Insane Mock With Trades That May Not Be So Crazy

Just Want A Title

48 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I understand I just have a different philosophy. From my perspective you’re moving good players for mid round picks only to use high round picks to replace them with prospects. That strategy may be okay if the team adopting that philosophy didn’t have as many holes in the lineup. It’s also more understandable if the Lions depth players had improved enough to become starters. It’s a buy high sell low philosophy.

Currently the Lions defence does a pretty good job at making the opposition one dimensional. Draft a top notch edge rusher which reduces the opponents ability to key on the interior and there will likely be more push in the middle. 

Jones didn’t put up his usual numbers this season but the Lions passing offence never clicked this year. He’s shown he has talent and fits. Robinson is also a good player that fits.

I just don’t think you mess with what works unless you have depth ready to step in. If you want inside pressure, draft a DT, trade for a DT or sign one in free agency. Don’t move Robinson until some level of competency can be demonstrated without him. There are players in this draft that can play interior or edge and taking one at number 8 is far less risky than trading your starters and trying to replace them. You’re also eliminating familiarity amongst the players to draft unproven players.

So you trade Robinson, draft Lawrence and he busts. You’ve used two important pieces to create another hole. 

As for questionable buy in. What’s that about? How have you come to that conclusion?

Agreed. If you're going to take this approach, those types of trades should be made after the draft and into the season for 2020 picks. It doesn't make a lot of sense to open up even more holes and then try to fill those with young guys with zero experience. The only way that I would look at trading Robinson prior to the draft is if we were to bring a Danny Shelton or Malcolm Brown. Both guys have familiarity with the scheme, however they are likely to cost more.

Jones is a proven commodity. We have holes at WR already and other needs - there's a lot of pressure to replace him and upgrade the position while addressing the other needs. I'd prefer to not try and fix what isn't broken. Golladay is also not proven. He has shown flashes and I'm optimistic but this isn't Julio Jones or Antonio Brown that we're talking about.

3 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Agreed. If you're going to take this approach, those types of trades should be made after the draft and into the season for 2020 picks. It doesn't make a lot of sense to open up even more holes and then try to fill those with young guys with zero experience. The only way that I would look at trading Robinson prior to the draft is if we were to bring a Danny Shelton or Malcolm Brown. Both guys have familiarity with the scheme, however they are likely to cost more.

Jones is a proven commodity. We have holes at WR already and other needs - there's a lot of pressure to replace him and upgrade the position while addressing the other needs. I'd prefer to not try and fix what isn't broken. Golladay is also not proven. He has shown flashes and I'm optimistic but this isn't Julio Jones or Antonio Brown that we're talking about.

How many playoff games have we won with Marvin Jones and A'Shawn Robinson?

3 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

How many playoff games have we won with Marvin Jones and A'Shawn Robinson?

Sorry but this is as irrelevant a statement as you could make.

We haven’t won a playoff game with anyone so let’s trade Stafford, Slay. Heck trade the whole team and restock with those third and fourth round picks.

This isn’t the Patriots! 

The Lions do not have the depth to trade starters for draft picks.

18 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Sorry but this is as irrelevant a statement as you could make.

We haven’t won a playoff game with anyone so let’s trade Stafford, Slay. Heck trade the whole team and restock with those third and fourth round picks.

This isn’t the Patriots! 

The Lions do not have the depth to trade starters for draft picks.

We also don't have Belichek, the greatest football mind there ever was.  Not anyone can let Vince Wilfork walk and replace with a no name and get similar production.  Or Wes Welker, or Randy Moss, or Curtis Martin or Troy Brown.......

If the Patriots were the norm, everyone would be doing it, but they are special because they have a coach who gets exactly what he needs and gameplans perfectly.  Thats why I am skeptical of Patricia and Quinn because they don't have Belichecks vision.  He has won with multiple different QBs, coordinators, and defensive stars. 

I don't think it's a matter of over valuing talent.  You seem to want to get rid of productive players to get a couple more draft picks.  I understand that we don't want to be the same old Lions, but trading away good, young, productive players for lower round draft picks doesn't  seem as if we're valuing them enough.  Why would you give up a  young, productive player like A'Shawn for a 3rd rnd pick.  Can't say that makes much sense.  Besides you can move Da'Shawn  Hand inside to give you more push inside.  You don't have to move back to get the inside pass rush you're looking for, and by adding a stud DE at #8, should give you the kind of pass rush that you need.  You've got playmakers on this team and adding a few more in this draft will get you closer to the type of team we all want.

After listening to 97.1 the Ticket's Karsh & Anderson broadcast this morning, trading back doesn't sound so crazy.  Apparently, some Lions insider ( I don't remember his name) put together some interesting scenarios, depending on how the early selections fall.  He apparently contacted the insiders from the other teams and got what they believe their team's likely 1stRnd picks would be.  From that he formulated some trade scenarios that are intriguing.  Karsh & Anderson did mention that the rumor is the Lions are willing to trade back from #8, so you may have something there  They also believed that would get their edge rusher in FAgency.  Still don't  like getting rid of A'Shawn and Marvin Jones. trading back in the 1st rnd seems a possibility.  

Archived