2019 NFL Combine

SmittyBacall

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

True.  But some NFL teams have been burned by bad character guys more than others, so they're probably trying to safeguard against that moving forward.

I get that, but I’m not sure how much you learn about a guy in 15 min.  If you’re that worried about how they’ll respond, maybe it’s best to just looks elsewhere. Plenty of guys with zero character concerns to choose from.

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

For job I think it's necessary to test and see if a athlete can respond well to insults and such.

Why?  What does this prove?  Am I supposed to believe I should think less of someone for taking exception to personal attacks?

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

Random question - 

If Montez Sweat could catch decently well, but had never played a down at the position in his life, what round would you take a flier on him to be a tight end? 

Moritz Bohringer tested like an elite athlete and went in the 6th. Probably in and around that draft slot. 

26 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Hes used this line "bash" on almost all of his interviews. He even said the same about Green Bay. He needs to stop airing out his dirty laundry in interviews to the media. Its really bringing some maturity questions into play.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, the niners appear to be really be digging into these guys. Not going to lie...kind of surprised from Shanny and Lynch. Doesn't come across that way. Foster must have really jaded them lol. 

That Foster lesson is def one to learn from...lol

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Why?  What does this prove?  Am I supposed to believe I should think less of someone for taking exception to personal attacks?

It proves you're not gonna fly off the handle at the first rude comment someone makes to you.

That you can take it on the chin and still keep going. Weeding out frail characters like Polite.

26 minutes ago, Forge said:

Random question - 

If Montez Sweat could catch decently well, but had never played a down at the position in his life, what round would you take a flier on him to be a tight end? 

Who works out better at the wrong position- Noah Fant at edge or Montez Sweat at tight end?

Just now, Calvert28 said:

It proves you're not gonna fly off the handle at the first rude comment someone makes to you.

That you can take it on the chin and still keep going.

So being able to do it for 15 min in a structured setting means you’re home free?  Proves it in fact? Idk man, I’m just guessing here, but I’m assuming these dudes who’ve been in the public eye to some degree since they were in high school have probably heard a rude comment or two before.

I don’t think the 9ers are breaking new ground here.

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So being able to do it for 15 min in a structured setting means you’re home free?  Proves it in fact? Idk man, I’m just guessing here, but I’m assuming these dudes who’ve been in the public eye to some degree since they were in high school have probably heard a rude comment or two before.

I don’t think the 9ers are breaking new ground here.

Well lets put it this way. If these guys can't even handle it in front of teams they may spend the next 5 to 10 years with for like 15 minutes. Then how will they handle it with a angry fan from their own team or from another who likes going out of their way to tell them they suck?

5 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Well lets put it this way. If these guys can't even handle it in front of teams they may spend the next 5 to 10 years with for like 15 minutes. Then how will they handle it with a angry fan from their own team or from another who likes going out of their way to tell them they suck?

Lol I get what they’re attempting to do, I just think it’s hella stupid.

If they don’t react well, it doesn’t mean they will in the future under different circumstances.

If they do react well, it doesn’t mean.... you get the idea.

Teams should have multiple sources who’ve known the individual for years to help form your opinion of their character, not some halfassed good cop/bad cop routine during an interview.

But, the proof is in the pudding I suppose and who am I to argue with the methods of a franchise who was able to weed out Reuben Foster a mere 18 months after drafting him.

5 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Devin Bush needs to do something about his hair. Even The Weekend is laughing at that stupid haircut.

Anyone who calls themselves something as stupid as "the weekend" has no right to ever criticize anyone for anything... Ever...

19 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Lol I get what they’re attempting to do, I just think it’s hella stupid.

If they don’t react well, it doesn’t mean they will in the future under different circumstances.

If they do react well, it doesn’t mean.... you get the idea.

Teams should have multiple sources who’ve known the individual for years to help form your opinion of their character, not some halfassed good cop/bad cop routine during an interview.

But, the proof is in the pudding I suppose and who am I to argue with the methods of a franchise who was able to weed out Reuben Foster a mere 18 months after drafting him.

I will say though, right or wrong, those questions will happen (as you said, not like the 49ers broke new ground in this situation) and a player's reaction does matter. I think Polite legitimately damaged his stock because of what came after, and I think that is the thing to focus on. Basically putting the 49ers and Packers on blast, then following that up by pulling out of the combine when it wasn't going well. His injury may 100% be real (though as Ledyard tweeted out, he forgot to fake his injury before just announcing he had one and withdrawing lol), but I don't think there's any way that after his comments about the teams interviewing him that and saying everyone was blasting him, that there aren't some teams out there right now who may feel like he pulled a, "this sucks, I'm doing crappy so I'm taking my ball and going home". I absolutely think that there are teams questioning a lot of the mental side of the game with him right now. 

Archived