2019 NFL Combine

SmittyBacall

49 minutes ago, m haynes said:

I did and you will be disappointed.

I immediately watched him and Jamel Dean. Came away unimpressed with both of them. I wanted to like Dean badly, but just didn't do anything special, and got burnt a couple of times. Looked like a 4.5 guy.

20 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I immediately watched him and Jamel Dean. Came away unimpressed with both of them. I wanted to like Dean badly, but just didn't do anything special, and got burnt a couple of times. Looked like a 4.5 guy.

Disagree with you on Jamel Dean in terms of his game tape.  For one a 4.3 is crazy impressive, would have never thought Dean could run that.  But on the field last year he stood out at times, competed very well and heck the guy played with a club on his hand basically the entire season, very difficult to do but he fought hard, still played aggressively and imagine what he could have done with two hands.  That alone impressed me in terms of his toughness and desire to play with that especially at corner, and with this 40 time he will rise come draft day, and his vertical was impressive and his bench was not bad either.  I had him as a 7th rounder before the combine, now might have moved up to a 6th or 5th rounder possibly.  

4 hours ago, Jeezla said:

David Long 6.45 3-cone

Amani Hooker 6.81 3-cone

Marvin Tell 6.63 3-cone

Rock Ya-Sin 7.31 3-cone :(

Damn it. Combine screwed us out of Devin Bush and Montez Sweat. Now, it's screwing up my ability to snag Winovich and Long as mid-round steals.

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Disagree with you on Jamel Dean in terms of his game tape.  For one a 4.3 is crazy impressive, would have never thought Dean could run that.  But on the field last year he stood out at times, competed very well and heck the guy played with a club on his hand basically the entire season, very difficult to do but he fought hard, still played aggressively and imagine what he could have done with two hands.  That alone impressed me in terms of his toughness and desire to play with that especially at corner, and with this 40 time he will rise come draft day, and his vertical was impressive and his bench was not bad either.  I had him as a 7th rounder before the combine, now might have moved up to a 6th or 5th rounder possibly.  

Yeah, I mean there's a place for Dean in the NFL through at least a rookie deal to see if he can mature into something more than a ST guy who contributes as a sub-package body.  His kind of speed and his tackling ability (it's not great, but it doesn't really have holes, it just is sensational) and his experience having done it already would be sought by most teams as a ST gunner, and his length, size, speed, and jumping ability will give teams at least a reason to try and develop him.

9 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Yeah, I mean there's a place for Dean in the NFL through at least a rookie deal to see if he can mature into something more than a ST guy who contributes as a sub-package body.  His kind of speed and his tackling ability (it's not great, but it doesn't really have holes, it just is sensational) and his experience having done it already would be sought by most teams as a ST gunner, and his length, size, speed, and jumping ability will give teams at least a reason to try and develop him.

Again maybe people never watched Auburn this year during the season or never watched Dean period, but seriously look what is on his hand.  I think he is more than just a special teams guy in the NFL.  He is well put together for a corner, has nice size and clearly great speed, he is well worth developing as a corner prospect, to me he was the best corner on Auburn this past year by far and usually went up against the best receivers each game.

Image result for jamel dean club hand

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Again maybe people never watched Auburn this year during the season or never watched Dean period, but seriously look what is on his hand.  I think he is more than just a special teams guy in the NFL.  He is well put together for a corner, has nice size and clearly great speed, he is well worth developing as a corner prospect, to me he was the best corner on Auburn this past year by far and usually went up against the best receivers each game.

Image result for jamel dean club hand

I don't disagree.  I'm just being dismissive of the folks that want to write him off because of "mediocre" tape.  He doesn't have the depth of tape that a number of other propsects have because of the injuries; those will both be held against him in evals by teams.  But he has the kind of tools that frankly teams will be more likely to spend draft picks on (particularly Day 3 when folks are taking lottery tickets) than the guys who are "solid-but-limited" in terms of ceiling while having similar or slightly-better floors.  The later are guys that, with the amount of underclassmen declares these days, make it to UDFA every year, whereas the former aren't typically available to be signed in that perioud unless they've got some serious red flags.

9 hours ago, The LBC said:

Crap instincts can neuter natural speed on tape pretty quickly, just saying.

Exactly, every year we see wonder athletes who look ponderous on film. Instincts, competitiveness and processing are always the missing ingredients and the most difficult intangibles to coach up.

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

Dean lack of effort stands out

Maybe he looks better to some but what I see is just bad to say the least. Matter of fact look at the 1:54 mark. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V1xw-kR_h8

One could look at almost any prospect and find points where he lacks effort, so if you want to find something wrong you will find something wrong.  No one is saying the guy is a 1st round pick or something.  He is a RS JR, but really is a RS SOPH in a way because that RS FR year he did not play because he was injured all season, played two seasons at Auburn only so does have some more improvement to make.  Saw a ton of action as a RS SOPH because Carlton Davis was on one side, and this year again as their best corner on the team and this combine performance helps as well.

And at the 20 second mark he makes a INT with that club hand which would be crazy hard to pull off.  But sure if one is going to go through every snap he lacks effort at times, show me a player who does not especially at corner.  

Where does Simmons land now that the combine is complete? A lot of guys had great weekends and vaulted themselves forward. Obviously Simmons is out for the year, but where would you be comfortable with your team taking him? 

4 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Where does Simmons land now that the combine is complete? A lot of guys had great weekends and vaulted themselves forward. Obviously Simmons is out for the year, but where would you be comfortable with your team taking him? 

If guys like Jaylon Smith and Sidney Jones are any indication, he won't slip past the early second at the latest. I'd bet that someone in the back-end of the 1st round will roll the dice on him/take him. The Patriots, Rams, or a team that has an additional 1st rounder/trade ammo to move back up and get him wouldn't be out of the question IMO.

Archived