Second Round WR - It’s Time

badgers0821

Okay.  So I'm all for this....grabbing a "toy" in the second round.  And....I think there will be good WR's available there.

Setting aside my admiration for the young kids on the roster, I like Marquise Brown best.  So will a lot of other teams, so I think he is gone.  My next favorite is Paris Campbell because he would bring some explosion to the offense and offers a different size profile than what we currently have there.

And....there should be a good 3-4 WR's taken before those guys.  I'm guessing that one of those top guys falls...and if so...that's some nice value.

About getting acclimated with Rodgers....Adams did it faster than most everyone.  By all accounts, Adams was a student of the game before he came to GB.  So....if looking at those WRs, find out which ones LOVE football.  Find out who took real collegiate classes and earned high GPAs.  In other words, find bright kids who love football, like "Vante did.  That's the one that Rodgers will trust earlier than later.  

Once again, if the value is there why not. History has shown that in the scheme MM ran, it took some time for WRs to get adjusted. 2018 was different because we didn't have the players in front of MVS and EQ to take the snaps, especially considering the injuries to Cobb and Allison, so they had to play.

I have no idea what a rookie WR in LaFleur's system will look like, but I think Pettis did a fine job late in the year in SF. Hard to say with the new scheme if it's as important for the WRs to have that kind of connection with 12 with all of the option routes they ran. 

But if we are sitting there in the 2nd and the top player available is one of Deebo Samuel or Parris Campbell, I'm not against it at all

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

When will people understand that Rodgers isn't suddenly going to decide to throw to a young WR simply because they're a 2nd round pick?

MVS and ESB were talented rookies. They are going to take the massive leaps from being graded as low end 3/4 wrs and become the greatest show on tundra... (Insert beer into my mouth)

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Okay.  So I'm all for this....grabbing a "toy" in the second round.  And....I think there will be good WR's available there.

Setting aside my admiration for the young kids on the roster, I like Marquise Brown best.  So will a lot of other teams, so I think he is gone.  My next favorite is Paris Campbell because he would bring some explosion to the offense and offers a different size profile than what we currently have there.

And....there should be a good 3-4 WR's taken before those guys.  I'm guessing that one of those top guys falls...and if so...that's some nice value.

About getting acclimated with Rodgers....Adams did it faster than most everyone.  By all accounts, Adams was a student of the game before he came to GB.  So....if looking at those WRs, find out which ones LOVE football.  Find out who took real collegiate classes and earned high GPAs.  In other words, find bright kids who love football, like "Vante did.  That's the one that Rodgers will trust earlier than later.  

As it stands today, I would guess that the order right now for WRs is DK Metcalf, Marquise Brown who both go top 15, Parris Campbell and Kelvin Harmon who both go in the 20s, and then a group of Samuel, Ridley, AJ Brown, and N'Keal Harry who go in that late 25-64 range

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Since when does a rookie contract last 1 year? Not advocating for a rookie WR early but this comment is irrelevant.

The notion that a 2nd round rookie WR is suddenly going to fix our issues.  I have no issues of drafting a WR in the second round with the intention of getting another stud WR to pair with Adams, but it seems the overwhelming thought is that a rookie WR is going to jump in and be that clear #2 WR for Rodgers.

5 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I'd argue we have seen enough from ESB/MVS to bring in another quality piece. A 2 time MVP's passer rating doesn't drop 30 points when targeting guys (dropped when not targeting Adams, Cobb, or Allison), and doesn't double up the league in throw aways for no reason.

I hope they develop. They have some nice measurables, but neither MVS or ESB should have been on the field so much last year and wouldn't have gotten run if it wasn't for injuries.

Again - I'd argue the exact opposite.  How can you take what they did/didn't do in MM's system and immediately make a judgement call when they will be playing in a very different offense?  

Assumptions here, but generally I'd argue that they will have to think less (learning fewer positions, plays, and making fewer pre- and post-snap adjustments based off of defensive alignment.)  A simplified offense could/should allow all three 2nd year players, plus Kumerow to play faster.  

18 minutes ago, Cheech said:

I wouldn't complain at all if we found a guy that has athleticism and can run a precise route. 

With that being said, I do think we first need to see the guys that we have in La Fleur's offense  before saying that it is a need.  

Don't like that risk.  We've only got a couple more seasons with AR12 in his prime.  If we wait and last year's rookies don't develop we're screwing ourselves for at least 1 and probably 2 more seasons.  It would likely force of to over pay to keep Allison, who's ceiling is as low as any starting WR in thee NFL given how awful of athlete he is (when compared to his peers). 

I  don't understand why some fans refuse to infuse high end talent into this offense.  Hitting on second round WRs is what has made this offense special over the last decade.  Now it's "Rodgers makes a lot of money, let's force him to extremely turn low end WR prospects like Dupre, Yancy, Kumerow, Allison, Moore, St Brown or MVS into high end NFL starters".  That's a either a couple players who weren't good enough to be drafted or prospects who were among the worst of their peers.  If that's the route we take, we'll never see another Super Bowl in Green Bay.  This isn't New England and we don't have Tom Brady.  Talent at pass catchers (WR, TE and RB) matters and there aren't many teams in the league who have less talent catching the ball than Green Bay. 

3 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Again - I'd argue the exact opposite.  How can you take what they did/didn't do in MM's system and immediately make a judgement call when they will be playing in a very different offense?  

Assumptions here, but generally I'd argue that they will have to think less (learning fewer positions, plays, and making fewer pre- and post-snap adjustments based off of defensive alignment.)  A simplified offense could/should allow all three 2nd year players, plus Kumerow to play faster.  

Cheech, that's like completely ignoring the defense last year once Capers left because it's a different system.  I don't like the wait and see method.  Talent is talent and we've got very little of it catching the ball.  Adams is the only above average pass catcher that we've got on the roster  (maybe Graham is we ignore how awful he was for 10 games last year).  

I remember when some people were all for running Devonte Adams out of town after his first couple of years.  I think letting MVS and ESB continue to develop is the way to go.  Besides a rookie wr isn't coming in and making an impact on the offense unless they are of the Megatron or Julio Jones caliber.  

9 minutes ago, Apex said:

I remember when some people were all for running Devonte Adams out of town after his first couple of years.  I think letting MVS and ESB continue to develop is the way to go.  Besides a rookie wr isn't coming in and making an impact on the offense unless they are of the Megatron or Julio Jones caliber.  

what

14 minutes ago, SSG said:

Don't like that risk.  We've only got a couple more seasons with AR12 in his prime.  If we wait and last year's rookies don't develop we're screwing ourselves for at least 1 and probably 2 more seasons.  It would likely force of to over pay to keep Allison, who's ceiling is as low as any starting WR in thee NFL given how awful of athlete he is (when compared to his peers). 

I  don't understand why some fans refuse to infuse high end talent into this offense.  Hitting on second round WRs is what has made this offense special over the last decade.  Now it's "Rodgers makes a lot of money, let's force him to extremely turn low end WR prospects like Dupre, Yancy, Kumerow, Allison, Moore, St Brown or MVS into high end NFL starters".  That's a either a couple players who weren't good enough to be drafted or prospects who were among the worst of their peers.  If that's the route we take, we'll never see another Super Bowl in Green Bay.  This isn't New England and we don't have Tom Brady.  Talent at pass catchers (WR, TE and RB) matters and there aren't many teams in the league who have less talent catching the ball than Green Bay. 

I'm working under the assumption that we're going to add a TE in the draft (at 30 or 44) that can stretch the field.  That, and I think I'm more optimistic about MVS and EQ than you likely are. 

I see MVS being used a lot like Brandin Cooks with his ability to stretch the field but also his ability to threaten the edges on end-arounds.  Kupp is a better receiver than EQ, but I do believe that EQ can play a similar role in the GB offense.  

52 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

When will people understand that Rodgers isn't suddenly going to decide to throw to a young WR simply because they're a 2nd round pick?

Lets look at that a different way shall we?

Perhaps with our new coach and coaching philosophy - he'll be able to impose on Mr. AR that he's one of 11 guys on offense and his putting training wheels on every rookie WR/TE is actually hurting the offense. Ya think? Perhaps? Maybe?

I see other teams throwing to rookie WRs/TEs and their offense doesnt seem to be falling off the face of the earth.

Why do with have to discount the first years of these guys contract - because AR doesnt "trust" them? Only in Green Bay is this remotely accepted.

Over the past thirty years, there have been 122 receivers drafted in the second round. 

MVS had more receptions than 86 of those second round receivers.

MVS had more receiving yards than 94 of those second round receivers. 

He had more yards per reception than 95 of those second round receivers. 

It's not time for ****.  We already got our second round receiver, except we did it in the 5th round of last year's draft, and you have to seriously stop freaking out about receiver. 

MVS did all that with the "inept offensive McCarthy" and a WR coach that Rodgers allegedly said flat out, "you don't know what you're doing." 

This receiver drama has got to stop. 

Archived