Bears Current Cap Situation

WindyCity

It was less a debate as to whether we should or shouldn't sign him than a simple follow up to what malagabears posted about Amos' desire for a top five contract.  What I wanted to show was just how broad a swatch that cuts money wise when we go from Jones' $35 mil gtd deal to Hyde's $14 mil gtd deal and those are the top five SS contracts based on guaranteed money and total dollars.  Just data to consider.

The FA market has quite a few SS options this year so who knows how other teams may value him but I think it's safe to say we're probably looking at a deal somewhere in the neighborhood of those Stewart and Hyde received if we plan at all to compete with other offers.  Maybe the simplest thing would be to make an offer and if it's turned down let Amos shop himself and ask for an opportunity to match it.  JMHO

Unlike our more recent past this is now a team that can compete for a championship and the opportunity to play for a winner and for a ring makes us a more desirable location for many FAs especially our own.  So a hometown discount isn't entirely out of the question either.

OK, based on spotrac we have 10.8M with the top 51 contracts including draft pool. Long's restructure is not yet factored in and that is 2.9M. That makes available CAP more or less 13.7M. If we cut Acho that is another 2.3 which takes us up to 16M and enough for either Amos or Callahan depending on the structure.

5 hours ago, malagabears said:

OK, based on spotrac we have 10.8M with the top 51 contracts including draft pool. Long's restructure is not yet factored in and that is 2.9M. That makes available CAP more or less 13.7M. If we cut Acho that is another 2.3 which takes us up to 16M and enough for either Amos or Callahan depending on the structure.

I'm gonna avoid getting into whatever rumors are abounding about whose in play where.  It's not that they may not have some truth to them but it's more like old news.  We already know both Amos and Callahan will likely be in play if we don't sign them and we also have a rough idea of what it'll take to do it.

In ten days Free Agency begins so we'll know soon enough whether or not Pace has been successful with whatever negotiations he's had with them.

IMHO it's more likely he hasn't drawn any hard lines money wise that would make it easier for other to beat.  The smarter move would be to let them take some offers and then decide whether or not he can match or better them.  That can begin on March 11th two days prior to the start of FA.

I think we may have a little bit of an advantage if playing for a ring mean anything to either of them but it's not a huge advantage.  If someone will pay far more than he will IMHO they'll be gone quickly.

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Extend Daniel

Have a Mack re-worked deal in place if you need it.

That would be about 11 million in emmegency money if they need it.

Extending Trevathan or Robinson are also realistic options to create chunks of cap space. 

The Bears have about 16 million in cap space. They will get about 8 million more as they sign guys and push guys off the top 51 table.

I think that is enough to be competitive for both Callahan and Amos, realistically getting 1 of them back.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

The Bears have about 16 million in cap space. They will get about 8 million more as they sign guys and push guys off the top 51 table.

I think that is enough to be competitive for both Callahan and Amos, realistically getting 1 of them back.

They can sign one.  Question is do they want to at market price.  Amos skill set is not rare, Bush is almost as good and several draft rookies may be more talented.   Not like they don't want him, but they don't want to over pay for him either.   Callahan is a player, but he is injury prone.

If you told me we get a likely 16+ game Callahan I say sign him yesterday and Bears probably already would have.  Signing Callahan is a gamble on his future health more so than that applies to every player.  

It all likely depends on what market price for each turns out to be.  Fuller was a little more expensive than they expected I think and may have played that differently in hindsight as they always planned to bring him back.  

I think conversely they are more in wait and see on Amos and Callahan and could go either way.  They aren't committed like they were to Fuller.

I agree, the Bears do have some deal that can be extended or restructured if needed.

I think by signing younger FAs over the past few years we're in a situation where we can extend a couple if it helps.  Trevathan is one of them and I think ARob is another.  Even less than fully recovered from his surgery ARob has proven he's gonna be a go to guy for Mitch and Smith and Trevathan are like having Briggs and Urlacher back again.  They work well together and it would be nice to keep it that way for as long as possible.

Mack is an obvious one and they seem sold on Daniel so we might squeeze another $2 mil out there with an extension.  It's gonna be uncovering some cap $1 and $2 mil at a time because there aren't any big contracts we can dump.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

They can sign one.  Question is do they want to at market price.  Amos skill set is not rare

Yep..  I can see us bringing Amos back,   or not 

Amos'  "market value" # may be better spent elsewhere .. Callahan is a bit brittle, had a career yr that will not likely be duplicated; his "market value" # will almost assuredly be better spent elsewhere ..  esp with a new DC

21 minutes ago, soulman said:

I agree, the Bears do have some deal that can be extended or restructured if needed.

Trevathan is one of them and I think ARob is another.  Even less than fully recovered from his surgery ARob has proven he's gonna be a go to guy for Mitch 

Smith and Trevathan work we'll together 

Strongly agree

37 minutes ago, soulman said:

I think by signing younger FAs over the past few years we're in a situation where we can extend a couple if it helps.  Trevathan is one of them and I think ARob is another.  Even less than fully recovered from his surgery ARob has proven he's gonna be a go to guy for Mitch and Smith and Trevathan are like having Briggs and Urlacher back again.  They work we'll together and it would be nice to keep it that way for as long as possible.

Mack is an obvious one and they seem sold on Daniel so we might squeeze another $2 mil out there with an extension.  It's gonna be uncovering some cap $1 and $2 mil at a time because there aren't any big contracts we can dump.

Trevathan is a guy everyone expects to leave that I would like to see back.  I think he is an underrated ILB.  

I'd rather have Trevathan back than Amos or Callahan even though ILB is more of a replaceable position traditionally. 

38 minutes ago, soulman said:

I think by signing younger FAs over the past few years we're in a situation where we can extend a couple if it helps.  Trevathan is one of them and I think ARob is another.  Even less than fully recovered from his surgery ARob has proven he's gonna be a go to guy for Mitch and Smith and Trevathan are like having Briggs and Urlacher back again.  They work we'll together and it would be nice to keep it that way for as long as possible.

I will wait until next year to judge A Rob.   I think and hope he could be very good second year in system and 2 year removed from injury.  But it remains to be seen.

Archived