Bears Current Cap Situation

WindyCity

The Bears currently have 14-16 million in cap space, depending on the cap which is estimated between 189-191 million.

Current Debits

1. Howard and Kwiatkoski earned playing time bonues for 1.3 million each, total -2.6.

2. Bobbie Massie's deal has not been announced, but lets assume it has a 5 million dollar year 1 cap hit, -5.

3. The draft class the Bears are currently on the hook for is 3.5 million total, -2.75 million.

4. Most teams keep at least 3 million in reserve for in season emergencies and signings. -3.

Total Debits: 13.4 million

Credits

1. Cutting Parkey will cost 5.1 million an additional 1.1 million cap hit from what he was suppose to count. Post June 1st cut allows you to split the dead money so he will actually be a 1.4 cap savings.

2. Sims, 6 million.

3. Acho, 2 million.

Total Current Credits: 9.4 million

14-16 million
-13.4 Debits
+9.4

10-12 in available cap space. Adjust your free agency expectations accordingly.

The only guys that count against the salary cap for the offseason are your top 51 guys on the salary chart.

Guys who make less than a 7th round pick most of the time do not count against the salary cap.

Currently every single player on the Bears roster will count against the cap because they only have 51 guys under contract right now heading into free agency and the draft. 52 with Massie.

The Bears need to sign about 13 veteran players that will push the bottom guys off the top 51. When they do that they will get the money from those guys coming back onto the functional cap.

46 veterans
5 draft picks

16 Past UDFA, CFL signings, PR guys, Super Minimum Players [less than 4 year min]
23 UDFA

The Bears veteran signings and draft picks will push about 8.7 million off of the books as guys like Tolliver and Gentry will be on the team but not count against the cap.

The NFL brought in the Vet Minimum Benefit deal a few years ago to help veteran players who are at the bottom of the roster.

Essentially as long as they do not get any bonus money amounting to more than 80k they can get paid their vet minimum 1 year deal, but only count as if they were a 2nd round rookie.

Bryan Witzmann

4 year vet minimum: 790k, this is what he gets in cash.
2 year vet minimum: 550k, this is what he counts for the Bears.

Essentially you save 240k on the salary cap, but he still gets the minimum he has earned.

Nice work, Windy... this tells me that Robbie Gould is not going to happen for us and, really, it's in our best interest to sign Kareem Hunt on a cheap deal and, as @Superman(DH23) alluded to, trade or cut Howard.

This also tells me that we will need to sign a cheap RB in FA or draft someone.

The market we really need to hit is the released veteran players. Not free agents, but guys who are cap casualties of their current teams. $0 that are spent there count against comp picks.

Also, the pick swap trades that happen with veteran players could be a good market for the Bears. A team wants to dump a disappointing draft pick so you swap 5th round picks and pick up a player. That also counts $0 dollars against the comp pick math.

Just now, G08 said:

Nice work, Windy... this tells me that Robbie Gould is not going to happen for us and, really, it's in our best interest to sign Kareem Hunt on a cheap deal and, as @Superman(DH23) alluded to, trade or cut Howard.

This also tells me that we will need to sign a cheap RB in FA or draft someone.

I think they can afford Robbie if they want to.

It is just more than likely going to mean a hard no to Amos and Callahan, it is probably a no to those guys anyway.

Hunt would be a very smart signing. He is an exceptional player at a uniquely small price.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

If it's me, I let Amos walk and draft a DB in round 3 (haven't studied DBs yet so I don't have any names handy). Let the rookie and Bush battle for the right to start opposite Eddie Jackson.

I think DB in the 3rd round makes the most sense because I think Amos and Callahan will both walk when they see the money that is out there.

In addition Prince is gone in 2020, they can't pay him 9 million.

If Kevin Tolliver wanted to become a really legit player while making 495k that would be very nice.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I think they can afford Robbie if they want to.

It is just more than likely going to mean a hard no to Amos and Callahan, it is probably a no to those guys anyway.

Hunt would be a very smart signing. He is an exceptional player at a uniquely small price.

If you look a little deeper into the cap, especially going into 2020, you can make these moves and free up a ton of space:

Robinson for a $2M cap hit frees up $15M

Amukamara for a $1M cap hit frees up $9M

Long for a $1.5M cap hit frees up $9.6M

I have to think that we will be looking at CB/OL high in the draft.

Just now, G08 said:

If you look a little deeper into the cap, especially going into 2020, you can make these moves and free up a ton of space:

Robinson for a $2M cap hit frees up $15M

Amukamara for a $1M cap hit frees up $9M

Long for a $1.5M cap hit frees up $9.6M

I have to think that we will be looking at CB/OL high in the draft.

I doubt they do anything with Robinson if he continues on his current path.

The 2 bolded guys are probably gone.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think DB in the 3rd round makes the most sense because I think Amos and Callahan will both walk when they see the money that is out there.

In addition Prince is gone in 2020, they can't pay him 9 million.

If Kevin Tolliver wanted to become a really legit player while making 495k that would be very nice.

Lol you beat me to it

The great part is that Pagano is a hell of an evaluator when it comes to defensive backs so I want him to put his hands on this thing.

So you sign Hunt, keep Howard around, and draft/develop a corner to take over for Amukamara and then what? I heard Coward say that he was getting reps in practice at T and OG so maybe he's the plan to take over for long at RG?

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I doubt they do anything with Robinson if he continues on his current path.

The 2 bolded guys are probably gone.

I think Robinson needs to have a big year in 2019 for us to justify keeping him around. This offense craves speed and while I personally LOVE Robinson's skill set, I want to see him take another step in his recovery next season and see if he can truly be a #1 WR.

Archived