2019 NFL Combine

SmittyBacall

31 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

...he passed the threshold, thought I said that pretty clearly. Just because he'll be the shortest QB in the NFL doesn't mean he didn't pass the threshold teams use. That line of reasoning would assume that the current shortest QB is right at the bottom threshold, which isn't the case. That's why I said the thresholds extend beyond just current players. The thresholds teams use go back way before Russell Wilson, the idea of a short quarterback not only existed before Russell Wilson but actually happened successfully before Russell Wilson. People either just choose to forget that or don't bother to learn about it in the first place.

Wait, so teams used a below 5'10 height threshold for QBs pre Russell Wilson?  What's the source for this? 

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

Wait, so teams used a below 5'10 height threshold for QBs pre Russell Wilson?  What's the source for this? 

And i know QBs shorter than Wilson existed, but those are exceptions not thresholds. Let's not pretend that Wilson has been seen as anything other than an exception. Dude was drafted in the 3rd round, he wasn't hitting any height thresholds. 

I personally though the so called threshold was 6'0" prior to Wilson.  I think Wilson lowered the bar no pun intended.

It still all about throwing from the pocket first, using your legs to buy time second, and using your legs to run as a last resort.  Guys that are throw first run second even though they can run and are athletically gifted will still do better then the run first guys.  It's why the Wilson's, Baker's and likely Murray's (smaller stature guys) that are accurate from the pocket will be just fine in the NFL.  If you can throw accurately you have a chance to succeed which Murray seems to be able to do. 

1. J.J. Arcega-Whiteside 6'2 225
  2. Miles Boykin 6'3 3/4" 220 
  3. AJ Brown 6'0 1/2" 226
  4. Hakeem Butler 6'5 3/8" 227
  5. Jazz Ferguson 6'4 5/8" 227
  6. Kelvin Harmon 6'2 1/2" 221
  7. N'Keal Harry 6'2 3/8" 228
  8. Jalen Hurd 6'4 3/4" 226
  9. DK Metcalf 6'3 3/8" 228

9 WR's that are at least 220 lbs

1. Tyre Brady 6'2 7/8" 211
  2. Emannuel Butler 6'3 1/8" 217
  3. Jamal Custis 6'4" 214 
  4. Felton Davis 6'3 1/2" 211
  5. Keelan Doss 6'2" 211
  6. Ashton Dulin 6'1 3/8" 215 
  7. Travis Fulgham 6'2 1/2" 215
  8. Lil'Jordan Humphrey 6'3 5/8" 210
  9. Gary Jennings 6'1" 214
  10. Deebo Samuel 5'11 1/4" 214
  11. David Sills 6'3 1/4" 211
  12. Jaylen Smith 6'2 1/4" 219
  13. Jamarius Way 6'3 1/2" 215

Another 13 WR's that are at least 210

This has got to be the biggest WR class ever from height/weight viewpoint.

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

So he didn't exceed the height threshold then? Thresholds extend further back than current players yeah, but pre Russell Wilson nobody thought a guy his height could play in the NFL and if he didn't exist then people would still be trashing Murray's size. 

Murray is a weigh-in winner purely because he exceed low expectations. 

Yeah, not really sure why people are so excited about Murray being 5'10. He's still extremely small. 

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah, not really sure why people are so excited about Murray being 5'10. He's still extremely small. 

I don't see the bid deal.  There are RB's that size that run between the tackles.  He'll be fine as long as he is accurate and can slide well in the pocket.  Two things I see no reason he can't excel at.  Guys like Brees and Russel were never top 10 in batted passes at the LOS which is something you always hear about with short QB's.  With the spread offenses and shotgun RPO most teams run the league is different and accuracy can overcome height.  I would love to have him as my QB if my team needed one.

Archived