Cheech's 1st ever mock offseason

Cheech

11 hours ago, Beast said:

True, but Pettine has also asked his OLB to stunt inside and bull rush too and blitz a DB for the edge, and he showed how he can use Wilkerson as both an interior DL and edge player

So I'm definitely thinking physical edge OR athletic DL that can play both inside and out.

As for your draft, 

Is Gary a DT or edge? I see him lining up at edge in game videos but usually listed as a DT. But he potential is that tweener type that could fit perfectly in Pettine scheme. 

Simmons, is very talented, but I've wondered if the video with his hands on a woman might hurt him... but the Packers do have their offensive coordinator from last year as their new QB coach, so it's possible that they might have some inside scoop on the guy.

I'm not sure Ferrell is gonna be there at #12, so you having him as an option at #30 blew my mind

Overall, I love the general feel, hitting needed areas and getting better and more physical on the lines, just wish there was better long term options at FS.

Yeah I'm thinking the Packers might go after Earl Thomas (and not get him, Dallas will) and be watching the top two FS in the draft, from Bama and Delaware?

Gary has said he wants to be an edge but I think he's more of a 3T.  At Michigan he played a lot of end early in the year but moved inside more later in the season after his shoulder injury.  I think he's got the quickness, explosion and technique to play on the edge but he's stiff without a lot of bend.  I'm a Gary fan because I think he's a guy you'll be able to move all over a front (I'm also a Michigan fan so there is some bias).  While I'm not sure I'd want him rushing from the outside full time he surely has the ability to do so on occasion. If he grades out athletically like I think he's going to I don't think he'll be there at 12. 

10 hours ago, jleisher said:

I agree, you can do your mock however you like.  IMO, what you posted is possible.  I did cross over into the Vikings forum and read up on Barr.  I was also on that bandwagon, but after reading what their own fans posted, I am thinking of passing on Barr.  I think it's time to walk away from CM, the only resign I do like is Breeland.  I most agree with Gopher Trace, I do prefer selecting one player with each round.  I also prefer that mocks are complete, not stopping at round 4 or 5 and skipping the last rounds.  Yeah, it's hard trying to come up with those lower picks, but it makes the mock more complete, IMO.  Please, don't take this as a rip against you, I like what you did.  I just wished you would have continued into the later rounds.  Thanks for you work!

No offense taken.  I don't know enough about late round players to even get started on rounds 5 - 7.  The best I would be able to do is look at a 7 round mock and go from there.  

6 hours ago, SSG said:

Gary has said he wants to be an edge but I think he's more of a 3T.  At Michigan he played a lot of end early in the year but moved inside more later in the season after his shoulder injury.  I think he's got the quickness, explosion and technique to play on the edge but he's stiff without a lot of bend.  I'm a Gary fan because I think he's a guy you'll be able to move all over a front (I'm also a Michigan fan so there is some bias).  While I'm not sure I'd want him rushing from the outside full time he surely has the ability to do so on occasion. If he grades out athletically like I think he's going to I don't think he'll be there at 12. 

Cullen Jenkins was one of my favorite Packers because of his ability to play on the edge on early downs and not look out of place, while he also slid inside on third down to provide that interior rush.  I think Pettine would do backflips for a guy with his ability.  

I think a lot could depend on how teams view ed Oliver as well.  Oliver could be another to drop out of the top 10.  I'm not as high on him yet.

10 hours ago, deathstar said:

Not sure that Gary is a first day pick. What does he do well? He can't bend and teams ran right at him.

See, this is what I see all over the place.  Either you view him as a top 5 lock or somewhere in the 40's.  There doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

I see high upside with positional versatility.  Others watch the film and are underwhelmed.

18 hours ago, Cheech said:

Cullen Jenkins was one of my favorite Packers because of his ability to play on the edge on early downs and not look out of place, while he also slid inside on third down to provide that interior rush.  I think Pettine would do backflips for a guy with his ability.  

I think a lot could depend on how teams view ed Oliver as well.  Oliver could be another to drop out of the top 10.  I'm not as high on him yet.

I think Gary is going to be an entirely differant caliper of athlete than Jenkins was.  I agree though, Jenkins versitility was great.  Without it, we likely don't win that Super Bowl in 2010.  

I'm not sure there is a great comparision out there for Gary.  If he is as strong or as quick as he reportedly tested at Michigan there won't be many comps.  Talking about a guy who's JJ Watt's size, with JJ Watt's type of athletism who runs faster than most LBs.  

Oliver is another freak athlete.  NFLcom puts out their list of College football's most freakish athletes every year and Oliver/ Gary were #1/ #2.  

17 hours ago, deathstar said:

Not sure that Gary is a first day pick. What does he do well? He can't bend and teams ran right at him.

How many Michigan games did you watch?  Teams ran right at him?  I don't think that's all that accurate.  He might not have the sexy sack numbers but he's an elite run defender who seen a double team the majority of the last 2 years.  Before his shoulder injury this year Michigan opponents were averaging just 86 yards rushing a game.  That would have been second best in the country behind MSU.

People can be down on Gary if they want but I see no chance he makes it out of the first round assuming he's healthy for the NFL's athletic testing.  He's going to grade out as one of the best overall athletes in this draft class.  

3 hours ago, SSG said:

How many Michigan games did you watch?  Teams ran right at him?  I don't think that's all that accurate.  He might not have the sexy sack numbers but he's an elite run defender who seen a double team the majority of the last 2 years.  Before his shoulder injury this year Michigan opponents were averaging just 86 yards rushing a game.  That would have been second best in the country behind MSU.

People can be down on Gary if they want but I see no chance he makes it out of the first round assuming he's healthy for the NFL's athletic testing.  He's going to grade out as one of the best overall athletes in this draft class.  

Probably not as many as you, but could you point me to some examples of him displaying elite run defense?

On 1/30/2019 at 8:17 PM, SSG said:

Do you think Hock is going to go before Fant?

Don't love it but I don't hate it either.  Not sure I love either Love or Higgy in the 4th.  I  LOVE Love's speed but I've got concerns about his ability as a receiver.  Loved watching Higgy for my squad in college but I'd prefer more of a receiving back at that spot.  None of our current RBs are all that natural of receivers.  

Also really want a quality WR added whether it's in the top 3 rounds of the draft or in UFA.  I have doubts that our offense is going to be more successful next year with less talent at WR.  

If the Hock you are referring to is the other TE from Iowa who declared he just might.  Some think he is the better of the 2.

Archived