2019 NFL Combine

SmittyBacall

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Do you guys miss Mayock covering the draft/combine at this point in time?

He was always my favorite media guy.

Yea, but I guess this is the culmination of all those great years of coverage lol. Now whenever the Raiders pick you can go "Oh, so that's who Mayock would actually pick". It's definitely going to add an interesting dynamic when watching the draft. 

Some kinda bigtime snubs this year.  Penny Hart, Hodge, Ratliff-Williams, a few others too.  There are always a few here and there that you could argue, but this year it feels like there are some absolute layups missed.

On 09/02/2019 at 10:01 AM, reamer said:

I guess I'm used to seeing more level headed takes from Zierlein. Maybe I just caught a few that I don't agree with -- instead of giving him grief for it, perhaps I should reevaluate. Maybe he saw something I didn't.

You're not alone in that.  Just taking a quick flip through a few of the writeups, already noted some kinda peculiar things for me.  Certainly used to him being pretty even-keel and a decent reference point/litmus test for roughly what the league tends to think of a guy on average.  Seems like some more "hot take" style to them this year.  But that could also just be another unlucky sample on first perusal.  Or of course it could just be that those thoughts are fairly representative of general league perceptions and it's my takes that are way out there going in this year.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Some kinda bigtime snubs this year.  Penny Hart, Hodge, Ratliff-Williams, a few others too.  There are always a few here and there that you could argue, but this year it feels like there are some absolute layups missed.

You're not alone in that.  Just taking a quick flip through a few of the writeups, already noted some kinda peculiar things for me.  Certainly used to him being pretty even-keel and a decent reference point/litmus test for roughly what the league tends to think of a guy on average.  Seems like some more "hot take" style to them this year.  But that could also just be another unlucky sample on first perusal.  Or of course it could just be that those thoughts are fairly representative of general league perceptions and it's my takes that are way out there going in this year.

Penny Hart that is odd he did not make it, especially with his speed as a WR.  

Some other surprise non invites would be Devine Ozigbo.  Guy is a tank, had a great year 235 pound back with good potential and running ability, I would be more interested in seeing him at the combine than say Nick Brossette.  Another RB Darwin Thompson, a guy who could have done very well at the combine surprised he did not get a invite as well, apparently is a beast in the weight room.

One other would be Terronne Prescod, OG at NC State I thought the kid could play and has NFL ability, is a mauler and would have liked to see him there also.

On 2/8/2019 at 7:18 PM, byrdbrane said:

Simmons was dis-invited to the Combine for off the field things

Well, he also tore his ACL earlier this week too, so he wasn't going to be working out at the combine even if he had been invited.  I suppose where the non-invite hurts him most here is that he won't have the opportunity to at least interview with scouts/teams at the combine.

9 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Which players do you think have the most to gain or lose via their performance at the combine? 

At the top of the draft, Gary would be one for me. His stock is as high as it is because of his athletic profile in my opinion. His production on the field was uneven at best, so the thought of him as a guy that can go in the top 5 of this draft hinges on him blowing up the combine in my opinion. I don't think an "okay" performance would completely crush him or anything, but I do think that there's a world of difference between going top 5 and potentially top 25 or something. 

Hakeem Butler I think is a guy that could get a huge boost from a dynamite combine. 

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

This one probably hurts Ferguson a decent amount, because he already wasn't the most athletic guy to begin with.  That said, it may actually protect him a little because his inconsistent bend (there are times where it's absurdly great and times where it's non-existent if he doesn't first win with his handwork - which is really good) doesn't have as much chance to bite him in the butt.  Doesn't sound like it's going to hurt too badly though, because teams have already been quick to call to arrange for visits.

Another guy I think could probably make a modest jump would be the U's Michael Jackson.  His COD skills aren't great, but if he has good training sessions leading up to the workout at the combine, he has enough to look better in the drills than his film has belied.  Enough that if he doesn't have a terrible 40 time, that teams will like his size and his splash play reel, and he could secure himself Day 2 selection.

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

Another guy I think could probably make a modest jump would be the U's Michael Jackson.  His COD skills aren't great, but if he has good training sessions leading up to the workout at the combine, he has enough to look better in the drills than his film has belied.  Enough that if he doesn't have a terrible 40 time, that teams will like his size and his splash play reel, and he could secure himself Day 2 selection.

I don't really like him. He's purely a zone corner and will not hold up playing consistent man coverage. He's going to time poorly methinks. His technique leaves a lot to be desired and while he has some potential as a zone corner, he's very overrated right now. I have him in the 5th round range, but it sounds like some consider him a mid-late 2nd rounder. That's crazy to me.

Archived