Positions your team always seems to be set at

Elky

7 hours ago, Forge said:

For the last 37 years, the 49ers have pretty much been set at the "most awesome fan ever" position (spoiler, it's me). 

As for what's actually on the field? Nada. Because of how bad the team has been for long chunks of time between 2000 and present, there's been at least a stretch of years where we were weak at every position. 

Id say we (the 49ers) have had pretty consistent kicking since we signed Joe Nedney. After that we have signed veteran after veteran and gotten a lot out of guys

I would add long snapping but our long snapper has tested positive for PEDs... twice!

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Id say we (the 49ers) have had pretty consistent kicking since we signed Joe Nedney. After that we have signed veteran after veteran and gotten a lot out of guys

I would add long snapping but our long snapper has tested positive for PEDs... twice!

That's actually not a bad call. Akers had that one subpar year, but yeah, for the most part, for the last decade or whatever, our kicker has been great...which is interesting considering SF. 

Falcons i would say have always been pretty solid at  RB, TE, WR, and MLB  for as long as i can remember. 

MLB - Jessie Tuggle, Keith Brooking, Paul Worrilow, Deion Jones Tommy Nobis, Fulton Kuykendall, Buddy Curry     Worrilow wasn't great but he was solid and the others are pro bowl talent.  We have been blessed at MLB for a long time.

RB - William Andrew, Gerald Riggs, Craig Ironhead Heyward, Jamaal Anderson,  Warrick Dunn, T.J. Duckett, Michael Turner, Quizz Rodgers, Steven Jackson, Devonta Freeman, Tevin Coleman
Never a big drop off at RB for us and most of them have been pro bowl quality as well since i've been alive.

TE -  Ken Wisenhunt,  O.J. Santiago,  Alge Crumpler, Tony Gonzalez, and Austin Hooper  Not a super long list but they lasted well and were very quality players.

WR - Andre Rison, Alfred Jenkins, Terrance Mathis, Tony Martin, Brian Finneran, Peerless Price, Ashley lelie, Tim Dwight, Michael Jenkins, Roddy White, Julio Jones,  Harry Douglas, Taylor Gabriel, Devin Hester, Mohhamad Sanu, Calvin Ridley.      I think at WR we have been strong and deep for a very long time with very few drop offs over the years.  Maybe a down year or 2 here and there but not many at all.

If it's about a position that has actually never seen a drop off, the Titans have went from Brad Hopkins to Michael Roos to Taylor Lewan at LT. There's other positions we've had pretty decent luck with(RB comes to mind, CB has generally been decent, at least in regards to having at least 1 good one) but they've had years of downtime. We've had 3 straight pro bowl/all-pro caliber players at LT though.

Center.    Minus one small break, we have had pretty consistent high quality centers for over 40 years ...

Mike Webster 1974 - 1988
Dermontti Dawson 1988-2000
Jeff Hartings 2001-2006
Maurkice Pouncey 2010-present

Linebacker used to be a position we were always set at, but that changed dramatically around 2010 or so when we forgot how to draft them (except for Shazier)

RB and WR we have been pretty decent at FOR THE MOST PART for a long time as well except maybe the 80s and a few other small breaks.

16 hours ago, ET80 said:

#1 WR. From Andre Johnson to DeAndre Hopkins (not much history to rely on).

Only year we didn't have a guy was 2002, when Jabar Gaffney was catching passes from David Carr.

I'll also list DE - Gary Walker was a Pro Bowl player the first few seasons, then Mario Williams had his run as an elite DE, then JJ Watt took it to another level with a few DPOY seasons. 

16 hours ago, jjab360 said:

The Rams have always had that one stud RB for about as long as I can remember. Gurley, SJ, Faulk, ED, etc.

I'm just glad we're not wasting Gurley's career like we did Steven Jackson's.

Add defensive line as well. The fearsome foursome I’d Deaconess Jones, Ervin Olsen, Lamar Lundy and Rosie Greer. The Jack Youngblood, Kevin Carter, Leonard Little, Robert Quinn and now with Aaron Donald.

Archived