Insane Mock With Trades That May Not Be So Crazy

Just Want A Title

I decided to put together a mock with a bunch of trades.  After thinking a lot about them, they may not be hyper-realistic but they aren't crazy either.

Cuts

TJ Lang

Glover Quin

Michael Roberts

LeGarrette Blount

Trades

Marvin Jones to the Cowboys for Pick 122 (4th round pick)—Gives the Cowboys a solid #2 WR.  Marvin Jones is great at sideline catches and other finesse stuff but to me he is an enigma who doesn’t quite maximize his abilities.  This lets us bring in WRs who can run a complete route tree

Pre-draft trade back sends the #8 pick to the Browns in exchange for Kevin Zeitler, #17, #49 and flipping 3rd round draft slots (we move up from 88 to 81).  Zeitler is an above average RG and becomes our starting RG on day 1.

A’Shawn Robinson to the Chargers for a 3rd round pick—He is great at stuffing the run and eating up blockers which makes him the ideal NT for their scheme.  We need more disruption and penetration.  He finished the season strong but his slow start is pretty concerning.

Free Agents:

I am assuming a we do a complete overhaul of our TEs

TE Nick Boyle—a 265Lb bocking TE who might catch a pass once in a while

TE CJ Uzomah—an all-purpose TE who caught 43 balls on a horrible Bengal offense

WR Tyrell Williams—6’4, 205lbs who caught 40 balls with a 15 yards per catch average last year.  Should be a good compliment to Kenny Golladay

RB Mike Davis—Seattle has too many running backs and will focus on signing Frank Clark

ILB CJ Mosely—A tough, smart pro-bowl caliber player who may be too expensive for the Ravens.  Jarrad Davis slides to OLB where he doesn’t have to think as much

CB Steven Nelson—Locks down our #2 CB position

FS Adrian Amos--An underrated player who will be a plug and play starter.  Plus we snag him from a division rival.

DT Rodney Gunter—A solid DT who will provide quality depth

OL Ryan Groy—Capable of backing up center and both guard positions

Draft

Rd 1—DT Dexter Lawrence:  Huge and moves really well for his size.  Disruptive in the running and passing game

Rd 2—DE Charles Omenihu:  A strong DE who will be able to set the edge from day 1.  He compares himself to Chandler Jones.  Can give us physical and disruptive play from the edge that we have been missing

Rd 2—WR Taylor Maclurin:  Adds good speed and athleticism to our WR corps

Rd 3—OLB D’Andre Walker:  At 6’3 245lbs, has good size along with solid college production.  Will be a good back-up and special teams player from Day 1

Rd 3—TE Josh Oliver:  A 6’5” 250lb TE who had good production in college.  He can develop behind two solid veterans

Rd 4—RB Elijah Holyfield:  Has good size and doesn’t have a lot of wear and tear on his body.  A good addition to our special teams and RB corps

Rd 4—OG/OT Oli Udoh:  6’5”, 327lbs with 35-inch arms, 10 inch hands and decent movement skills.  After playing his college ball at Elon he will need time to adjust but should develop into a quality OG or OT

Rd 5—OLB/DE Jamal Davis:  Has decent size (6'3", 235).  Will probably be a back-up/special-teamer for now

Thoughts?

Not sure the Browns bite on that deal.  I don't think they have any interest unless Greedy Williams is there at #8.  But in that case I keep my pick.   Marvin Jones has been productive.  Maybe with Bevell, he and Stafford can get on the same page.  He has the speed.  Why trade A'Shawn to sign a lesser FA?  He's still under his rookie contract and I think he and Snacks make a formidable team.  I like Steven Nelson at CB, everyone not so much.  Not sure your draft is reasonable.  Many of these player may not be there when you have us slotted to pick.  I'd rather pick at #8 and get a player that will make a big impact.  

The Browns need to shore up their LT and RT spots in the worst way.  The three best tackles in this draft are Jawaan Taylor, Andre Dillard and Greg Little.  OTs always rise before the draft and they may not want to risk having their preferred LT come of the board before they pick.  Houston needs OTs just as badly.  Green Bay could use OT help also.  Andre Dillard and Jawaan Taylor will probably rise along with Greg Little (assuming his character concerns are addressed.  After that there is a little bit of a drop-off, especially at LT.  That why I think Cleveland or Houston could be talked into a deal.  They also have Austin Corbett as a back-up guard and he is a Joel Bitonio clone.  

We may be signing Rodney Gunter but we are drafting Dexter Lawrence.  The combination of those moves makes that an upgrade.  Guys with the size and movement skills of Dexter Lawrence don't come along too often so he will be in demand.  Omenihu is already making it into some projections as a late first-rounder.  Assuming he has a good combine, he may continue to rise.

You make my point.  These OL won't rise that much up the draft board that the Browns will feel they need to jump 9 spots to get one of them. In A'Shawn's case, I still don't understand giving up a solid 2nd rnd pick who's productive (  Everyone needed to adjust to Patricia's defense) for a 3rd rnd pick and sign a guy who's got to come in and learn the same scheme that A'Shawn has already learned and performed pretty well at the end.  Makes no sense to start over like that.  I'm not totally sold on Dexter Lawrence.  He got schooled a couple times in the SB.  His stats are great against lesser competition.  I'm not sure on him.

Taylor is already in consideration to go between 5-15.  Little is already projected as a mid-first rounder.  Dillard is already rising after the Senior Bowl.  If they perform well at the combine, their rise will probably continue because QB's, LT's WR's DE's and CB's tend to rise before the draft due to the positions being viewed as critical to most teams.  If they think they are getting a 7-10 LT its a good move because they need to protect their franchise QB.  

Robinson was playing pretty well at the end of the year but he started out on the bench.  To me, some of the talk about buy-in could be related to that.  Robinson, in my opinion, is the quintessential 3-4 NT.  He is great against the run.  He has the size to eat up blockers.  However, he doesn't do a whole lot when it comes to collapsing the pocket or getting to the QB.  The Lions need a game-wrecker in the middle of the D-Line and Dexter Lawrence should be just that.  

Some of this ain't bad. I'm in favor of keeping Marvin, tho. At his best he's damn near being a #1. And he's 28, with 2-3 years left to be at his peak, which he just reached last year.

Who needs to sign Nick Boyle when you can just hold on to Toilolo?

This is the one year I'm not in favor of trading down. I want a Pro Bowler or better on defense at 8.

The other FA's look good, though I don't think the Lions are getting Mosley. Guys like that don't come to this team.

I think I like the trade back with the Browns the best out of all this. Hate alot of everything else.

I don't like the Marvin Jones move either, little cheap for a 4th rounder imo, and... His replacement will cost more than he does salary wise. 

From my perspective I don’t see why you chose certain moves.

Trading Jones for a 4th then spending a second on a WR. They may trade Jones but I think it would be for cap reasons not because of performance. 

Trading Robinson for a third then using a first on a DT?

Trading players that are very good for lessor assets then expending high draft picks to replace them just doesn’t seem the right approach to me. Especially with potential pro bowl caliber players available at positions of need. Getting pressure off the edge will help the DT get penetration.

The trade down doesn’t bother me however the combination of trading Robinson and drafting a DT is just a non starter for me.

Trading Marvin Jones makes sense because he is inconsistent and doesn't seem be be that tough.  How many routes over the middle do you see him run?  Plus, he tends to disappear for stretches.

Trading A'shawn Robinson is more about getting an up-the-field penetration and generating consistent pass-rush without blitzing.  Robinson is a big, tough run-stuffer but offers very little in terms of pass rush.  

I might point out that both of these players could be put into the "questionable buy-in" category.  If we are going to win a Super Bowl, we need guys who can win it on the field and in the locker room.

From what I have seen in games and the Senior Bowl, Charles Omenihu could give us the physical tone-setting play that we have been missing.  

3 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Trading Marvin Jones makes sense because he is inconsistent and doesn't seem be be that tough.  How many routes over the middle do you see him run?  Plus, he tends to disappear for stretches.

Trading A'shawn Robinson is more about getting an up-the-field penetration and generating consistent pass-rush without blitzing.  Robinson is a big, tough run-stuffer but offers very little in terms of pass rush.  

I might point out that both of these players could be put into the "questionable buy-in" category.  If we are going to win a Super Bowl, we need guys who can win it on the field and in the locker room.

From what I have seen in games and the Senior Bowl, Charles Omenihu could give us the physical tone-setting play that we have been missing.  

I understand I just have a different philosophy. From my perspective you’re moving good players for mid round picks only to use high round picks to replace them with prospects. That strategy may be okay if the team adopting that philosophy didn’t have as many holes in the lineup. It’s also more understandable if the Lions depth players had improved enough to become starters. It’s a buy high sell low philosophy.

Currently the Lions defence does a pretty good job at making the opposition one dimensional. Draft a top notch edge rusher which reduces the opponents ability to key on the interior and there will likely be more push in the middle. 

Jones didn’t put up his usual numbers this season but the Lions passing offence never clicked this year. He’s shown he has talent and fits. Robinson is also a good player that fits.

I just don’t think you mess with what works unless you have depth ready to step in. If you want inside pressure, draft a DT, trade for a DT or sign one in free agency. Don’t move Robinson until some level of competency can be demonstrated without him. There are players in this draft that can play interior or edge and taking one at number 8 is far less risky than trading your starters and trying to replace them. You’re also eliminating familiarity amongst the players to draft unproven players.

So you trade Robinson, draft Lawrence and he busts. You’ve used two important pieces to create another hole. 

As for questionable buy in. What’s that about? How have you come to that conclusion?

If they want to stop being the Lions of old they need to stop over-valuing their talent.  How many years have people been saying "if we just had this one more thing" or "this one player"? 

How many really good players have moved on through trade or free agency from the Patriots?  They are still winning championships. 

Standing pat with a team that is 6-10 that doesn't play with enough intensity or consistency shouldn't be an option.  If they want to stop being the Lions of old they need to stop over-valuing their talent.

Here is the real kicker:  After winning the Super Bowl again, they have two late second round picks.

Archived