2019 NFL Combine

SmittyBacall

1 minute ago, Bonanza23 said:

I honestly don’t know why I even come in here. 

Players rising and dropping down rounds based on the combine. 

It definitely gives the media something to do. And somehow someway the nfl more money. 

It's interesting to watch. For me, it's more curiosity than anything. I want to see the measurements and testing. Sometimes, it'll turn me onto guys I hadn't known about previously, but it never makes me rethink the guys whom I've evaluated.

13 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's interesting to watch. For me, it's more curiosity than anything. I want to see the measurements and testing. Sometimes, it'll turn me onto guys I hadn't known about previously, but it never makes me rethink the guys whom I've evaluated.

Yeah I get what you’re saying and I agree somewhat. But I’ve never really seen anybody rise or fall based on these measurements. Now one thing I wish I could be a part of are the interviews. From what I’ve heard those are the most important part of the combine. 

1 minute ago, Bonanza23 said:

Yeah I get what you’re saying and I agree somewhat. But I’ve never really seen anybody rise or fall based on these measurements. Now one thing I wish I could be a part of are the interviews. From what I’ve heard those are the most important part of the combine. 

Eh, I think measurements have hurt people. But it's more confirmation than anything. For example, if a guy has drop issues and measures in with 8.5 inch hands, I'm more inclined to think that won't change than a guy who has drop issues with 10.5 inch hands. It's not going to make a major difference for me, but it could matter at the fringes.

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

The combine reaction "wow, this guy has 11 2/3 inch hands, definite first round pick".

The best part about it is all the small stories and nuggets from the broadcast about the players, how they have developed, things coaches say etc. 

Not all the drills in particular - jumping high might show some explosiveness, but doesn't say anything about the player doing it in a game if it is a receiver/DB. Balance and body control is such a big component that you can't deduct much from a guys vertical leap at the combine.

14 hours ago, SBLIII said:

I would be shocked if Brown is a 1st rounder at 5-9 and sub 170. 

I don't think it'll necessarily slide him out of the 1st.  The league is far too desperate for speed and big play weapons.  But weighing in at only 166 and only 5'9"...it's not great. 

It's where i kinda figured the injury was gonna be a bit of a double-whammy for him.  Not only in that it'll introduce a little bit of hesitation on how he'll recover and if there's any risk of losing some of his special explosiveness...but in that the "weigh-in" was always gonna be Hollywood's worst event at the combine.  Now he doesn't have the opportunity to wash that disappointing measuring tape event away by posting some great numbers in the rest of the events, reaffirming his dynamic athleticism.  He's going to have a lot of teams leaving the combine thinking about 166lbs, instead of thinking about a blazing fast 40 and dynamic workout numbers.

idk how much it'll ultimately hurt his draft stock...but it certainly won't help him.

Archived