Interesting: pass game opens up the run game, analysis by people smarter than me

mistakey

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-secret-to-the-rams-blocking-success-isnt-the-linemen-its-sean-mcvay/

ive been waiting for 50k posts for someone to articulate this position better than i ever could that the play calling and a pass offense that ensures that the box isnt stacked will in fact open up the run game, as opposed to the other way around

I can believe it. Just look at college football. People don’t talk about it, but running backs have benefited from spread offenses more than anybody except QBs. There’s just been a talent drop off at that position thus the narrative that teams don’t run anymore.

51 minutes ago, mistakey said:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-secret-to-the-rams-blocking-success-isnt-the-linemen-its-sean-mcvay/

ive been waiting for 50k posts for someone to articulate this position better than i ever could that the play calling and a pass offense that ensures that the box isnt stacked will in fact open up the run game, as opposed to the other way around

Folks (myself included) have been saying this for years.

Thanks for proving a link to add some credibility to it.

I’ve always hated the narrative that teams don’t run the ball anymore.

Maybe the really bad teams don’t run it, but look at the final 4 teams. They could ALL run the ball effectively. If you want to just chuck it 50 times a game you get a Aaron Rodgers situation where he’s getting killed and his team sucks.

10 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’ve always hated the narrative that teams don’t run the ball anymore.

Maybe the really bad teams don’t run it, but look at the final 4 teams. They could ALL run the ball effectively. If you want to just chuck it 50 times a game you get a Aaron Rodgers situation where he’s getting killed and his team sucks.

Yeah you don’t have to be a ground and pound type team, but you need to be able to convert short yardage and goal line situations and keep defenses honest.

Archived