End of Season Mock 2019

Madmike90

I will also be interested to see what we get for Howard.

I am not sure a 4th is a slam dunk for a guy coming off a mediocre year with only 1 cheap year left.

There are not as many teams as you may think that Howard is going to be traded to where he is an unquestioned starter or where he will even get a majority of picks. I am not sure the market will be as robust as we hope.

I would say a 4th is the ceiling of what the Bears might get.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Even if you reduce them to 5 million  and 3 million you are still over budget by 22 million. Not even Mack is going to cover that if he reduces to 1 million for the year. This is without extending Floyd, who cannot play on the 5th year option, and extending Whitehair who we cannot afford to tag in 2020 and need to get locked up this season.

I think we saw the Bears one big multi million/year deal with Bobbie Massie.

It will be into the discount bin after that. Maybe if Amos' market falls apart he is back, but I doubt he gets less than 6 million/season on the open market, probably more than that.

I still think we can manoeuvre the cap significantly and don't agree we need to get Whitehair's extension done this season...if we are going to compete we need to be extremely tight against the cap. 

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I still think we can manoeuvre the cap significantly and don't agree we need to get Whitehair's extension done this season...if we are going to compete we need to be extremely tight against the cap. 

We are going to be extremely tight to the cap.

The Bears need to add roughly 12 players just to fill out the top 51 for the offseason.

The volume of players alone will make things tight.

They can 100% maneuver the cap, but the biggest cap years I recent memory will be 2020, 2021, 2022, I am not super comfortable with dumping cap hit into those years.

10 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

True but when a better player is taken off the market it drives up the price for the mediocre player.  Taking less money to stay in Indy, got someone on the back end of the talent scale paid.

Correct. The free market drives up prices because teams have a more limited pool to invest their money. Once the extensions and tags are done guys will move up the available rankings.

Glowinski playing better than Cann means very little, because teams didn’t even have a chance to make an offer ton Glowinski.

If we're gonna pay both Mack and Floyd we're gonna need guys like Fitts and Irving or dirt cheap UFAs to produce as backups. 

We won't have the cap space to lock up others soon if we keep throwing $4-$5 mil deals at guys like Lynch.  He was needed before we got Mack but not after.  If we can keep our two top guys healthy cheap UFAs and/or guys on rookie or vet minimum deals and hungry will need to fill backup roles.

If we bring back Robbie Gould or sign another top vet PK there goes that $4-$5 mil anyway and what makes more sense, a PK who scores 120 + points a year or a $5 mil OLB who might get us 4.5 sacks and some pressures if we're lucky?  Hell, Fitts should be able to do that himself.

Now that we've dipped deep into the top end of the UFA pool we need to be keeping our own core guys here and developing depth via that draft, UDFA, lower level UFA, and players released by other teams who fit our schemes.  The heavy lifting has been done now.  JMHO

Archived