2019 NFL Combine

SmittyBacall

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If only teams had 3, 4 years of game tape to investigate such a “what if”....

I realize this seems to be a sensitive issue for you (for some reason), but when you're talking about investing millions of dollars into an employee, you don't leave stones unturned and you use all avenues available to you to be as thorough as possible.  Stop pretending like them having tape and them using this approach to investigate for character concerns are mutually exclusive.  They're not.  Hell, maybe the press certain guys because of stuff they've seen on tape.  Maybe they press guys in a certain way because not doing so in the past caused them to miss something on a guy they did invest in.  It's called troubleshooting and it's extremely common practice.

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Depends on the job. 

True.

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I've been more involved in the hiring process at my school the last couple years and I know for a fact that we make a point to see how candidates respond to someone trying to get under their skin... because you can pretty much guarantee that a student will (because some teenagers get a kick out of just plain being Richards if they think it's going to make them "look cooler" or get some sort of leverage).  Similarly, if a a candidate is just going to turtle and cow to the slightest bit of adversity or confrontation, we need to know that too.

Going back to your first point though, the league is a small community.  Football in generally really.  People know one another and have contacts.

Teams should be able to source these contacts and get a decent idea as to what they’re dealing with before even meeting with the player.  They get to talk to their teammates, their opponents, opposing coaches, etc.

Also, as I referenced earlier, a lot of these guys have been in the public eye for 6-8 years to some degree.  It’s a different world than hiring people for a job in a world that’s much more private.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

I realize this seems to be a sensitive issue for you (for some reason),

Because I think it’s stupid it’s a sensitive issue for me?  If you say so.... I guess I should just agree with you so I don’t appear as sensitive, idk...?

but when you're talking about investing millions of dollars into an employee, you don't leave stones unturned and you use all avenues available to you to be as thorough as possible.  Stop pretending like them having tape and them using this approach to investigate for character concerns are mutually exclusive.  They're not. 

Literally never said they were. I just dont see the value personally. Never said you or anyone else had to agree.

Hell, maybe the press certain guys because of stuff they've seen on tape.  Maybe they press guys in a certain way because not doing so in the past caused them to miss something on a guy they did invest in.  It's called troubleshooting and it's extremely common practice.

Just because it’s commonly done doesn’t mean it’s worthwhile.  Don’t believe me?  Go back and watch the kickers run 40’s and tell me what you leaned. 

I’m sure you probably feel the questions that have come out in years past re: players sexuality, asking if their mother’s a prostitute, etc., are cool though.  Teams need info and all and cuz lots of money....

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Reportedly Polite did aggravate his hammy 10 days ago, so it's possible his dropping out was legitimate.  I'm not sure there's a player with more riding on his pro day and team visits though.

For sure, but it’s hard to unring the “I don’t really even watch tape of myself” bell.

Just now, NoDakViking said:

Also that 1.6% number has been put down by just about everybody.  That low body fat would likely be fatal

Yeah, you can pretty much scratch the likely.

Even if you were somehow managing to cling to life, you sure as hell wouldn’t be running 4.3’s.

2 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Didn't expect Winovich to go sub 7.00 in the three cone, looked fluid in the drills as well. Definitely starting to look like he's a lber in the NFL 

2 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Winovich has way better numbers than his tape indicates.

Winovich's tape is damn good. I think he's very underrated.

3 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, it sort of depends on how he responds to the follow up- "would you, if a coach asked you to?"

I’d have to believe a coach has asked him to before now.

Additionally, I think it shows a complete lack of awareness to even allow that sentence to fly out of your face. 

Archived