Sean Ryan to the Lions

Texansfan713

I have no real reason to expect that the Texans have some sort of a plan here since they already said they "planned" no coaching changes, but I certainly hope this one gets clarified after the Super Bowl (a Patriots poaching like WR's coach Chad O'Shea)?  Having young promising coaches like Ryan and Welker leave for lateral moves and exceptional strength and conditioning coach Luke Richesson leaving for "family" smacks of either personality conflicts with BOb or lack of opportunity for advancement.  Most maddening is that Mike Devlin and his nearly record setting level of incompetence and apparently TE's Coach Tim Kelly (who also assists on o-line) aka the 2 worst performing units on the team during O'Brien's tenure will make up the primary offensive brain trust. I'm holding out hope that there is some sort of wild card OC hiring coming, but nothing in BOb's history indicates he has any ability to accept his limitations and invite outside innovation for his genius level system of inside runs and QB freelancing on 3rd downs. If only we knew someone who had once saw Sean McVay walking thru an airport or something...

BTW - Sean Ryan has clearly learned that the best way to excel in your career is to follow someone who is terrible at their job.  George Godsey is the the gift that keeps giving for him.  My bet is that Ryan is not there for Stafford who I think will be traded in 2020, but to try to groom some middle rounder or project FA as a replacement as the Lions go full rebuild (again). 

10 hours ago, amazingandre said:

Word on the street is Kelly getting promoted to OC and bringing in TJ Yates as QB coach. If this happens I doubt I will pay for Sunday Ticket next season. Getting tired of this trash

Tim Kelly? Why? 

TJ Yates? Why?

I'm at least interested to see what Yates can do as a coach, but Kelly as OC is almost worse than O'Brien as OC.

This is several steps backwards...

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

He can’t possibly be a worse play caller than BOB. He can’t possibly. 

Promoting Kelly to OC doesn't necessarily mean O'Brien gives up playcalling.  Kubiak had Rick Dennison with the OC title but he still called plays with Dennison as more of a "trusted advisor."  O'Brien clearly sees himself as a Sean Payton, Doug Peterson, Andy Reid, Sean McVay level HC who's team needs his "genius" in the QBs ear and not the Dirk Koetter, Hue Jackson playcaller that he is on his bad days (aka vs. teams with winning records) and Jay Gruden, Adam Gase level HC playcaller on his best (vs. cupcakes).  My bet is that we get some token announcement saying Kelly is calling plays before a few bad losses where he fails to run up the middle enough on 1st down and O'Brien takes back over like he did with similarly underqualified TE's coach to OC George Godsey.  This guy is every bit as insecure as Kubiak was in not wanting anyone on his staff that presented a threat to take his job (which was handed to Wade Phillips who was finally forced on him when the parade of yes men cronies imploded 5 seasons in a row - Frank Bush says hi from his couch until somebody brings Jeff Fisher back). 

FWIW - I've tagged TJ Yates as a Kubiak clone since the day we drafted him.  Smart dude who knew what to do, but his noodle arm didn't let him do it (except vs. the Bengals). Dude should do a pretty good Sean Ryan impersonation with his ability to pick up Ivy League's offense on the fly, twice.  Speaking of the Ivy, I'd love to see us bring in Ryan Fitzpatrick as OC in waiting when he hangs up his cleats and a great first step would be to swap Weeden out for him this season as a refresher.  Would also like to see us take a late round flyer on a backup QB or a priority UDFA project.

Side note - Every time I want O'Brien fired, I try to envision who the uber conservative Texans would hire and Jeff Fisher screams Cal McNair hire.  NFL establishment guy, Houston coaching history, national anthem defender, bible banger, country music fan, defensive coach following 2 straight offensive, 10 seasons at 7-9 or 8-8, mustache aficionado.  Tell me I'm wrong...  Yay BOb!

PS - Yo Cal, you don't need to bring a single mustachioed rival like Fisher anywhere near your smokin hot wife!  (Fish was reportedly banging Bud Adams daughter back in the day for those who believe the rumor mill about his oddly timed firing from the Titans)

CAL_HANNA_MCNAIR_gtr7zb

2 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

Side note - Every time I want O'Brien fired, I try to envision who the uber conservative Texans would hire and Jeff Fisher screams Cal McNair hire.  NFL establishment guy, Houston coaching history, national anthem defender, bible banger, country music fan, defensive coach following 2 straight offensive, 10 seasons at 7-9 or 8-8, mustache aficionado.  Tell me I'm wrong...  Yay BOb!

PS - Yo Cal, you don't need to bring a single mustachioed rival like Fisher anywhere near your smokin hot wife!  (Fish was reportedly banging Bud Adams daughter back in the day for those who believe the rumor mill about his oddly timed firing from the Titans)

CAL_HANNA_MCNAIR_gtr7zb

the best that money can buy

Archived