2019 NFL Combine

SmittyBacall

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Wow! That's awesome for Taylor. He just helped his stock big-time. He never had bad feet, but moving 330+ pounds was tough for him. I also think he wore down late in games as a result and his technique died on him.

Yeah especially with weight being a big concern and him working his way down from like 360 when he was a freshman is really impressive to get to this point.  I think he's going to be a REALLY good RT in the NFL for a long time. 

I know the benefits of a big hand for QBs, but does anyone know the specifics? Like what are the important implications of the hand measurements, long fingers, a large palm, a proportional combo of both? Would someone with disproportionately long fingers, and thus a big hand size, still get a "boost" for his measurement? 

6 hours ago, jetjuice said:

Orlando Brown actually had good tape though. What held him back was his awful Combine. Ivey has a lot of bad film and I've seen it from scouting Jawaan Taylor. His technique is really poor and he doesn't seem all too strong.

I meant it more in the sense of a stylistic comparison of what he could be.  As a big, lengthy guy who can use that and just be hard to get around.  But i still don't think Ivey's tape is as bad as you're making it sound.  Especially if we're talking 2018 tape.  Sure, it's pretty "ugly" as a technician...but how often does he actually outright lose a rep catastrophically?  He doesn't have many of those big "wow" reps where he just absolutely dominates, but i see a guy who does a kinda ugly job...but mostly manages to get it done.  As a LT in the SEC.

In a league starved for competent OT play who can just...not lose badly...i think there's value in that.  Teams drool over "projects" they can potentially coach up to competent OTs.  Ivey looks like that to me.  He's already got the instincts for it.  Needs some work for sure...but he's got the measurables, he's got some decent tape from 2018 where he manages to look mostly serviceable in a power conference.

Probably a better "projection" comp would be...something like Jermey Parnell.

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I think Ivey is going to be a very good OG for someone. WIth that wing span, he could maybe move back out to tackle? There aren't many more physically impressive OL prospects than Ivey.

I do think Guard is a good fallback to have with Ivey.  He seems to have the tools to succeed there too, where things are a bit more condensed for him.  But with that length, and the fact probably his biggest issue is playing with leverage and knocking guys off their block...i honestly think he's probably best as a RT/Swing Tackle prospect.

4 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I know the benefits of a big hand for QBs, but does anyone know the specifics? Like what are the important implications of the hand measurements, long fingers, a large palm, a proportional combo of both? Would someone with disproportionately long fingers, and thus a big hand size, still get a "boost" for his measurement? 

Ball security and just gripping the thing with traffic flying all around them and hands swiping at it, plus generating that desired "spin" is the biggest thing.  Especially in bad weather, where the ball is that much harder to grip effectively.

As to the hypothetical "alien fingers" thing...that's not really how it works.  Guys don't "get a boost" for how big their hand is.  They get a red flag if their hand falls below a threshold.  It's more "pass/fail" than "plus/minus".

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

Daniel Jeremiah said in his podcast that he's heard Montez Sweat could run a sub 4.5 forty. 

That would be unreal. What does sweat weigh in at? 

It doesnt measure that mich functional for a dlinemen though, more interested in the 10 yard split, broad jump, and his ability to bend along with his motor.

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I meant it more in the sense of a stylistic comparison of what he could be.  As a big, lengthy guy who can use that and just be hard to get around.  But i still don't think Ivey's tape is as bad as you're making it sound.  Especially if we're talking 2018 tape.  Sure, it's pretty "ugly" as a technician...but how often does he actually outright lose a rep catastrophically?  He doesn't have many of those big "wow" reps where he just absolutely dominates, but i see a guy who does a kinda ugly job...but mostly manages to get it done.  As a LT in the SEC.

In a league starved for competent OT play who can just...not lose badly...i think there's value in that.  Teams drool over "projects" they can potentially coach up to competent OTs.  Ivey looks like that to me.  He's already got the instincts for it.  Needs some work for sure...but he's got the measurables, he's got some decent tape from 2018 where he manages to look mostly serviceable in a power conference.

Probably a better "projection" comp would be...something like Jermey Parnell.

He will get wrecked by sack technicians in the NFL. If he ever goes against a Khalil Mack or Chandler Jones, he is going to get embarrassed. He won't be able to get away with technique like that, but then again I guess it's possible to coach him straight. I wouldn't bank on it though, he's coming from UF who has cranked out lineman in the draft every year and they all somehow disappoint. I like his bookend mate Taylor a lot better.

8 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

I'm not high on Sweat in terms of pass rush moves but he runs sub 4.5 tough to bet against him.

Agreed. I'm more curious to see his agility drills, he looks sorta stiff to me but if he crushes these drills he'll solidify his stock.

40 speeds are fun, but it's far more important to see the other results ( 3 c - 10-20 yd splits - shuttle - vert - bj ). 

10 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

If I understand the question. Hand measurements can be advantageous for all positions. QBs were mentioned above. For the trench players, so much is about leverage and hand battles to get that leverage. Receiving options of course should have less trouble plucking away from their body, and not fumbling after the catch/run. 2nd and 3rd level defenders better able to grab/disengage.

I'd put greater importance on arm reach, for most, though. 

If an OL/DL has 9.5" or 11" hands, I'm not all that swayed. If a WR/CB has 8" hands or 10" hands, I am more swayed.. generally speaking. 

If a non-RB player has short of 32" arm reach.. I'm going to have to start factoring in other things in regard to what level to place some concern.

Archived