Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
WindyCity

Howard and Kwiatkoski get pay bump

Recommended Posts

Jordan Howard & Nick Kwiatkoski met the requirements of the Proven Performance Escalator for 3rd rd & later draft picks. 2019 base salaries will now be equivalent to the original round RFA tender in 2019 (projected $2,035,000). Increase of $1,315,000 each

overthecap.com/proven-perform…


Long story short, Bears lost 2.6 million in cap space and Howard is not 3x as expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Requirements must be pretty minimal if Kwiatowski Sp? made it.  He hasn't played much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Damikeeeee said:

I'm glad they got a bump. They earned it. It's not a lot to the cap. 

It is 20% of the Bears available cap pre cuts and 12.5% after cuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Requirements must be pretty minimal if Kwiatowski Sp? made it.  He hasn't played much.

Maybe it went on TD catches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is based on playing 35% of the previous 3 years snaps.

Those starts he made in the Fox era is what put him over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Damikeeeee said:

I'm glad they got a bump. They earned it. It's not a lot to the cap. 

In what way do you believe Kwiatkoski earned it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

In what way do you believe Kwiatkoski earned it?

Yeah, Howard I can see but Kwia? WTF?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

It is based on playing 35% of the previous 3 years snaps.

Those starts he made in the Fox era is what put him over.

LOL.  Fox really had some crappy talent to work with.

Pace really stuck it to him.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

In what way do you believe Kwiatkoski earned it?

Via his playing time as per the CBA.

"The PPE is a fourth-year salary escalator that can be earned by participating in either 35% of a team’s offensive or defensive snaps in two of his first three seasons, or in 35% of all offensive or defensive snaps over his entire first three years," says the site. "Players eligible for the PPE will see their fourth year base salary escalate to the lowest restricted free agent (RFA) tender for that season."

The site notes that Kwiatkoski hit that mark by playing in 42.6 percent of snaps as a rookie in 2016 and 36.1 percent of snaps in 2017. He dropped to just 10.6 percent of snaps during the 2018 season. Howard played 64.8 percent of snaps as a rookie before playing 58.4 percent in his second season. Last year, Howard played in 58.1 percent of the team's snaps. Kwiatkoski was taken in the fourth round of the 2016 NFL Draft and Howard was taken in the fifth round of that year's draft.

The cap is rising and with it so are it's limits.  The minimum RFA tender in 2013 was $1 .323 mil.  Since then it has increased to $1.907 mil in 2018 and $2.035 mil estimated for 2019.  Kwiatkoski is an excellent ST guy but $2 mil is a lot to pay for that and a back up ILB when you're short on cap space.

Given Howard's age (24) and his production $2 mil isn't ridiculous but I do think Pace will shop him a bit to see if he can get a second day pick for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, WindyCity said:

It is 20% of the Bears available cap pre cuts and 12.5% after cuts.

We're not tight on cap cause we gave Kwik a less then a mil bump. When his number was called he played ok for a guy who is limited in range and coverage ability. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:35 AM, soulman said:

Via his playing time as per the CBA.

"The PPE is a fourth-year salary escalator that can be earned by participating in either 35% of a team’s offensive or defensive snaps in two of his first three seasons, or in 35% of all offensive or defensive snaps over his entire first three years," says the site. "Players eligible for the PPE will see their fourth year base salary escalate to the lowest restricted free agent (RFA) tender for that season."

The site notes that Kwiatkoski hit that mark by playing in 42.6 percent of snaps as a rookie in 2016 and 36.1 percent of snaps in 2017. He dropped to just 10.6 percent of snaps during the 2018 season. Howard played 64.8 percent of snaps as a rookie before playing 58.4 percent in his second season. Last year, Howard played in 58.1 percent of the team's snaps. Kwiatkoski was taken in the fourth round of the 2016 NFL Draft and Howard was taken in the fifth round of that year's draft.

The cap is rising and with it so are it's limits.  The minimum RFA tender in 2013 was $1 .323 mil.  Since then it has increased to $1.907 mil in 2018 and $2.035 mil estimated for 2019.  Kwiatkoski is an excellent ST guy but $2 mil is a lot to pay for that and a back up ILB when you're short on cap space.

Given Howard's age (24) and his production $2 mil isn't ridiculous but I do think Pace will shop him a bit to see if he can get a second day pick for him.

I know that he technically earned it by the CBA rules but let's not act like Kwiatkoski truly earned it. For me, earning it means you contributed to the team in a positive way and it was very noticeable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, beardown3231 said:

I know that he technically earned it by the CBA rules but let's not act like Kwiatkoski truly earned it. For me, earning it means you contributed to the team in a positive way and it was very noticeable.

 

Well he was one of the better STeam coverage guys and prior to Smith's arrival he had some nice games at ILB with some sacks and hits.  Not bad stats for a backup.  His main problem is his lack of speed and range makes him vulnerable in coverage in our defense but as an in the box banger he's pretty damn good.  He may be better off in another defense though.

But with the drafting of Iggy I could also see him possibly being released and replaced with a guy with more speed and range playing for less money.  I think it all depends on how badly Pace needs cap space.  But you don't want to lose good ST guys either.  IMHO he's no more or less effective than backups like McManis and Bellamy who are also core ST guys.

 

Defense & Fumbles

  • * Selected to Pro Bowl, + First-Team All-Pro
  • Share & more
    •  
  Games Def Interceptions Fumbles   Tackles    
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Comb Solo Ast TFL QBHits Sfty AV
Career       41 14 0 0 0 0 4 3 0 0 0 0 3.0 102 78 24 5 5   10
2016 23 CHI lb 44 14 7 0 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 0 0 1.0 42 32 10 3 1   4
2017 24 CHI lb 44 11 6 0 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 0 0 2.0 45 34 11 2 3   4
2018 25 CHI lb 44 16 1           1 0 0 0 0   15 12 3 0 1   2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×