2019 NFL Combine

SmittyBacall

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001017852/article/2019-nfl-scouting-combine-one-player-for-each-team-to-watch

Some interesting names matches to teams here and some buzz around players. Kaleb McGary generating 1st round buzz for example.

I could see that. McGary is very good. He's big and can mirror speed rushers surprisingly well despite being on the hefty side.

11 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I could see that. McGary is very good. He's big and can mirror speed rushers surprisingly well despite being on the hefty side.

Yeah, plays weirdly upright - but seems to gets away with it. A good line coach should get that out of him you would think. 

On 13/02/2019 at 3:36 PM, The LBC said:

This one probably hurts Ferguson a decent amount, because he already wasn't the most athletic guy to begin with.  That said, it may actually protect him a little because his inconsistent bend (there are times where it's absurdly great and times where it's non-existent if he doesn't first win with his handwork - which is really good) doesn't have as much chance to bite him in the butt.  Doesn't sound like it's going to hurt too badly though, because teams have already been quick to call to arrange for visits.

Yeah.  Hard to say how much it hurts him, without actually knowing how he'd test.

If he'd gone and tested out decently or better, it could've been huge for his draft stock.  Since the actual level of athleticism seems to be probably the biggest questionmark with him.  So potentially a big missed opportunity there.  But if he'd gone and tested out poorly, this should kinda spare him some of that.

Really, probably just puts a lot more pressure on his Pro Day (and private workouts) more than anything else.

On 2/13/2019 at 3:42 PM, goldfishwars said:

Which players do you think have the most to gain or lose via their performance at the combine? 

A lot of the receivers. Metcalf will have a lot to prove with his neck and recent pictures showing him so bulky, etc. Pariss Campbell stands a lot to gain. If someone falls in love with his athleticism he could go in the early second. There's some question about some of their athletic ability also.

Dexter Lawrence - some see him as a tub of lard and some see him as having been playing injured. Im interested to see how he tests

1 hour ago, pnies20 said:

Dexter Lawrence - some see him as a tub of lard

We have a word for those people--idiots.

Lawrence is typecasted as a big fat NT. I've seen people compare him to Danny Shelton. That's absolutely absurd and it reeks of zero-tape scouting. Dexter Lawrence has some real freaky athleticism and is probably pound for pound the most impressive athlete in this draft. Lawrence or DK Metcalf.

As far as other notables?

N'Keal Harry. He doesn't strike me as a 4.4 guy, but if he hits anywhere in that range, he's WR #1.

Josh Oliver. He's not getting much buzz, but he's going to light up the combine.

Greg Little. He's a very good athlete for the OT position. I wouldn't be surprised to see his speed #'s mirror that of the elite athlete OT's.

Terrill Hanks is going to have a great day. He's big and fast and has a rocked up frame.

JoeJuan Williams is a great 40 time away from being a 1st round pick. We'll see if he can hit the 4.4 range.

I can't wait to see TJ Hockenson test. Some people have called him slow, which I find to be ridiculous. He's not Vernon Davis fast, but he's certainly fast enough to roast LBers and safeties.

Will Hollywood Brown test as fast as he plays? He plays like a 4.25 guy.

Who's got the best bench press? Again, not that important, but I think it'll be Greg Gaines by a mile.

I also bet Dwayne Haskins times a lot better than people think. He's being typecasted as a statue. He's absolutely a pocket passer, but his legs are underrated. He's not freaking Bledsoe!

For my own curiosity, I'm very interested to see how much Joe Jackson weighs and how quickly he can run. He's my favorite (not top rated) DE from this class. I also want to see Jaquan Johnson run. I've seen several people say he's too slow. I expect him to have a great 40 time and excel in the agility drills as well.

8 hours ago, pnies20 said:

A lot of the receivers. Metcalf will have a lot to prove with his neck and recent pictures showing him so bulky, etc. Pariss Campbell stands a lot to gain. If someone falls in love with his athleticism he could go in the early second. There's some question about some of their athletic ability also.

Dexter Lawrence - some see him as a tub of lard and some see him as having been playing injured. Im interested to see how he tests

Dexter Lawrence is more like Vita Vea - both freakish for 330+ pounds.

11 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

We have a word for those people--idiots.

Lawrence is typecasted as a big fat NT. I've seen people compare him to Danny Shelton. That's absolutely absurd and it reeks of zero-tape scouting. Dexter Lawrence has some real freaky athleticism and is probably pound for pound the most impressive athlete in this draft. Lawrence or DK Metcalf.

As far as other notables?

N'Keal Harry. He doesn't strike me as a 4.4 guy, but if he hits anywhere in that range, he's WR #1.

Josh Oliver. He's not getting much buzz, but he's going to light up the combine.

Greg Little. He's a very good athlete for the OT position. I wouldn't be surprised to see his speed #'s mirror that of the elite athlete OT's.

Terrill Hanks is going to have a great day. He's big and fast and has a rocked up frame.

JoeJuan Williams is a great 40 time away from being a 1st round pick. We'll see if he can hit the 4.4 range.

I can't wait to see TJ Hockenson test. Some people have called him slow, which I find to be ridiculous. He's not Vernon Davis fast, but he's certainly fast enough to roast LBers and safeties.

Will Hollywood Brown test as fast as he plays? He plays like a 4.25 guy.

Who's got the best bench press? Again, not that important, but I think it'll be Greg Gaines by a mile.

I also bet Dwayne Haskins times a lot better than people think. He's being typecasted as a statue. He's absolutely a pocket passer, but his legs are underrated. He's not freaking Bledsoe!

For my own curiosity, I'm very interested to see how much Joe Jackson weighs and how quickly he can run. He's my favorite (not top rated) DE from this class. I also want to see Jaquan Johnson run. I've seen several people say he's too slow. I expect him to have a great 40 time and excel in the agility drills as well.

Agree with most of this for sure. JoeJuan Williams and Joe Jackson are also two of my favorites. Two more weeks until the fun begins! :)

2 hours ago, reamer said:

Interesting background on the Ferguson situation.

http://draftanalyst.com/update-jaylon-ferguson-modified-combine-invitations

What the heck?  The league is so wishy-washy on this stuff.

The Jaylon Ferguson thing i can understand reinstating his combine invite.  That one seemed like an big reaction to what appears to have been a fairly minor altercation many years ago, with no criminal record attached.

The Simmons disinvitation i thought had merit.  That was an absolutely major, high profile offense.  But weirder still...now that he's injured and can't do any of the relevant testing, he gets partially re-invited?  Honestly just feels like a ton of teams probably pressured the league to let him come after all, so they can get a look at medicals and prognosis on his injury or something.

Archived