’t be allowed to put a Bears uniform on again.

Trade…

Bears trade RB Jordan Howard for a 4th round pick…

There would be a number of takers for Howard this offseason…I feel I am low balling him at a 4th because as a player he is far more valuable that this but it is clear he does not fit the running style Nagy’s offence demands and there is no way we are going to pay him big money the following offseason so we sell to the highest bidder…sad to see him go because there is no doubt he is one of the better backs in the NFL.

Free Agents…

RB…Kareem Hunt…5-11” 218lbs…

Obvious concerns about the off field issues which none of us are in a position to know the full extent of or indeed the help he has got and potential progress he has made with those issues but if the off-field stuff checks out for ownership, Pace & Nagy then Hunt has to be the number one FA target for this team…on the field he is proven in this scheme to be a top 5-8 running back in the NFL…he has every skill needed to excel from speed and the ability to make guys miss to contact balance and the ability to break tackles…his hands are excellent and he is a true 3 down back who would open up this entire offence…get Hunt going and all of a sudden guys like Robinson & Burton have one on one coverage and Gabriel and Burton have free releases which basically makes them uncoverable…the idea of Hunt as a player on this team really makes me feel as though we could go all the way…

Alternative…RB…Mark Ingram…5-9” 215lbs…

If we can’t don’t feel comfortable with Hunt and what will surround signing him then Mark Ingram would be the perfect alternative who offers much of the same attributes as Hunt…still young enough to carry the load for a season or two he will be cheaper than the liked of Coleman and offers more toughness to grind out yards and be a quality complement with Cohen and co.

OG…A.J Cann…6-3” 325lbs…

Kyle Long has been a great player and possibly even better leader but man oh man is his body breaking down on him…multiple surgeries are never good for a 30+ OG and with his cap figure it’s time to move on and invest that money in Cody Whitehair…to do that we keep a solid if unspectacular replacement…Cann is exactly that…highly experienced and a strong run blocker he is never going to be elite but will be good enough to keep Trubisky upright and open running lanes.  

OLB…Dante Fowler…6-3” 255lbs…

If the right coach can get into Fowler’s head then we could have a superstar on our hands…can those coaches be Chuck & Ted? Possibly…is it work a risk? Definitely…Fowler has all the talent in the world and a similar skill set to the likes of Mack and Suggs where he can beat guys with speed or power…just needs to get his head in the game and play hard every game.   

Brandon Copeland…6-3” 270lbs…

One thing Pagano’s defences have always had is some bigger edge guys…Copeland hardly played in Detroit but after signing a one year deal with the Jets he put up 5 sacks and looked fairly solid through the year…adding more depth and versatility on the outside can never be a bad thing and we have seen that when our pass rush works to its full capacity it is almost impossible to move the ball on us...this would be one of those sneaky pickups very few would notice but could pay off pretty well for us.

K…Robbie Gould…6-0” 190lbs…

Gould could be tagged by the niners…but if he isn’t then it just makes too much sense for Gould not to come back here…his family is here and he has been fairly open about the fact he would love to come home…we badly need a quality kicker…why not make it simply?

Draft…

Round 3…

NB…Hamp Cheevers…5-10” 185lbs…Boston College…

After that free agency the only starter we need to replace would be Callahan…and if you loved him you will adore Cheevers…brining similar size and athletic profile he looks like the modern day nickel in the NFL and can match up with some of the smaller uber athletic slots…add to that he is more physical than Callahan and could have the best ball skills of any corner in the draft after recording 7 INTs last season and we add another ball hawk to what is already a quality secondary.

Round 4 (Trade of Howard)…

WR…Diontae Johnson…5-11” 190lbs…Toledo…

Some will be really surprised to see a WR here but this is a future proofing move…with some big contracts like Whitehair & Floyd coming up then Jackson, Cohen & Trubisky coming up we will need to make some cuts somewhere…if we cut Allen Robinson going into next offseason he count’s $2 million in dead money but saves us $13 million against the cap…that is a fair chunk of money in an offence that doesn’t rely on a #1 WR…adding Johnson gives this team even more speed on the outside but that is not all he is…watching his technique in getting off the LOS is a thing of beauty with excellent hand usage to get open quickly…excellent in and out of his cuts and along with Miller could give us two really good fits at outside WR in this scheme along with Wims who I am very high on as a redzone weapon…Johnson made all-MAC at receiver, kick returner and put returner so he also adds plenty of value on terms as well.

Round 4…

RB…Bruce Anderson…5-11” 208lbs…North Dakota State…

Brining in Hunt would be major for this franchise but there is a suspension coming his way…don’t bring him in and bring in Ingram and your brining in a soon to be 30 year old who has been in a shared backfield the last few seasons…either way adding another RB is not a bad thing for this team…Anderson is a very similar running style to Hunt with quick feet and the ability to make people miss while not having elite long speed…he also brings receiving skills and is an outstanding kick and punt returner…again Pace and Nagy clearly value versatility and Anderson gives us that…it also allows us to move Cohen into being even more of a match up nightmare where he can truly be used in space without having to run the ball as often…i.e Tyreek Hill.

Round 5…

DL…Daylon Mack…6-1” 335lbs…Texas A&M…

One thing I expect to change is the DL make up and rotation…Fangio always had somewhat undersize and athletic NTs with Goldman being easily the biggest of his career…in Baltimore and with Pagano it has always been a much bigger NT like Brandon Williams & Michael Pierce…even bigger in Ngata and Cody…so with that and Goldman’s athletic ability I expect to see him take snaps at both NT as well as DE with us finding another huge body upfront…Mack is extremely talented with quick feet and outstanding power…his lack of length and limited production is the reason he falls to this spot but he seems very similar to Williams & Pierce…good luck to anyone trying to run against a front of Goldman (320lbs) Mack (335lbs) & Hicks (340lbs)…Roquan and Danny T would be loving playing behind that.

Round 7 (via Philly)…

CB…Jordan Wyatt…6-0” 193lbs…SMU…

Much like with Robinson I see no way Amukamara is on the 2020 roster due to the cap savings we can make…Wyatt is a really talented player who seems to be getting overlooked a lot pre-draft…hopefully that continues as he would be an excellent development guy who could possibly step up in a big way in 2020…if not at least be good depth and an excellent special teamer.

Round 7…

P…Jack Fox…6-2” 225lbs…Rice…

O’Donnell is so inconsistent and on a team with so few holes you need to have strong play from your special teams…at Rice there is no doubt Fox has punted a lot (6.2 punts per game last season) with an average of 45.45 yards per punt…also a kick off guy with 66.67% ending in touchbacks…good for 22nd in the nation so if Gould has lost any leg we can get Fox on kickoffs.

Depth Chart…

QB…Mitch Trubisky…Chase Dainel

RB…Kareem Hunt…Benny Anderson…Benny Cummingham

FB…Michael Burton                                                        

WR…Allen Robinson…Javon Wims                          

WR…Anthony Miller…Diontae Johnson                            

Weapon…Tarik Cohen…Taylor Gabriel                         

TE…Trey Burton…Adam Shaheen…Ben Braunecker

LT…Charles Leno

LG…James Daniels                     

C…Cody Whitehair…Eric Kush

RG…A.J McCann…Bryan Witzmann

RT…Bobby Massie…Rashaad Coward                                  

LE…Akiem Hicks…Roy Robertson-Harris

NT…Eddie Goldman…Daylon Mack                        

RE…Bilal Nichols…Jonathan Bullard                      

LOLB…Khalil Mack…Brandon Copeland                    

ILB…Roquan Smith…Nick Kwiatkoski                       

ILB…Danny Trevathan…Joel Iyiegbuniwe                             

ROLB…Leonard Floyd…Dante Fowler…Isaiah Irving/Kylie Fitts

NB…Hamp Cheevers…Sherrick McManis                

CB…Kyle Fuller…Jordan Wyatt

CB…Prince Amukamara…Kevin Toliver                  

SS…Adrian Amos…Deon Bush                    

FS…Eddie Jackson…Deandre Houston-Carson                    

P…Jack Fox

K…Robbie Gould

LS…Patrick Scales

20 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Resign…

RB…Benny Cunningham Okay. 

FB…Michael Burton Okay but have a plan for him.  

WR…Josh Bellamy Okay

OG…Bryan Witzmann Okay.

OC…Eric Kush  No thanks.

CB…Adrian Amos.  Likely too expensive.  

LS…Patrick Scales.    I don't remember even seeing him.  

RFA

TE…Ben Braunecker. Whatever.  He hasn't done much.  I am paying him peanuts if at all. 

OT…Rashaad Coward. Not enough information.  

DE…Roy Robertson-Harris. Okay. 

OLB…Isaiah Irving.  I didn't see much from him.  

S…DeAndre Houston-Carson. Coaches avoided playing him like plague for some reason.  

I would retain every one of these guys for obvious reasons.

Let Walk…

WR…Kevin White

DE…Nick Williams

OLB…Aaron Lynch

CB…Marcus Williams

CB…Bryce Callahan. I think he will too expensive to justify my injury concerns.  

P…Pat O'Donnell  

Release…

TE…Dion Sims

OT…Bradley Sowell

OG…Kyle Long.  Agreed.  

OLB…Sam Acho

K…Cody Parkey

Trade…

Bears trade RB Jordan Howard for a 4th round pick….   I am beginning to think Howard wasn't the problem.  I am keeping him through rookie contract as a starter or depth.  And I don't think you can get a 4th round pick for him.  

Free Agents…

RB…Kareem Hunt…5-11” 218lbs…. Lets do it!

Alternative…RB…Mark Ingram…5-9” 215lbs…. Pass.  For me it's Hunt or a rookie because of cap problems present and future.  

OG…A.J Cann…6-3” 325lbs…. Don't know this guy, but I think we need a FA guard so I like the thinking.  Especially if we cut Long like above.  BTW, I don't see us actually cutting Long. But I would.  

OLB…Dante Fowler…6-3” 255lbs…. Can't afford it likely.  

Brandon Copeland…6-3” 270lbs…  Pass

K…Robbie Gould…6-0” 190lbs… Too expensive. 

Draft…

Don't know the prospects.  I will assume you nailed it for now.

18 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Kush is worthless and DHC appears to be to last years coaches.  

Kush isn't worthless has has always looked like most backup linemen in the NFL...there is a distinct shortage around the NFL...I have no idea what your basing your view of DHC considering no one in our current coaching staff has even been allowed to speak with him yet.

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think you are thinking we are far too closer to the cap than we actually are...you say Amos & Callahan are too expensive but also that Fowler & Ingram would be too expensive...where do you want to spend money because if we don't that window will shut...we have plenty of room for manoeuvre. 

You spent a ton of money, that I do not think the Bears have,

RB…Benny Cunningham 1

FB…Michael Burton 1

WR…Josh Bellamy 1.5

OG…Bryan Witzmann 1.5

OC…Eric Kush 1.5

CB…Adrian Amos 7/season

-Tony Jefferson 8.5

-Micah Hyde 6

-Jonathan Cyprien 6.1

-Barry Church 6.5

LS…Patrick Scales 750k

15.2 million, which could back load a little to reduce the number.

TE…Ben Braunecker 750k

OT…Rashaad Coward 620k

DE…Roy Robertson-Harris 620k

OLB…Isaiah Irving 620k

S…DeAndre Houston-Carson 750k

3.3 million that can't be back loaded.

RB…Kareem Hunt…5-11” 218lbs… 1.5

OG…A.J Cann…6-3” 325lbs… 6-7

-Mark Glowinski 6

-Zach Fulton 7

-Zach Kline 7

-Brandon Fusco 4.5

OLB…Dante Fowler…6-3” 255lbs… 7.5 minimum, I think he gets close to 10/season

-Vinny Curry 7.5

-Trent Murphy 7.5

-Dauqan Jones 7

Brandon Copeland…6-3” 270lbs… 5

-Kareem Martin 5

-Denico Autry 5.9

-Chris Smith 4

K…Robbie Gould…6-0” 190lbs… 3 with a home town discount

23 million that can be back loaded a little.

3.5 Draft

4 Emergency in Season

49 million dollars spent. I would expect a much more understated offseason that that with less than 14 million currently in the war chest.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You spent a ton of money, that I do not think the Bears have,

RB…Benny Cunningham 1

FB…Michael Burton 1

WR…Josh Bellamy 1.5

OG…Bryan Witzmann 1.5

OC…Eric Kush 1.5

CB…Adrian Amos 7/season

-Tony Jefferson 8.5

-Micah Hyde 6

-Jonathan Cyprien 6.1

-Barry Church 6.5

LS…Patrick Scales 750k

15.2 million, which could back load a little to reduce the number.

TE…Ben Braunecker 750k

OT…Rashaad Coward 620k

DE…Roy Robertson-Harris 620k

OLB…Isaiah Irving 620k

S…DeAndre Houston-Carson 750k

3.3 million that can't be back loaded.

RB…Kareem Hunt…5-11” 218lbs… 1.5

OG…A.J Cann…6-3” 325lbs… 6-7

-Mark Glowinski 6

-Zach Fulton 7

-Zach Kline 7

-Brandon Fusco 4.5

OLB…Dante Fowler…6-3” 255lbs… 7.5 minimum, I think he gets close to 10/season

-Vinny Curry 7.5

-Trent Murphy 7.5

-Dauqan Jones 7

Brandon Copeland…6-3” 270lbs… 5

-Kareem Martin 5

-Denico Autry 5.9

-Chris Smith 4

K…Robbie Gould…6-0” 190lbs… 3 with a home town discount

23 million that can be back loaded a little.

3.5 Draft

4 Emergency in Season

49 million dollars spent. I would expect a much more understated offseason that that with less than 14 million currently in the war chest.

I think many of those numbers are way off man...no one is paying Fowler $7.5 million let alone $10...same goes for Cann no one is giving him $6-$7 million a year...if by some miracle someone does they are out there mind...I think that would even be overpaying Copeland who has only had one decent seaaon. 

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think many of those numbers are way off man...no one is paying Fowler $7.5 million let alone $10...same goes for Cann no one is giving him $6-$7 million a year...if by some miracle someone does they are out there mind...I think that would even be overpaying Copeland who has only had one decent seaaon. 

Those comp players are all similar or have worse production than the guys listed.

Fowler has played really well for the Rams. If he is cheaper than that they probably keep him they have 3x the cap room that the Bears do. Pass rushers get paid and Fowler is better than Vinny Curry, Trent Murphy.

Average OGs get paid average money, which is 6-7 million. Patrick Omameh got 3/15 last offseason. Cann is younger and better than most of the guys listed. He is at least comparable to those guys.

What do you think they get paid?

In terms of pass rushers they get paid,

Aaron Lynch got 4 million and he had played 14 games in 2 years and had started only 3 games, he was essentially bench for 2 years, and produced 1.5 sacks.

Kareem Martin got 5 million/season and he was a part time starter who had 4.5 career sacks in 4 years.

Vinny Curry had produced 9 sacks in the previous 3 season and was 30 years old and got 7.5 a season.

42 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Those comp players are all similar or have worse production than the guys listed.

Fowler has played really well for the Rams. If he is cheaper than that they probably keep him they have 3x the cap room that the Bears do. Pass rushers get paid and Fowler is better than Vinny Curry, Trent Murphy.

Average OGs get paid average money, which is 6-7 million. Patrick Omameh got 3/15 last offseason. Cann is younger and better than most of the guys listed. He is at least comparable to those guys.

What do you think they get paid?

It's easy to pick out bad contracts...it happens every year...the point is we are a team players will want to play for...IMO Fowler gets around $5 million as a situational pass rusher...Cann will be making again around $5 million...Copeland has had one decent year...he will be lucky to break $3 million a year...

Also in terms of overall cap turning Mack's figure into a bonus creates far more space.

4 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

It's easy to pick out bad contracts...it happens every year...the point is we are a team players will want to play for...IMO Fowler gets around $5 million as a situational pass rusher...Cann will be making again around $5 million...Copeland has had one decent year...he will be lucky to break $3 million a year...

Also in terms of overall cap turning Mack's figure into a bonus creates far more space.

Even if you reduce them to 5 million  and 3 million you are still over budget by 22 million. Not even Mack is going to cover that if he reduces to 1 million for the year. This is without extending Floyd, who cannot play on the 5th year option, and extending Whitehair who we cannot afford to tag in 2020 and need to get locked up this season.

I think we saw the Bears one big multi million/year deal with Bobbie Massie.

It will be into the discount bin after that. Maybe if Amos' market falls apart he is back, but I doubt he gets less than 6 million/season on the open market, probably more than that.

But we will see in 1.5 months who's numbers are closer.

The market is set by the contracts that are signed whether good or bad. I cannot see a world where Fowler takes less money than Trent Murphy coming off an ACL. I would expect the Rams would sign him to a 5/season deal tomorrow.

Archived