Bears Current Cap Situation

WindyCity

2 hours ago, soulman said:

Just a quick scan of those top contract along with Kyle Long shows there is the possibility of gaining some additional cap space now if Pace and Laine feel they need it.  Between Mack, ARob, and Long I think we could easily pick up another $10 mil via restructuring those deals a bit.  Fuller is probably not on we want to touch though.

With other key players due for extensions next year it will be interesting to see just how Pace and Laine handle the challenge of keeping their core intact. I think it goes without saying that we may lose one or two and that may start with Amos or Callahan or both.  But if they're releasing Sims now does it also mean another signing is near?

I started a thread a few weeks ago about where we can create cap space by converting base salaries on our big contracts for core players.

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/16203-why-i’m-not-sweating-cap-space/

Plenty of room could be made. There is future implication to that and we can’t just ignore that, but at the same time I don’t want to be the team that doesn’t get a player we think may put us over the top because we are worried about the potential financial implications 3+ years down the road. So don’t go nuts trying to add every player out there, but if bringing in a RB or SS or whatever needs a bit more cap space than we currently have then do what needs to be done. It’s not like we HAVE to convert Mack’s entire 2019 base to a signing bonus if we look to dip into future funds. We can certainly do so with just a smaller portion of it too. Converting $3-4M of it instead of all of it to a signing bonus has basically no impactful future cap implication at all and might be enough to add a good player who makes a difference in 2019. 

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Don’t touch Long’s deal.

He won’t agree to a straight pay cut and moving money back does nothing to help future cap issues.

Play him, Hope he stays healthy, cut or trade him in 2020.

That would typically be my approach as well however I'm not sure I can see a request for a straight pay cut unless they are willing to release him.

Lacking that they have no leverage.  But they might think about asking to convert some of his salary to per game roster bonuses.

Based on the number of games he's missed the past three years that may allow them to move some of his cap hit to 2020 under the rules for unlikely to be earned bonus money.

But anyway you slice it it's almost and insult to ask him to do that based on injuries his own teammates caused.  So I dunno about any of it.

https://overthecap.com/proven-performance-escalator/

I was completely unaware this was a thing, probably because our recent cap situation has never been tight at all, but it’s taking the combined 2019 cap hits for Howard and Kwiatkowski from a combined $1.3M to about $4M. That’s... a lot. 

Given that Kwiatkowski is a limited depth player and Howard may be headed toward the bottom of the depth chart I wonder if it places either on the potential cut list, not so much right out of the gate for Howard at least since he’s a starter at least for now, but after a presumptive replacement is added.

Cutting Howard would save $2M against the 2019 cap with only $62,007 in dead cap left behind. If we were to sign a replacement like Tevin Coleman for instance in FA if there is a corresponding move in releasing Howard the 2019 salary would be significantly offset. 

Looking at last year’s top UFA RB contracts for RB in AAV (McKinnon and D. Lewis), cutting Howard after signing his replacement we’d be looking at a net 2019 cap addition of only $4.5M/$2.3M over where we are right now. More importantly, if we made such an add along the lines of Lewis’ contract, his deal has an out for just $1.6M after year 1, so adding a FA and adding another in the draft gives us the potential option to upgrade now with limited future cost to adding the true long term upgrade via the draft on a minimum deal for 2020-21 should the FA underwhelm or the draft pick be a great get.

The primary goal has to be winning the Super Bowl at the end of the 2019 season. Looking at our roster at the end of last year, if we replace Amos and Callahan with either the incumbents we already have or young players or draft picks that outplay them we will still in all likelihood have a top 5, difference making defense, but replacing Howard with an explosive and diverse primary runner can take an average offense and move it into the top quarter of the league which IMO gives us a better chance to win the Super Bowl. I want more of a sure thing in that regard than JUST a mid-round draft pick.

And really, if we’re willing to dip into future years this year using a restructure of just Mack’s contract (thus reserving other restructure options for future years as other needs arise) we can add on the other side of the ball too. 

35 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The problem with even cutting Kwiatowski is that we don’t have the picks to replace him.

Cuting Kwit and replacing him with a 5th round pick saves you 1.5 million.

Replacing him with a vet saves you less.

Releasing him definitely makes less sense than Howard (after a FA signing). 

I worked up a potential extension to Allen Robinson’s contract that would save us a bunch against the 2019 cap without a disastrous hit at the end. 

Current Remaining Contract: 2 years, $25.8M (total adjusted for signing bonus on cap hit but already paid out)

2019: $9.9M base ($7.2M guarantees on 3/15), $2M signing bonus, $3M roster (fully guaranteed) Cap hit $15.0M

2020: $10.9M base (non guaranteed), $2M signing bonus, $2M roster bonus (non-guaranteed), Cap hit 15.0M

Proposed Extension: Add 2 years, $31M to existing deal

-Convert $8M of existing 2019 base into a signing bonus 

-Add $9M guarantee to existing 2020 base salary 

-Delete 2020 roster bonus (not guaranteed anyway)

New signing bonus cap hit amortization ($4M remaining SB + $8M new SB = $12M total bonus amortized over 4 remaining years = $3M per year

Updated Contract Details 

2019 $1.9M base, $3M signing bonus, $3M existing roster bonus = Cap hit $7.9M 

2020 $10.9M base (9M guaranteed), $3M signing bonus = Cap hit $13.9M 

2021 $7M base, $3M signing bonus, $5M roster bonus due prior to the start of FA = Cap hit $15M (dead cap to cut before bonus due = $6M, with $9M savings)

2022 $12M base, $3M signing bonus, $5M roster bonus due prior to the start of FA = Cap hit $20M (dead cap to cut before bonus due = $3M, with $17M savings)

TOTAL: 4 years, $56.8M 

Bears benefit: $7.1M in 2019 cap relief would be HUGE and may allow us to address needs or extend current players while not having to restructure Mack. Also modest $1.1M relief in 2020 from current scheduled cap hit. Maintain control of a prime core player for 2 additional years (1 realistically before 2022 balloon cap hit) at current market rate (not 2021 market rate) with reasonable outs. 

Robinson benefit: Current deal has no guarantees beyond 2019; $9M new base guarantee for 2020 essentially guarantees the remainder of his existing contract ($21.8M of $25.8M remaining on 2 years of existing deal), and provides virtual assurance of either top tier pay (if we pick up his option) or UFA (if we don’t) in 2021 in his age 28 season in a year he wasn’t previously under contract at all. Structure for forced release or renegotiation in 2022 at his age 29 season due to $20M cap hit, and if he’s released and hits FA then and is healthy he should still net another big contract with significant guarantees.

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I worked up a potential extension to Allen Robinson’s contract that would save us a bunch against the 2019 cap without a disastrous hit at the end. 

Current Remaining Contract: 2 years, $25.8M (total adjusted for signing bonus on cap hit but already paid out)

2019: $9.9M base ($7.2M guarantees on 3/15), $2M signing bonus, $3M roster (fully guaranteed) Cap hit $15.0M

2020: $10.9M base (non guaranteed), $2M signing bonus, $2M roster bonus (non-guaranteed), Cap hit 15.0M

Proposed Extension: Add 2 years, $31M to existing deal

-Convert $8M of existing 2019 base into a signing bonus 

-Add $9M guarantee to existing 2020 base salary 

-Delete 2020 roster bonus (not guaranteed anyway)

New signing bonus cap hit amortization ($4M remaining SB + $8M new SB = $12M total bonus amortized over 4 remaining years = $3M per year

Updated Contract Details 

2019 $1.9M base, $3M signing bonus, $3M existing roster bonus = Cap hit $7.9M 

2020 $10.9M base (9M guaranteed), $3M signing bonus = Cap hit $13.9M 

2021 $7M base, $3M signing bonus, $5M roster bonus due prior to the start of FA = Cap hit $15M (dead cap to cut before bonus due = $6M, with $9M savings)

2022 $12M base, $3M signing bonus, $5M roster bonus due prior to the start of FA = Cap hit $20M (dead cap to cut before bonus due = $3M, with $17M savings)

TOTAL: 4 years, $56.8M 

Bears benefit: $7.1M in 2019 cap relief would be HUGE and may allow us to address needs or extend current players while not having to restructure Mack. Also modest $1.1M relief in 2020 from current scheduled cap hit. Maintain control of a prime core player for 2 additional years (1 realistically before 2022 balloon cap hit) at current market rate (not 2021 market rate) with reasonable outs. 

Robinson benefit: Current deal has no guarantees beyond 2019; $9M new base guarantee for 2020 essentially guarantees the remainder of his existing contract ($21.8M of $25.8M remaining on 2 years of existing deal), and provides virtual assurance of either top tier pay (if we pick up his option) or UFA (if we don’t) in 2021 in his age 28 season in a year he wasn’t previously under contract at all. Structure for forced release or renegotiation in 2022 at his age 29 season due to $20M cap hit, and if he’s released and hits FA then and is healthy he should still net another big contract with significant guarantees.

That's an interesting solution to tight cap.  Who knows what Pace is thinking though.  

Either way I am hoping and think it very possible Robinson has a big year in 2019.  Been saying it since he was a FA.  I thought he would be okay in 2018 and real good in 2019 wherever he went.  I think a lot of people forget that this guy is still young and very talented at his best.  I was happy Bears signed him.  

I was really concerned, along with a lot of people here, that we were going to go with Robinson and Meredith as our top WR options in 2018.  Two guys coming off big injuries that would be limited in 2018.

10 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

Plus he's still only 25, throwing on a coupe years to the end of his deal would still keep him in a bears uniform within his 30s

If he out plays his contract though don't expect him to be happy and a non problem.  That almost never happens with WRs.  Usually best to keep them on shorter deals you can get out of if they under perform and tag them one year if they over perform while drafting a replacement.

My guess is they gave him a 2 year extension for like 8 million all guaranteed.

His deal then would become 5 years 32 million/8 guaranteed [6.5 average]

He pockets 8 million in cash plus his salary this season and the Bears can break it down as

4-5-6-8-9, where he only plays the next 3 seasons and the 8 and 9 disappear.

17 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

My guess is they gave him a 2 year extension for like 8 million all guaranteed.

His deal then would become 5 years 32 million/8 guaranteed [6.5 average]

He pockets 8 million in cash plus his salary this season and the Bears can break it down as

4-5-6-8-9, where he only plays the next 3 seasons and the 8 and 9 disappear.

If we get an xtra 4-5M that would be great.

Archived