2019 NFL Combine

SmittyBacall

3 hours ago, mse326 said:

Generally stamina is not what is being talked about when you talk about athleticism. Look at the testing results. That is a special athlete.

It is when you talk about an offensive lineman. The testing numbers are cool and all, but they aren't "special" (that's my point in all of this, he's being hyped like he's Lane Johnson when he's just not). Are the numbers very good and well above average? Sure. Are they an indicator of what makes a good athlete on the offensive line? Not really. Most are pretty meaningless. I don't think he's a bad OL athlete, he's actually a pretty good OL athlete, but he isn't special and there are significant issues about him as a prospect that are being overlooked because people are (incorrectly) identifying him as a special athlete. 

39 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

It is when you talk about an offensive lineman. The testing numbers are cool and all, but they aren't "special" (that's my point in all of this, he's being hyped like he's Lane Johnson when he's just not). Are the numbers very good and well above average? Sure. Are they an indicator of what makes a good athlete on the offensive line? Not really. Most are pretty meaningless. I don't think he's a bad OL athlete, he's actually a pretty good OL athlete, but he isn't special and there are significant issues about him as a prospect that are being overlooked because people are (incorrectly) identifying him as a special athlete. 

IDOG, you gotta chill, bro. I respect your OL opinions, but you're so adamant about this that it's coming off like a personal crusade.

14 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

IDOG, you gotta chill, bro. I respect your OL opinions, but you're so adamant about this that it's coming off like a personal crusade.

I mean, I was chill when I wrote that. I'm sure it might come off differently because I communicate pretty directly, but it's not personal for me. You know me well enough to know that if I'm certain about something it's only because I've put in the time and effort to research my standpoint. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again, but I've watched enough of Dillard to say that he isn't an elite OL athlete (which is the only claim I've refuted about him so far)

1 minute ago, IDOG_det said:

I mean, I was chill when I wrote that. I'm sure it might come off differently because I communicate pretty directly, but it's not personal for me. You know me well enough to know that if I'm certain about something it's only because I've put in the time and effort to research my standpoint. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again, but I've watched enough of Dillard to say that he isn't an elite OL athlete (which is the only claim I've refuted about him so far)

I understand, man. You are one of the best at breaking down OLs' games piece by piece on this board (if not the best). But I feel like I've seen a bunch of Dillard posts from you of late knocking the kid. I get that you think he's overhyped, but at some point, you just gotta say your piece and move on.

1 hour ago, IDOG_det said:

Same broad jump and better 20 yard shuttle. Only 4 less reps on the BP. Lane had a better 40, vert and 3 cone. Whatever extra leg power the vert says the broad counters 3 cone and shuttle both test change of direction. So what because he doesn't have long speed he isn't the same athlete? Maybe a bit lower but not much. And saying he isn't equal to the best athlete at the position doesn't counter him being a great athlete. To say his numbers aren't special tells me you just hate the guy. It is ok to say he is a great athlete but has on field playing deficiencies. 

As for stamina I don't consider that a trait that gets considered in calling some a special athlete regardless of position. I also didn't see the same thing you did. Nothing that indicated he'll have trouble with it in the NFL. Nor did that show on tape.

Again saying that people are getting to wrapped up in the athlete and overlooking the football player is perfectly legitimate, but trying to claim he isn't a special athlete just comes off as having it out for the kid.

13 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Same broad jump and better 20 yard shuttle. Only 4 less reps on the BP. Lane had a better 40, vert and 3 cone. Whatever extra leg power the vert says the broad counters 3 cone and shuttle both test change of direction. So what because he doesn't have long speed he isn't the same athlete? Maybe a bit lower but not much. And saying he isn't equal to the best athlete at the position doesn't counter him being a great athlete. To say his numbers aren't special tells me you just hate the guy. It is ok to say he is a great athlete but has on field playing deficiencies. 

As for stamina I don't consider that a trait that gets considered in calling some a special athlete regardless of position. I also didn't see the same thing you did. Nothing that indicated he'll have trouble with it in the NFL. Nor did that show on tape.

Again saying that people are getting to wrapped up in the athlete and overlooking the football player is perfectly legitimate, but trying to claim he isn't a special athlete just comes off as having it out for the kid.

He resembles a guy like Jason Spriggs more than he resembles someone like Lane Johnson. Testing numbers that look good but ultimately mean little when we talk about what makes for a good player and a good OL athlete. Being a special/elite athlete on the OL isn't determined by combine tests, those tests don't actually measure what a good athlete is in regard to OL play (which is why I said this before the combine, because I already saw it on the field). Different positions require different athletic skill sets, and the combine tests aren't designed at all to properly evaluate an OLs athletic ability relevant to playing the position. I've called Dillard a good athlete, I've just said he isn't special/elite and I would argue there are other guys who are better OL athletes in this class. Why does that equal me hating him? I don't have personal feelings against him, I've simply just stated how I view his abilities as a player and used the example of him getting gassed at the combine to call out the people who called me a "hater" for having a different viewpoint.

Archived